Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed camera detectors - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 10:36 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting one of these (don't know which one yet) but are they really worth it? I got caught many years ago but have been OK ever since, probably have been very lucky.

Phil
Old 23 January 2004, 10:41 AM
Andy486
Scooby Regular

Apparently they aren't quick enough to warn you about the vans and don't work at all for SPECS. I thought about getting one but then sat in a friends car that had one fitted and it was going off all the time for traffic lights, automatic doors and god knows what else.

Tend to behave in 30s and 40s and take a chance in the nationals.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:41 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

GPS....Road Angel with laser detector, funnily enough just like this one.....
Old 23 January 2004, 10:42 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yes, but in a diminishing sense. They're still useful for fixed Gatsos. However, the number of 'passive' systems is increasing (like Truvelo and Specs) and the traditional detector is no good for those. You need a GPS-based Road Angel-style device to warn you of those. However, neither of the above will actually help (much) against portable laser detectors. The Road Angel could be used to warn of frequently-used ambush sites, but by the time you're 'hit' any detector is probably just warning you that you have an NIP in the post. If you want to do more against the laser devices, then a jammer is required. Or just be sure you never, ever break the speed limit.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:49 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
What they cost? £300?

That's 5 speeding tickets so save the money for another time. Be observant and circumspect as to where you might exceed the speed limit.

I got Nip'd the other day & that was because I was cruisin a bit too fast & wasn't being as observant as usual. It was a van, so the chances of anything actually detecting it when I came out from behind the lorry I was passing before it got me are slim.

Not worth it IMHO & I won't be buying one.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:54 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

good way of putting Puff, might ride on my luck for a bit longer and see what happens.

If I do decide to get one is the Road Angel the best one?

Phil
Old 23 January 2004, 10:54 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I'm with Andy, the only ones I've seen in action go off all the time, apart from when a copper points a laser at you

If I bought anything it would be Road angel, only going off for fixed Gatso's.

PS Anyone else hear they may but minor offences down to two points on the radio today ?
Old 23 January 2004, 11:21 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

What about the Blackspot laser detector for £100 is that any good?
Old 23 January 2004, 12:12 PM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Jake

no its a waste of time , all it will tell you is that you have a NIP due in the post
Old 23 January 2004, 12:27 PM
Guzzit
Scooby Regular

I've had a Road Angel for about 6 months now & have to say it works a treat. It's very reliable for all fixed camera systems. It's especially useful if you're in part of the country you're not familiar with.
I have some doubts about the Laser Detector thats comes with the kit, it has triggered a couple of times but no ticket yet so maybe it was picking up some scatter/divergence.
Old 23 January 2004, 12:33 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Whilst I agree that the laser detector function of these is "limited" to say the least, I have a snooper (can't remember what model offhand) and it has given me very brief warning before now of laser guns - but as I always tend to stick to 30's and 40's it doesn't really bother me.

Where I find it very usefull is on motorway runs, I do quite a bit of driving at times when there isn't much traffic on them and don't always sit at 70mph

On the M5 run back from somerset a few weeks ago every other bridge had a copper on sitting in his car with his hairdryer hanging out of the window, and these are usually radar as laser tends to rigidly mounted (in vans, tripods on pavement etc) and it picked up every signal and gave me time to slow down.

In town yes they are a pain in the backside and as I stick to limit I turn the thing off

Matt
Old 23 January 2004, 12:48 PM
Gatso Busters
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Guys

There seems to be a much confusion here.

Firstly the GPS based units such as the ROAD PILOT and Origin b2 will give you warnings of all fixed cameras ie GATSO's Truvello's and SPECS systems(Truvello's and SPECS systems are digital). All these units have adjustable warning settings and because the database, from which they run, is excellent they do not give false warnings. I have tested all on the market and only sell these 2 units.

A convential Radar detector will not give any warning of the many digital systems on the roads today !

Now mobile sites are predominately laser operated guns. The Laser Detector on the Road Angel and on similar products is completely useless as by he time you recieve a warning the Police will have recorded your speed - Lasers work on the speed of light !! A Laser beam is very narrow and the operator needs to target one car at a time - if you are following a targeted car you will not recieve any advance warning from a Laser Detector !

The only way to counter this is with a Laser Jammer - the unit will warn you are being targeted and give you sufficient time to slow down whilst jamming the Laser. The LRC100 is the best and smallest device on the market and is stand alone and fitted underneath the front number plate.

It is worth bearing in mind no one product will cover all speed traps - a mixture of GPS and Jammer will give the best money can buy !

I hope this clarifies the situation. I have been in the industry for a while and am always willing to offer any advice on the subject.

Cheers

Robert
Mobilecentre Ltd - Check out my Ad Banner !
Old 23 January 2004, 03:24 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

Gonna agree with Gatso Busters here...ive got the Road Pilot and the laser jammer and you can drive with a lot more confidence that you will get some sort of warning to slow down whether it be for fixed or mobile sites. I travel 30k a year and have to have my licence...one moment of lapsed concentration,(and we all do it,)and you could end up with a ban (worst case). Invest the money in the equipment IMHO.

Hope this is of some help..
J-K
Old 23 January 2004, 03:59 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

GB,

What do you think of the Road Angel? I've never thought that I needed anything other than observation, care and a feel for the kind of places mobile speed traps are set up and to this day, I have a 100% record of a) predicting where a trap will be b) spotting them in plenty of time. However, with the increasing use of SPECS on motorways, I'm not certain how likely I am to spot these and would like some protection against these. I tend to travel at 80-85mph on my speedo which is probably only just over the limit in reality but I would like to have some warning about SPECS, just in case.

A friend has a Road Angel and I was very impressed with it, especially when it warns you about "real" accident black spots (like certain roundabouts and tricky bends) as opposed to the accident blackspots that the authorities put their cameras up at ( ). I've been thinking of buying one of these due to their simple looks and from what I've seen of them vs the cost.

Matt
Old 23 January 2004, 04:19 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

You do get some scatter from a laser, this can be picked up. My S6 gives me laser alerts a good distance from the target, but only in bursts.
Old 23 January 2004, 04:28 PM
Gatso Busters
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Matt

Personally speaking I would not go for a Road Angel - it is a fairly old product running with old technology - the database is lacking in accuracy. There are better products on the market for the same money. I would recommend a Micro Road Pilot (£330 inc vat and next day carriage)as it will give you a far superior database, it is smaller and comes with a seperate GPS aerial. This means it does not have to be stuck on top of the dash. The point you made about accident black spots is ok ,but if there is a black spot you can guarantee there will be a camera there...

I hope this helps

Cheers

Robert
Old 23 January 2004, 04:33 PM
Gatso Busters
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary

A laser beams scatter will be 2ft wide after a distance of 600 yards !!!

This is why I would not rely on a Laser Detector...

The warnings you are recieving may be false warnings...

Cheers

Robert

[Edited by Gatso Busters - 1/23/2004 4:37:56 PM]
Old 23 January 2004, 04:53 PM
Gatso Busters
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hope my advice helps.....
Old 23 January 2004, 05:00 PM
ChrisB

I've had the original Geodesey since August 2001.

I don't it use when I'm going to work or running around town. I know where all the GATSOs are from memory. For the new Scamera vans around here I take my chances with the Mark I Eyeball.

I find the Geodesy is great when away from home though. I can concentrate on watching the road and following directions without having to worry if there's a GATSO behind a road sign. Also ideal for m-way roadworks that might be loaded with SPECs or GATSOs.

It might not have the LCD screens of the new generation devices but it's a <Ronseal> product
Old 23 January 2004, 05:28 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I use Geodesy for fixed sites and my eyes for everything else. However doing 30,000 miles a year my luck is bound to run out.

I am tempted by a laser jammer but just not been tempted enough yet!
Old 23 January 2004, 05:41 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

Gatso buster
I would recommend a Micro Road Pilot (£330 inc vat and next day carriage)
Nicely put Sir ! any chance of a discount then for a group buy ????? assumming there's enough intrest ???

oh and a corner to boot

[Edited by Dazza01 - 1/23/2004 5:42:21 PM]
Old 23 January 2004, 05:48 PM
Gatso Busters
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Dazza

Of course a group would be of interest to me - would you like to run it ..?

Mail me if you are interested

Cheers

Robert
robert@mobilecentre.co.uk
Old 23 January 2004, 07:44 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Last group buy was £299 from memory, for 15 plus.

MB
Old 23 January 2004, 07:56 PM
Gatso Busters
Scooby Regular

MB - your memory serves you well

Micro Road Pilot supplied for £299 inc VAT...

Any more takers...????
Old 23 January 2004, 09:27 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

True, beam divergence is small, ie 2ft after 600 yrds, but thats not what I meant.

If the beam is on and targeting a moving object their will be some scatter. If the beam was not reflected, it would not be much use as a speed detection device. If the beam did not scatter the detector would have to hit a parallel surface to ensure the reflected beam hit the detector.

Not much use if no one is targeted before you get hit but the idea is that you can pick up the bursts near(ish) to the site and drive accordingly.
Old 24 January 2004, 08:59 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Has anyone started a group buy yet? If not, I'll do it.

Phil
Old 24 January 2004, 09:03 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I have the Origin B2 which is wired to a LRC 100 Jammer...

Works really well,no false alarms and had the jammer go off three times when been targetted by laser, three times in Wales ironically
Old 24 January 2004, 03:09 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Does anyone know if the LRC100 jammer can be connected to the Snooper S6-R Neo ?

Old 24 January 2004, 04:47 PM
Darren R
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if the LRC100 jammer can be connected to the Snooper S6-R Neo
No, but why would you want to
Old 24 January 2004, 05:54 PM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Been playing with a laser gun earlier today , I hace a B2 connected to a LRC100 , what is odd is although the LRC100 works the B2 does not give a diffuser alert

Quick Reply: Speed camera detectors - worth it?