Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

using creatine while training

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 09:31 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know much about the affects of using creatine while training up at the gym regularly?

What are the pro's and cons of the stuff?

I've had a read around but the most that i can find are adverts and companies saying buy our stuff... its great!!

Has anyone on here tried it??
Old 23 January 2004, 09:47 AM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

My uncle who is in the pharmaceutical business, used to get me the stuff (I have a group of friends who were working out a lot), this was about 2 years ago now.

One of my friends recently asked me to get him another batch, so I asked my uncle, but he would not get me any this time. Due to the fact when Creatine first came out, people did not know the long term affect it had on the body. Now 2 years or more down the line, these affects are begining to show and they are not good.

Apparently the stuff can cause liver or kidney problems (I cant exactly rememebr what he told me) and a lot of top athletes dont touch the stuff anymore.

This is what I have been told, and have no reason to doubt it.

Hope it helps

Mark
Old 23 January 2004, 09:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I've used it and had good gains from it. I'm going to take it again starting mid Feb.

When using it just make sure you drink plenty of water.
Old 23 January 2004, 09:56 AM
philz
Scooby Regular

Creatine is naturally occuring in the body and is totally safe if you don't overdose on the stuff. You could eat a load of steak every day and get your creatine from that but it wouldn't be as easy as a quick spoonful in juice.

5g per day when loading and 2g per day during maintenance will be fine. The problem is that most bodybuilders think that more is always better and take stupid amounts of the stuff. They do the same with protein too, there is an upper limit to everything and there's just no need to take 30g of creatine per day, or 400g of protein per day.

Your body can only store so much creatine, the rest gets filtered out and ends up down the toilet as expensive urine.

As with everything, moderation is the key.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:02 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I heard that SupraBeast was g@y.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:16 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well thats no problem!

He can take the creatine up the a$$ and get off on it at the same time.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:16 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

5g per day when loading and 2g per day during maintenance will be fine.
rubbish. thats not anywhere near enough.

research has proven that a 20g/day loading period (5 days) and 5g/day maintenance (the balance of 8-12 weeks) typically provides 5-15% performance increase (depending on the person). research has also proven that 2g/day makes no difference whatsoever.

bearing in mind there is 2g/creatine in half a pound of meat, 2g is VERY little.

The problem is that most bodybuilders think that more is always better and take stupid amounts of the stuff. They do the same with protein too, there is an upper limit to everything and there's just no need to take 30g of creatine per day, or 400g of protein per day.
no, not all of us take stupid amounts of things. many bbers read scientific research and adopt it into their training methods.

incidently, there have been no known research that has given subjects 30g/day of creatine ongoing over a long period, so we cannot tell whether there's a need to take 30g/day or not.

furthermore, research has shown that 1-1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight is optimal for muscle growth. given that many bb'ers are > 300lbs in the off-season, 400g of protein is appropriate.

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2004, 10:20 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it would be helpful if when stating "reseach has shown" people could state what research, where and who paid for it.

I have no interest in taking Creatine but suspect those advocating it are those either taking it or selling it!

Links to scientific research would be more beneficial to the debate.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:24 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

chrisgr - its sold in shops such as holland and barratt so its not illegal if thats what you were thinking. its sold fine, just doesnt appear theres any knowledge of long term effects.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:27 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know much about the affects of using creatine while training up at the gym regularly?

What are the pro's and cons of the stuff?
yes

pros are: enhanced performance, increase in lean mass, increased strength. these are proven. fact.

the ONLY known con is water retention, increasing your bodyweight in an undesirable way - though this goes after u come off creatine. though some people experience minor sides - headaches in particular. NO research has been able to prove any other long-term side effects, but thats simply because creatine has only been around for about 10 years.

it's up to u whether u want to use it or not - the fact is, research on this is very much in it's youth.. and although nothing has been proven long-term, it's debatable whether it's safe or not.

i suggest if there are long-term sides, there will be a lot of law-suits

i have used creatine monohydrate with excellent results the first time (we are talking 20-50% increases in lifts in 8 weeks which stayed). subsequent times have lead to lesser results but still an improvement (usually around 10% in 8 weeks). some of that goes when u come off it however.

i believe tricreatine malate to be better than creatine monohydrate however, as it is more soluble and does not require a loading agent and atp production is reportedly higher.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:34 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it would be helpful if when stating "reseach has shown" people could state what research, where and who paid for it.

I have no interest in taking Creatine but suspect those advocating it are those either taking it or selling it!

Links to scientific research would be more beneficial to the debate.
yes i cycle it.. no i'm not selling it.

you are more than welcome to look for the research yourself (my saying "research has shown.." should prompt readers to look for it themselves and draw their own conclusions not rely on me to provide it), but here are some texts to look for anyway:

Becque, B., Lochmann, J., Melrose, D. (1997). Effect of creatine supplementation during strength training on 1 RM and body composition. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 29, S146. (Abstract)

Balsom, P., Ekblom, B., Sjodin, B., Hultman, E. (1993a). Creatine supplementation and dynamic high-intensity intermittent exercise. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 3, 143-149.

Kirksey, K., Warren, B., Stone, M., Stone, M., Johnson, R. (1997). The effects of six weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementation in male and female track athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 29, S145. (Abstract)

Kreider, R. (1995). Effects of creatine loading on muscular strength and body composition. Strength Conditioning, 17 (10), 72-73.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:37 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get some p5s and have done with it
Old 23 January 2004, 10:39 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Precise and informed as ever milo
Old 23 January 2004, 10:44 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I know its legal and being a fat lazy slob have no interest in taking it!

However the first guy who wanted the info said he had looked for information on it, and of course the additional information supplied by Milo will help him find that information.

Supplying some form of reference just shows that the person knows there stuff rather than makes it up, which is possible on this sort of board!
Old 23 January 2004, 10:48 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

and by the way... NONE of those papers were funded by any manufacturer of creatine.

in fact, i can provide at least 50 references to papers not funded by creatine manufacturers which show positive effects of creatine and NO significant side effects.
Old 23 January 2004, 02:01 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

pros - increase performance/strength/stamina (but absolutely useless if not part of a good training regime and nutrition intake)

cons - (some people - get some or all) - water retention/headaches/*****

Milo - has quantities right - 20g loading (5-7 days) then 5g per day

I have taken it on/off over 4 -5 years - not suffered any side effects.

I do wonder how well it mixes with my drinking of alcohol at the weekends tho' ?
Old 23 January 2004, 02:46 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

For the price just get some dianbol at least you'll see the benefits.

But serously, i wont pay £30-£40 for creatine, last one i did cost £5 and tbh its a waste time. Just eat propperly imho

Si
Old 23 January 2004, 02:52 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

£30-40.... how much are you getting!!!???
Old 23 January 2004, 02:52 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Not your £20 ****e from super drug.

maximuscle it was.
Old 23 January 2004, 02:54 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I took a bit of this stuff at one point and I think it did help but if I didnt drink enough water or got pissed then it hurt like hell in my kidneys.

Probably wont touch it again unless I get more disciplined with the H20
Old 23 January 2004, 02:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

£16 for Relex (500g)

click
Old 23 January 2004, 03:00 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

and i bet that doesnt give you the ****s
Old 23 January 2004, 03:03 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Took it when I first started training, with good results last time I used it didn't do much. Like si said Diannbol or nandranome will give better results.
Old 23 January 2004, 03:27 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

reflex is the best kind imo, and good price too (all their stuff is quality).

tho i still favour tricreatine malate over creatine monohydrate.

of course dbol is better - its anabolic - but that DOES have proven negative sides.. particularly as its liver toxic. if you're going down that route, seriously consider injecting rather than an oral like dbol - far safer.
Old 23 January 2004, 03:36 PM
doorman
Scooby Regular

stop mucking about and cut the middel man out and flush that **** stright down the bog.get your self some british dragon gear it's the nuts get some good food in and wake up bigger every day for 6 weeks!!!!!
Old 23 January 2004, 03:39 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Just bloody eat right it's not difficult!
Si
Old 23 January 2004, 03:40 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

get your self some british dragon gear it's the nuts
advising someone who may well be a beginner lifter to take this is crazy. he's given no details of height, weight, goals, bodyfat, previous cycle experience and so on.

anyone with < 5 years solid heavy natural lifting with perfect diet and rest should not even consider this route.

maximise your natural gains first, then consider alternatives to get past your natural limits.
Old 23 January 2004, 04:05 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Question

get your self some british dragon gear it's the nuts

What's that like???? never herd of it before
Old 23 January 2004, 05:09 PM
doorman
Scooby Regular

have a look on there web sight u must do your home work and read up on all the things that matter as i was informed!!.ask one of the bigger lads down the gym if they have heard of it