Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Photography Courses?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 09:52 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The recent photography competitions have really developed my interest in photography.

For a while i have wanted to do a photography course, however I feel restricted because I only have a digital snappy camera (casio qvr4). It is good quality but does not have the manual refinements of an slr.

I was wondering if I could get away with my camera on a photography course/evening class or will I find that I need an slr camera?
Old 20 January 2004, 09:55 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You'll need an SLR I would have thought. Why not buy one from ebay? They're so cheap these days. I'd go for a fully manual like this one
Old 20 January 2004, 11:13 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I've got an old Canon AE-1 Program SLR. Lenses are dead cheap and it's ideal to learn with because you have the option to go totally manual. It doesn't have autofocus, either, which may or may not be a good thing.

It's just sitting here gathering dust so if you want it make me an offer for the postage and it's yours on indefinite loan...

Alternatively, I've got a Minolta Dynax 500si kit which needs rehousing as well, but that'll cost you a little more.

Both are 35mm SLRs, by the way, and are redundant because I've gone totally digital.

Cheers,

SB
Old 21 January 2004, 06:04 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'm doing "an introduction to photography". So far we've mainly concentrated on developing black and white film and pictures, as yet we haven't gone too far into camera functions. We're all using SLR cameras.

There is another course for digi though, maybe it's worth checking with your college?
Old 21 January 2004, 06:41 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I looked into courses but had a lot of trouble finding one with an appropriate syllabus. Digital photography courses tended to concentrate on PC use and Photoshop, ie. digital image processing rather than photography. More traditional courses, as Bob has noted, include elements that are rapidly becoming obsolete - I simply have no need to learn darkroom skills, for example. I have a digital SLR, and soon I suspect that everyone interested enough to want to go on a course will be able to afford one.

What I really wanted was a course that would help me to learn about lighting and composition, and studio and field work skills. I know how to work the camera - it's the subject that I struggle with. Technically perfect images of crappy subjects are easy. Learning how to spot and take an interesting image is much harder.

Whatever you choose, you'll certainly need an SLR. You'll end up wanting one anyway, once you've seen the possibilities that it opens up - all of a sudden you'll be able to photograph things close up, take advantage of a huge range of focal lengths, control depth of field and much more. An automatic camera will be suffocating.

Before you take the time to leap into a course, I'd suggest you pick yourself up a Canon D30 from eBay for about £450-£500, grab a cheap s/h lens or two and have a play. You may surprise yourself.
Old 21 January 2004, 06:42 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

I shall be getting a booklet in a few weeks to have a look at what courses are available and when.

Cheers for the info guys. I quite like the idea of finding a digital course because it is so much cheaper then getting films developed especially at the rate I am taking photos at the moment.
Old 22 January 2004, 10:28 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wink

As Andy says, most didgital courses focus on the post capture manipulation.

It sounds like you want a general course that concerntrates on taking pictures. You can use a digital camera on any photo course - just ensure that they don't spend any time on develping or printing.

Try the back of one of the proper photo mags like Practical Photography.

Here's a couple Photocourses, Photoschool, Nature

[Edited by alistair - 1/22/2004 10:29:24 PM]
Old 23 January 2004, 12:37 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

ANDYC - I've got exactly that problem at the moment... Did you find a course that did what you wanted????

I know what all the ***** and buttons and stuff do, and how I can use all of the features of the camera, lens, etc. to get it to do things - But I want to know how to take, compose and spot a good picture.... in general.

What I don't want to do is spend ages messing around with chemicals in a dark room, and playing with rolls of film.

If anyone knows of any courses around the Glos/Wilts area that can help - please let me know!

Shades (Canon 10D, 16-35f2.8 L - great lens BTW - & 28-200f4/5.6, 550EX (great flash BTW) but STILL can't compose a decent shot... though slowly learning through trial and error)
Old 23 January 2004, 08:29 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Someone I work with goes to a camera club in Swindon where he learns loads.

I'd imagine the best thing is to practice, and perhaps try to copy shots you see in the photography mags
Old 23 January 2004, 12:07 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

I have a friend doing this course in Bath - it also runs in Swindon apparently
http://www.bath.ac.uk/swindon/partti...es/arts.html#7

Salient points he mentioned:
- Every Thursday
- £70 for 10 weeks.
- Each week you have to take portraits in your own time and then "show" them in class, learning from others on the course and the tutor (who is very good and has lots of experience and a fine art background) as well as work of "famous" portrait photographers.
- This isn't a technical photography course at all it is very much "art"

Sound like it fits the bill to me

Regrads, Martin
Old 23 January 2004, 07:33 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

MrShades: no, I didn't find a course. I decided just to spend the time taking pictures instead, which seems to have worked reasonably well so far. I can see the improvement each time I get the opportunity to go out and actually take photos, and no course is going to make opportunities.