Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paypal - any comeback?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 11:40 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If you buy something thru paypal - ie pay the money but don't get the goods or there is something wrong with the goods- what can you do about this?
Can Paypal reclaim the money using the details they have on the other guy?
This is only hypothetical btw. Just about to buy something thats quite a lot of money. Just looking for some reassurance

Thx in advance
Old 20 January 2004, 01:28 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Anybody?
Old 20 January 2004, 01:38 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

sorry no help with paypal, but if your worried pay for it with a credit card, most have a facility for no reciecpt of goods to claim the money back.

hth

steve
Old 20 January 2004, 02:41 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

your credit card company will not help with paypal as its an american based company (allthough paypal uk ltd is starting soon).

Paypal do promise to help sort in discrepencies and have a charge back policy. When you create a paypal account you have to supply credit card details but of course if somebody was dodgy they would use a dodgy card, And I doubt paypal would take responsiblity.

you can always ask the seller for a phone number talk to them on the phone. IF they refuse that would set alarm bells ringing.

or if its serious amounts of money you could pay for an escrow service you will have to pay the fee's. and again any dodgy auctions would flatly refuse this also. its a good way of checking out any dodgy sellers
Old 20 January 2004, 02:44 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Geddon,

Yep you do not have any additional protection, they may help you but are certainly not obliged to recover any money potentially lost. I follow strict rules for trading on ebay, I will *always* do the deal in person its for anything over £200, so when I bid I make sure the seller is not too far away and I never buy anything from the US no matter how tempting because you have no comeback.

A friend of mine bought a laptop from a guy up north for £1400, sent money, no laptop, he found out the guys details, gave them to the police but he aint got a pot to p*ss in so whats he gonna get back? A pound a week?

cheers

Gary
Old 20 January 2004, 03:25 PM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

It works both ways.
Last year I sold a laptop to a guy with a foreign sounding name. He paid by paypal. Now this was the first time I had ever used Paypal, I was under the impression that if the money was in my paypal account then it was as good as in the bank. So, I emailed the guy to tell him I have the money. He asked me to send him the tracking number of the package. The next day he did a charge back and I lost both £600, and the laptop. Paypal were absolutely no help whatsoever. The police couldn't help because nobody had lived at that address for over a year.
Anyway where paypal is concerned, I'll quite happily use it to pay for goods but I'll never again accept it as payment for goods sold.
Old 20 January 2004, 03:35 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

So basically after paying the money via paypal, you just hope the goods turn up?
Old 20 January 2004, 04:19 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Paypal, like their parent company, eBay don't give a toss. All they care about is getting their money.

Getting through to them (ebay) and getting a respose that's actually written by one of their staff and not an aotomated email is an effort.

I bought something from eBay and paid by paypal only to find the stuff was fake.

I complained to both paypal and eBay but neither was interested - they just say 'try to resolve it yourself'.

I got my money back through other means

[Edited by fatherpierre - 1/20/2004 4:21:29 PM]
Old 20 January 2004, 04:41 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you have to treat ebay like the owners of a field in which a car boot sale takes place....if you get stitched the farmer dont care- and really, why should he?

T
Old 20 January 2004, 04:42 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

My Son buys and sells loads from ebay using pay pal, he wouldnt do a deal with out the guy has an excellent rating ....
Hes been lucky so far