Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Knee support

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2004, 11:51 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Do any of you kind folks know where I could get some info on a decent knee support/brace?

I snapped a lateral ligament a few years ago playing rugby, which was nicely repaired (thanks to company medical insurance, and a very good surgeon used by the British Olympic Association, but I was told not to do any more contact sports. However I have a yearning to go skiing again, but obviously dont want to completely bugger up my knee (I can still run quite well). I'm after some sort of solid support that prevents any lateral movement of my knee...any ideas?

Cheers

SB
Old 19 January 2004, 11:55 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Use the one similar to the type Stone Cold Steve Austin uses. I think he popped his kneecaps too. If it works for him doing all these crazy stunts then I guess it'll work for anyone. Am trying to get my friend to start wearing these braces as he popped his last week.
Old 19 January 2004, 12:23 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cheers Katana, I assume he is some form of wrestler (impressive athletes, but I like my "sports" to have an uncertain outcome ;-) )

Is there any form of makers logo on whatever he wears?

I did look at knee supports for playing rugby, but nothing with the available support (ie a hard metal/plastic strip down the side of the knee to prevent lateral movement) was IRB approved
Old 19 January 2004, 12:30 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I'm not so sure mate. I think any brace should be okay as long as it is "tight" on you. I've got weak knees myself and although my sport does not have the same impact force as yours (running around and tackling people for an extended period), I just use any generic brand to avoid popping it out.
Old 19 January 2004, 04:05 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 19 January 2004, 04:25 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Do you want pressure or just support on the knee??
Im looking into these

Here for event training

Si
Old 19 January 2004, 04:30 PM
Dave!
Scooby Regular

Smile

I started looking into this after damaging my left knee skiing last year, and aggravating it again while motocrossing.

As a start there are a couple of brand names that you could search for..

Asterisk Cell (USA and expensive) and Cti (i think!).

As with anything....the best don't come cheap!

I reckon both SnowandRock (store) and Ellis Brigham (skiwear) sell em as well now.

Dave.
Old 19 January 2004, 04:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only ever used soft neoprene knee supports myself and then augmented this with more strength training on my quads and hamstrings to support my knees.

I do a lot of cross-country running with weights, but I've never suffered severe injuries like you. I'd guess you may need a hard Knee brace (like the ones Katanna mentioned) rather than just a support.

There's loads of them available and a sports physio would recommend various types or even your original orthopeadic surgeon. Wouldn't this be covered under your medical insurance as part of your recovery?

The majority would be off-the-shelf, but you may need one tailored to you to get the right fit and support.

The only manufacturers that spring to mind are DonJoy and EVS Sports

Last one is more Motorcross/BMX type sports.

Stefan
Old 19 January 2004, 05:06 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

http://www.jackalsgym.com/store/body.htm

Try there!

They are suppose to be the best

Si
Old 19 January 2004, 05:36 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys

I am really looking for a full hinged support, rather than just compression...If I fall, then I would rather some other bit of me snapped than the knee again (after the opp, there isnt any native ligament left around the knee to re-stabilise it...that was all used up the first time round, hence the caution!!)
Unfortunately the medical claim was 7 years, and 3 companies ago...so I reckon that is a bit of a non-starter.

I hadnt thought about snow & rock...I guess I'm not the only person with this problem...they have one advertised on the web site...not too bad for peace of mind.

The Orthopaedic site is a good one...think that would all have to be done via the quack, though...interesting they dont post any prices...always a bit worrying !

Again thanks for the input...I'll be checking it all out at the weekend

Cheers

SB
Old 19 January 2004, 11:05 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
have u tried ski equipment suppliers??
a couple of links for u....
www.ellis-brigham.com/index2.htm
www.snowandrock.com/brands/product.asp?product_sku=ETEAC

alan
Old 19 January 2004, 11:51 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow and rock is your best bet - I destroyed my left knee through rugby at 19, bone, cartilage and ligament and had major reconstructive surgery then and was also told not to do any contact or other sports again - like tennis or squash etc. However, started skiing at 26 and have had 10 arthroscopies (keyhole) and a further full open knee job since but have still skied/boarded, played 5 a side soccer, and a bit of drinking rugby since. I wore the Gul neoprene support with a hinged piece of plastic down the sides (from Snow and Rock) with 4 straps , 2 below and 2 above the knee and it seemed fine. You can get £5-600 carbon fibre jobs specifically made for your leg but i've been alright. Just make sure that your bindings aren't too tight - better to come out of the skis than pop something again. I've skied with mine set on level 7-8 for years , on and off piste, I'm 6'1"ish / 16.5 stone, and I was OK
Old 20 January 2004, 12:07 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys

Holiday in the process of being booked!!

All I will have to do is try and curb this damn competitive streak, and all will be well!!