Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

McDiscrimination

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2004, 11:36 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I have an operative who has a broad Scottish accent. Broad enough not to be able to understand everything said at all times. It seems his colleagues have had cause to ask him to repeat things several times and have ribbed him about his accent. Incidentaly, the bloke is 6'2" and around seventeen stones.

His partner has been on the phone today to the HR dept. complaining on his behalf and claiming racial discrimination. I am not sure whether to laugh or cry....but thought I would share it with the community, prticularly with the hardy Scottish contingent
Old 19 January 2004, 11:51 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

You're gonna get john banks, moses, AndyF, Saxo Boy, Jye and Imlach after you soon.
Old 19 January 2004, 12:00 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

what's his weight got to do with it?
Old 19 January 2004, 12:01 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Smile

lol @ Katana Scottish isnt a race just as English isnt, so dunno how anyone can claim racial discrimination. AFAIK this sort of thing has happened a good few times to English, Scots, Irish and Welsh, at both work and 'play' and there was no race card to answer.

Being a bigot though is probably covered under other employment terms and conditions/greviance procedures etc.

Old 19 January 2004, 12:05 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Move this thread to CWE and I bet the response from you will be different Jye.
Old 19 January 2004, 12:08 PM
Pyrocam999
Scooby Regular

Tell him to have a look here Comission For Racial Equality
Old 19 January 2004, 12:09 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

No chance Kat, OK perhaps the ribbing is more than that but it sounds like he's just a big girls blouse, after all I've never had to get my missus to argue my corner for me m8.

FWIW I hate bigots and if it is really bad then I feel for the guy, just as I would for someone from England stuck up here in jockland getting the same treatment.
Old 19 January 2004, 12:14 PM
Pyrocam999
Scooby Regular

Or Here Equal Opportunities Commision
Old 19 January 2004, 12:18 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

He's getting off lightly. When I had a contract in up in Port Glasgow most of the older guys (aged 50+) wouldn't speak to me as 'english shud nae be thee-re'.
Old 19 January 2004, 12:30 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

V45DSM, thats not the point though, but I guess you took it on the chin or gave as good as you got. Scotland is full of bigots just like everywhere else, you just have to stick up for yourself, take it for a bit and then try to get on. You shouldnt have to but there you go, this is the real world. I've loads of English m8's and a few Welsh and Irish and we very rarely bring our nationality into arguements, apart from football which I hate so that gets me off the hook usually

Anyhow I suppose it depends whether he is caucasian or of mixed race or whatever. The original posted didnt say but I'm assuming he is a Scottish born caucasian guy.

I Doubt any of those links will help Pyro, equal opps is mainly for sex and disability etc, and the CRE wont help for reasons stated before, i.e. being a caucasian Scottish/Weslsh/Irish/English person isnt classed as being of any seperate or distinct race other than caucasian.

If its that bad he could just take out a greviance and let HR sort it all out, either that or send his wife to work
Old 19 January 2004, 12:37 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with what Jye says but an alternative slant on this would be to get the guy to go and get elocution (sp) lessons and learn to speak clearly enough to let the rest of his fellow contrymen actually understand him

I don't mean that he needs to speak RP all the time but he can certainly have the rough edges taken off his accent. He must of come across this time and time again and although I have quite a thick accent I have never had any problems being understood by another english speaker

Alternatively he could just tell all his colleagues to **** off as they won't understand him anyway
Old 19 January 2004, 01:00 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Same hear Si, no one from SN on XBox live has said wtf you saying m8, that's because I can easily moderate my accent and speed for clarity when speaking to others.

oach aye the noo my ****
Old 19 January 2004, 01:24 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Sorry JYE,

I can never understand a word your saying on Xbox live
Old 19 January 2004, 02:39 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Talking