Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flat or Car or can I do both?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 07:06 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

In a bit of a dilemma at the moment and looking for views.

I currently live with my parents but am ready to move out. I have a stable £10k a year job in the civil service, with tax credits it ups to about £12k a year.

Chatting to my parentsa they reckon that I will not be able to run a car and move out at the same time, so say I should choose between my car and a flat.

The car is a 1.1 AX, insurance paid until November, have to do the MOT and tax in the next month. I bought it because it's a great little car and a bargin at £100. I am having lessons which are £18 a week and my aim is to pass by the summer, so there will be added expenses of theory and practical tests and pass plus after. Then when I (hopefully) pass there will be running costs, petrol etc.

My job, even if I get the promotion that I am after, doesn't need a car (and if it ever does they will pay for lessons and then I can use a pool car) and the majority of bus services in my town are regular and reliable.

One bedroom flats in my area average £300-£400pcm before council tax and bills. At home I have one small room to myself but am rapidly filling that with belongings and I think it's time to leave the nest!

I'm a boring sod, don't drink (for medical reasons) and don't smoke, so those are two expenses I don't have to worry about. Going out at the weekend here is pretty cheap because of it!

So, did you manage to run a car and move out on a fairly low salary? If so, do you have any tips?

Cheers!
Old 09 January 2004, 07:22 PM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

I very much doubt it, I remember when I was on 10k and I had a new Saxo, lived at home with parents and struggled, day in day out.

It equates to about £700 a month doesn't it matey if that?

You'd be better staying at home mate, thats what I have done, i'm now 22, on 20k, got my Scooby STi TypeR Coupe, which I definatley wouldnt have if I was living on my own!

Thats my opinion, Hope that helps

Andy

Old 09 January 2004, 07:26 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a prayer m8, the only way is to either flat share or get a rich girfriend
Good Luck
Old 09 January 2004, 07:37 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

well rich bloke would probably be needed as I'm female. No-one available for flatsharing at the moment, all paired off. Bugger. A 23 year old needs more than a 10 by 10 room to themselves!
Old 09 January 2004, 07:44 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
I wouldn't bother renting at that price really, I would stay put and try to save more first so that I could buy. Being boring, at least a flat will appreciate in value whereas a car is nothing but a drain on finance. If you get on with your parents, at least you're in a decent position and nothing is worse than having to crawl back / lose independence / do what you want when you want if you overstretch yourself. Good luck
Old 09 January 2004, 08:07 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've just taken a 60K mortgage and I'm paying back summat like 400 quid a month by the time you've added life cover and house insurance n gubbins....renting is a waste of time and money, IMO

Having said that, I have a spare room I can rent you!!!

Also, if you can do without, don't bother with the car till you can afford it, moving out is soooooo much better
Old 09 January 2004, 08:10 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
You have just had the quickest cheapest sex change ever courtesy of moi
A rich B/F definatly the way to go

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2004, 08:32 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

As you have the car I would concentrate on passing your test then ditch the car and move out. You will be hard pushed to move out on £10k unless you share a house though. Its not just rent - council tax, gas, eleccy, phone bill, tv licence, contents ins etc etc.

Simon.
Old 09 January 2004, 08:36 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think your parent's are right.

I've just bought a flat at age 24, NO WAY would I rent - that's just a complete and utter waste of money.

Stay at home until you can afford to buy. I know it's a pain but you know it makes sense, as long as you get on ok with your parents that is .

I was a bit worried I was gonna have to sell the scoob and downgrade, but it looks like I'll be able to keep it. At the end of the day it costs loads to run a car even if it's an old banger, so I thought I'd put up with paying a bit more to keep a nice car.

Luckily I (somehow) earn enough to support myself and still go out etc but if I was earning, say under 20k, I would not be able to keep the car or go out much. Couldn't you be made a named driver on your parent's car? If you don't really need a car then this would be a cheaper option and at least you would still have the use of a car occasionally.

I say stay at home, wait till you get a payrise, then buy somewhere. You never now - you might meet your rich boyfriend in the meantime!

Jamie
Old 09 January 2004, 08:43 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
only way is to either flat share or get a rich girfriend
well rich bloke would probably be needed as I'm female
The girlfriend thing is soooo much better in my mind

Seriously though, I'd stay at home as long as possible. I didn't have much say in whether I left home or not.
Old 09 January 2004, 08:59 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Question

Another slant on this would be ....... Get your parents interested in investing in a flat with you as a shareholder i.e. 50/50 share , have an agreement that says in 2-3 years time you agree to sell said property, in which time you can redecorate and make the place look very nice (hopefully if property market still increases a bit!!) , you will have made a move from 'The Nest' and in 2-3 years time be in a position to put a deposit on your 'own' place.

This info is how a few of my cousins and an older brother of mine have got their foot on the property ladder.

Nate.
Old 09 January 2004, 11:09 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies!

Bob, if I ever feel like being a Nprthern Monkey then I will take you up on that room. It's a step up from my old basket under the bed anyway!

A 60k mortgage wouldnt even buy me a 1 bed flat here and on 10k a year the biggest mortgage I could get is 40k. If I get the promotion my wages will go up to 17k which would be more promising, but you can guarantee I won't get that now I want the money!

Rich girlfriend/boyfriend, whichever. I haven't had a snog in 3 months so am not feeling that fussy. :P