Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Dog

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 11:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to have a crap dog ?

We have a Cocker Spaniel (Molly 10, maybe 11) and to be honest she's never really endeared herself to me, shes never really been playful, you try and play and she just skulks off, she did a bit when she was younger but not much. She digs the garden up being allgedley bored even though I used to walk her every night and make a fuss of her, now she wont walk as she get halfway round and decides that shes had enough even though she is perfectly able to still walk a mile.

She raids the bin even after being well fed, shes very agressive towards other dogs if on a lead and despite training still does it so its difficult to take her anywhere on a lead. She is stupendously dim and has never shown much sign of mental activity,

She went blind aged nine and has always ponged a bit despite much attention but nowadays she really hums and when she walks in the room you get a waft that makes you gag, I try cleaning her round the mouth (where the stink comes from it seems) and its better for a day, the vet says Spaniels get like that.

Is it me ?, am I heartless b4stard, should I love the dog despite it being a bit hopeless. I suppose at one point she was ok(ish) and even now she is freindly enough to pester guests and likes company, the guests arent so sure if she licks them.

I like dogs but to be honest this one has put me off having another, I remember as a kid really bonding with dogs, almost like another mate, this happened with a neighbours dog, wonderful smart mongrel which used to 'call' for me and my mate Rob in the school holidays, apparently it got run over, upon mentioning this to my dad twenty years later he told me he had invented that story because the neighbours moved abroad and had the dog put down (she was about 7 or 8), even aged 32 I had to leave the room because I was filling up and didnt fancy blubbing in front of my dad about a long departed mongrel, he even said that if they would have said something he would have taken the dog on even though he was always dead set against having a dog, for him to say that it was some dog ! so why dont I feel like that about ours ?, to be honest I could never get her put down unless she was ill but I am counting the days.
Old 07 January 2004, 11:18 PM
snowybear
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i used to have a german shepherd,thick as s***.despite training classes,could'nt get it to behave'fetch a stick or anything,took it over the fields for walks ,would'nt come back when let of the lead ect.i really feel that some of these pedigree dogs are so inbred they dont know there ar** from their elbow [or tail maybe].never again
Old 07 January 2004, 11:18 PM
goldersII
Scooby Newbie

She hasn't got an ear infection has she?

This often smells
Old 08 January 2004, 07:12 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

No, she has been to the vets several times about it and the vet said its the fold in her mouth so I give them a good clean and its ok for a day or two but comes back and to be honest I havent got time to carry out what is at best and undignified procedure every day, especially given the current weather and the fact she is fairly old.
Old 08 January 2004, 07:56 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Spaniels are notoriously bad as a breed for having psychological problems.

I know a few that are just as you describe.

To be honest though, 10 minutes a day cleaning her mouth cannot be that hard, can it?

Try to stimulate her mentally, rather than just making a fuss and taking her for a walk. 5 minutes a day teaching her new tricks would do.

And don't let it put you off another dog - but maybe give spaniels a miss.

D

[Edited by Diablo - 1/8/2004 7:57:25 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 09:07 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

in my experience, dogs are really variable. my dad has always had dogs, (mongrels) and some have been really great, such good fun to have around that i thought about getting one myself at one time. however, one which was a nice dog as a pup turned totally moronic once it was a few years old. it just lay around all day. if you wanted to take it for a walk you had to practically drag it along, it seemed to be depressed and had no interest in anything, other than humping the kids' stuffed toys. it died prematurely of cancer, so i wonder maybe he was ill and it wasn't diagnosed for a long time?
Old 08 January 2004, 09:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

We had an Alsation who was mental: soft as sh*t with people, but VERY aggressive with other dogs, dug up the garden all the time, and was "expelled" from dog-training classes because he used to "sing", (the only way to describe it), all the time we were there, and the training woman couldn't make herself heard.
He also used to drop his load nearly EVERY time we were walking to heel at the class:,(everyone laughed the first time, but they weren't laughing when the smell hit them, and after that they didn't laugh at all!!! but NEVER when he was out with me, and sang every time we had him in the car!
A fekkin nightmare, but I still loved him:

Alcazar
His name was Kruger, but not after Freddy!

[Edited by alcazar - 1/8/2004 9:47:28 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 09:48 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Strange that, Ive always had a love for Bulldogs, our first over 2 years ago. was playful BUT too agressive, no matter how we tried the nly way he would play is by biting etc, in the end I tried to refuse to play with him when he did get agressive after that he went downhill, he'd sit on his own and ignore us. became agressive to other dogs and even neighbours, I loved him but he died in Apr this year, tumor or something

we bought our second bully about a month after, he is soooo loving. wants cuddles etc, he loves to play with anything. hes treated so much hes starting to expect it i.e. stop rubbing his ar$e and he growls...lmao wouldnt bite nastily but bites playfully, doesnt listen to commands though (all bullys are like that unless they are being offered a treat...lol) hes a completely different dog, same parents though similar upbringing. loves other dogs so we are going to get 1 in a few months to keep it company
Old 08 January 2004, 10:02 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Had a Basett Hound many years ago. When it was time for walkies it would hide under the sideboard and have to be dragged out. On one very icey morning I took it out and literally dragged it on top of the ice with its *** firmly plonked down refusing to move. Wouldn't eat chocolate drops. If you stroked it you got no reaction. You fed it - no reaction. Fed it late, didn't give a toss. 1/2 the time it crapped where it lay. Would on occasion **** itself on the rug infront of the fire. Marvellous.
Gave the dog away and I really don't think it even noticed.
Old 08 January 2004, 07:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Andrew, that sounds like mate of mine !
Old 08 January 2004, 07:24 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Wink

you could have just eaten it. waste not - want not and all that.
Old 08 January 2004, 08:00 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

We've got a Jack Russell who's breath can kill at ten yards, he is very playful though and very good with kids, so I shouldn't complain.
Dogs are a pain in the **** sometimes though, would think long and hard before getting another when this one pops it (he's only 6 years old and they live forever!)
Old 08 January 2004, 08:07 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

I know this a serious thread but ..

"Would on occasion **** itself on the rug infront of the fire. Marvellous.
Gave the dog away and I really don't think it even noticed. "

I am laughing my head off ! !
Old 08 January 2004, 08:10 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

"Would on occasion **** itself on the rug infront of the fire. Marvellous."

Don't we all??
Old 08 January 2004, 08:13 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a shot gun if you want to borrow it.

steve
Old 08 January 2004, 08:17 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Ive had two English Cocker Spaniels one we had to put to sleep a couple of years ago aged 7 due to cancer.
Our next dog Bart is now 1 year old and in the case of both dogs i found them very intelligent,willing to learn and brilliant with the kids.I wouldn't consider any other breed.
Here he is aged about 8 months

[Edited by i8gtmf - 1/8/2004 8:19:39 PM]

[Edited by i8gtmf - 1/8/2004 8:20:35 PM]
Old 08 January 2004, 09:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

PMSL at andrew's basset...

Warning, don't speed-read the above post either. I just read "willing to learn and breed with the kids."

Did a double-take and read it a lot more carefully the second time...
Old 08 January 2004, 10:39 PM
Lord Of The Bling...
Scooby Regular

Smile

now this is a cool thread!!!

some classics here...!!!!
Old 08 January 2004, 10:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My earlier dog related thread

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=222799

Its sat here wasting oxygen and space as we speak (then again so am I)
Old 08 January 2004, 10:45 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Had a few Cocker Spaniels, this one is Henri and is as thick as $hit. Always has something in it's mouth, bit like the ex who took him with her when we split

Old 08 January 2004, 10:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Ours did that for years and still sometimes carried a sock round.

I do think Cockers are a dim dog and not what I want from a dog (well ours isnt) but they do look so adorable.

Want a Staff but the missus wont entertain it, she thinks I will look like a ******, I explained that we are posh enough to get away with it and they are lovely dogs but it didnt seem to make any difference, we both want a chihuahua, my mum had one and what a little personality and pure evil, was a definite ladies man and wouldnt let any bloke near him, it was like he was saying in a mexican accent,

'Eh Hombre, you touch my *** I bite you f*ckin hand you goddam
homo'

Shredded the paper (and looked proud about it) until his final days

Our Current one just sits in the ***CORNER***, sorry just had to.

[Edited by J4CKO - 1/8/2004 11:18:42 PM]