Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any reasons to get married?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2004, 11:43 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Just reading through a couple of threads about marriage and looked at all the bitter replies in them!!

So if marriage is so bad, why do people do it in the first place?

Just curious
Old 06 January 2004, 11:48 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

It looks alright with the rose coloured specs on...

but take the glasses off after a while and AAAAAAAarrrrrggggggggh!!

just kidding

i wouldn't marry Chaos though

BB
Old 06 January 2004, 11:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

cause women think its the key to happiness so us men go along with it to shut women up for a year or so until they find something else they want then when it goes pear shaped the only reason the woman wanted to get married int he first place was to secure her own future with the guys assetts
Old 06 January 2004, 11:55 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

bb - i'll lend you my tinted specs for a bit, if your have stopped working

W69 - i would say the main reason to get married is if kids are involved. I have been with my girl for 7 years, we are only getting married now there is a little un on the way. it just makes everything a lot less complicated (and gives me proper rights, too )

bb - funny story: went to the theatre with the missus last night, she stops by the window of a shop in Drury Lane (happy look on her face)
"Oh, so this is where you got that nice stuff for me!"
me: "What? What stuff? oh yeah, err, Moulton Brown... nice shop, innit?"

Old 06 January 2004, 11:56 AM
STi VII
Scooby Regular

If you want to**** your life up get married...
Old 06 January 2004, 12:13 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

ok well divorce is inevitable then
Old 06 January 2004, 12:35 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tax benefit

On a more serious note... I am a complete commitmentphobe and nearing 35 I think I have had my fair share of:

< disaterous relationships,

< waste of time long term relationships that I should of ended long ago

< short term sexual romps based on physical attraction/chemistry that soon fizzle out,

< relationships with complete cuckoos that screw your head up

< relationships with apparently totally balanced people but they soon bore you to death

< relationships based on looks but nothing much going on up top

< plenty time spent being single to see if that's the best way to go

< time spent living with girlfriends to see if it'll work out in the long run

and then just when I've decided they are all complete bammers and single life is the way forward for a selfish get like me ..... and I've resigned myself to meals for one and pushing my own wheelchair around when I'm pegging on someone comes along who you want to be with all the time and nothing is too much trouble and no compromise is too big (even selling the scoob )

IMHO you instinctively know when you've met the right one and only then should marriage ever be considered and there should be no reasonable doubt. Every doubt you have should be beaten into submission by the fact that you want to commit & spend your life with the person in question

Anyway that's my thoughts for the reasons to get marrried and I guess it's each to their own.
Old 06 January 2004, 12:42 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

So your saying theres no reason then?

At least someone is happy i suppose
Old 06 January 2004, 12:45 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Tax benefit
on income tax? i thought that this stopped years ago. or are u referring to exchange of assets tax free?
Old 06 January 2004, 12:46 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Two personal observations:-

1) There doesn't appear to be anyone prepared to put in a good word about getting married - the nightmare stories are numerous however.

2) This forum should be re-named the Trisha Forum with the amount of personal details and dirty laundry flying around of late!
Old 06 January 2004, 12:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Never been married and never will be the whole institition is a waste of time.

My long term partner feels exactly the same, the only reason I'd ever get married is if I was going to the middle east with work.

Society wants you to get hitched so you can be held jointly liable for all sorts of stuff and they can mark you off as another breeding/revenue stream.
Old 06 January 2004, 12:56 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

SiPie - no compromise is too big (even selling the scoob)

Surely not - either that or shes very good in the sack!!

I dont think I really need to get married but I would if the gf asked me / she wanted to.

Not that fussed about doing it as its expensive - I'll just go on the nice holiday instead and save the rest.

Old 06 January 2004, 01:00 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scooby 96

If anyone had said I would be selling the scoob to put more money into a better house and lifestyle for me and a wife I would of thought they were off their head...

I guess there comes a time (if you meet the right person) when your priorities change.

PS She didn't want or suggest that I sell it before any doormat or under the thumb comments appear
Old 06 January 2004, 01:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

< relationships with complete cuckoos that screw your head up
Yeah but with that gap in her teeth she could have sucked a golf ball through a garden hose
Old 06 January 2004, 01:02 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yeah but with that gap in her teeth she could have sucked a golf ball through a garden hose
Lol @ Kenny

I actually forgot about that one mate (thank god) and was referring to another cuckoo... (think you know the one!!)

but the one with the gap in the teeth....**** she was ugly
Old 06 January 2004, 01:02 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I just like the idea of getting married I accept its probably a total waste of time though!!

LOL funny to read you lot grumbling like a load of old women
Old 06 January 2004, 01:04 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

SiPie, seems I have been through all of your various types apart from the last one- what a surprize..

Great list though!
Old 06 January 2004, 01:05 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I just like the idea of getting married
maybe that's because women have everything to gain and nothing to lose
Old 06 January 2004, 01:06 PM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

I didn't really have a reason to get married it was just a progression in a long term relationship that was although not all hearts and flowers was comfortable and not too demanding.

Got married and regretted it the very next morning, tried to make it work for 18 months and eventually got divorced.

People say "never say never" but I can quite honestly say I would never get married again and I certainly would not sell my scoob for anyone.
Old 06 January 2004, 01:07 PM
STi VII
Scooby Regular

'Society wants you to get hitched so you can be held jointly liable for all sorts of stuff and they can mark you off as another breeding/revenue stream.'

NACRO now that society has DNA testing, marraige is not needed hence the portrail of it being worthless and not to be respected or the spoken commitment adhered too as society can get *bad* men to pay without them needing to have a suicide service first
Old 06 January 2004, 01:12 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Miserable old buggers
Married at 24, been married 9.5 years now, bringing a third child into the safe and stable home in just a few months
Advantages?
Probably stops you making rash and impulsive decisions, regarding the relationship, over what are really trivial things.
Sex on tap.
Cheaper car insurance, and 2 cars with NCB's LOL
Rgds
Cman
Old 06 January 2004, 01:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We got married as I had a complicated long-term long-distance relationship with a non-European, and both for visa and multiple benefit reasons, it would simply have given us far too many bureaucratic headaches to stay single. Curiously, before we did it I was always wondering if she was the right one - afterwards, I'm sure she is. So it's been an odd calming influence on me that I didn't expect.

We started off being quite embarrassed telling everyone the true reason when the subject came up. Yet...

My French colleague said they got married as they needed to in order to be allowed to adopt a child.

My Portuguese colleague said they got married to be allowed to sell a council flat before the requisite time limit was up.

And I'm sure I heard another similar story, can't remember the reason for that.

We still refer to the wedding certificate as "that piece of paper" that society pushed us to get. Well, if you allowed more people to be unmarried and have certain benefits, you wouldn't have such a high divorce rate later, would you you stupid bureaucrats?
Old 06 January 2004, 01:16 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

and I certainly would not sell my scoob for anyone.
Charlie

I am selling it for my own benefit as I have not killed myself in over 2 years and the luck cannot last oh.....and the scoob has cost me £26,800 over 28 months to run (not including depreciation) and I can't afford a nice house and a scoob ... one or the other and I know where my priorites lie

I've had my fun with the scoob and will go back to something silly one day

Old 06 January 2004, 01:16 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Yup:

disaterous relationships x 5

waste of time long term relationships that I should of ended long ago x 3

short term sexual romps based on physical attraction/chemistry that soon fizzle out x 50

relationships with complete cuckoos that screw your head up x 1 (although this one didnt start screwing with my head until after we got married!)

relationships with apparently totally balanced people but they soon bore you to death a 'few'

relationships based on looks but nothing much going on up top just the one and she had dyson like suction

plenty time spent being single to see if that's the best way to go tried it a few times but more than 3 days is long enough without a sh@g!!

time spent living with girlfriends to see if it'll work out in the long run and it never does until you find a lady who also fancies ladies

[Edited by Scooby96 - 1/6/2004 1:18:19 PM]
Old 06 January 2004, 01:18 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Brendan - was she sourced from http://www.russianbrides.ussr
Old 06 January 2004, 01:35 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Only 2 things really bug me about marriage:

1. Sex with the same person
2. 50% of your hard-earned assets are owned by someone else

Old 06 January 2004, 01:37 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Bit of paper, means nothing in terms of commitment and hardly anything in law either. AFAIK 15 years as partners, good times and bad, longer than most marriages these days. Bit of paper and a few photos of us on the 'big day' wouldnt change any of that, would probably make us feel more constrained.

And by the way, on threads like these, I'd only listen to people who you think are actually telling some sort of truth, I wouldnt listen to those to claim to have multiple username/personalities etc, or those who claim to find this all some sort of a game.

Its not a game, its real people on this BB, with real feelings, no matter what some strange people might think. Some are just afraid to show the 'real' person behind the keyboard, as they probably dont even know who they are themselves and if they do they must hate what they see.
Old 06 January 2004, 01:46 PM
STi VII
Scooby Regular

Jye, never a truer word spoken...
Old 06 January 2004, 02:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would I get married? I don't know, and that is the truth.
Part of me likes the idea of it, why? dunno, tradition I guess, but then the other part of me thinks that it's just one day, and if you go for the whole white wedding thing (and I'm not sure I'd really want to) it can be very expensive, just for one single day and a bit of paper and some photos. If two people love each other and want to be with each other I don't see why they have a need to get married, well, ok I do, from the possible benfits with taxation and kids, but apart from that, I don't see the point.

10 or 15 or more years ago, yes, it would be frowned upon if long term partners did not get married, but today, well, seems more and more people don't do it.

Some could argue that it does not show real commitment to your partner, if you don't get married, but as said, why should a bit of paper be needed to prove how much you love someone?

Of course, saying all this, if Miss right pops up, then I might suddenly change and get married, but it will only be if I want to, I will not do it just because my partner wishes to, or to shut her up.

Quick Reply: Any reasons to get married?