Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FM radio aerials

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2004, 10:01 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I live in a poor FM reception area for radio. I dont currently have an FM aerial, any radio I get is through Sky Digital.

I have a FM RDS tuner on my Denon surround amp downstairs and also a seperate RDS tuner upstairs that I have hardly ever used.

Whats the best options for me to get a decent FM aerial so I can pick up a good radio signal ?? I tried one of those plug-in Altai FM aerial/boosters and downstairs its no good, upstairs Radio1 is the strongest signal and even thats noisy (43db the tuner tells me is the signal strength).

I was thinking of a loft-mounted FM aerial and a signal amp at the aerial end and the tuner end aswell. Thoughts ??

Dave
Old 06 January 2004, 10:28 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

a proper FM aerial in the loft should help. it's gotta be better than a peice of mains cable, which is what i am using at the mo. i think you can buy an aerial in tandy (do they still exist?) or wherever for not that much. I've been meaning to fit one myslef but too lazy right now.

Old 06 January 2004, 12:44 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

You need a loft/roof aeriel, preferably on the roof as a) you will bet better reception and b) FM aeriels are very big (the dipole is approximately 1.5 metres wide!).

I would recommend a minimum of 4 element, 6 if you live in a really poor area. If you are goint to put it on the roof, buy a good quality one (e.g. Antiference), as the cheap ones fall to bits quickly, and are difficult to replace if they are at the top of a 10 foot pole! Bear in mind that more elements = more directional, so transmitters that are not on the bore-sight of the antenna will still be weak.

WRT amplifiers, very few people make masthead FM amplifiers (i.e. amplifier at one end of cable, power supply at the other) for FM. The reason for this is that their main function, when used for TV antennas, is to overcome cable losses. Since the FM frequency is approximately 1/5 of UHF TV signals, cable losses are reduced by a similar margin. Thus most FM amplifiers require a local mains power supply.

If you need to amplify and/or split the signal, I would fit a combined amplifier and splitter further as close to the antenna as you can, bearing in mind that it will need a mains power supply.

Most importantly, use a good quality coax, not the cheapo stuff sold by most DIY outlets and electrical retailers. A good coax (made by Eagle, for example) wil have a semi-airspaced centre conductor, a substantial BRAIDED shield, and an outer copper foil layer.

Hope this helps, Ming.