Karcher washers

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 04:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Done a search on SN, learned a bit.

Interested probably in the 5.85, mainly for powerwashing the new house and patio and probably removing paint before repainting.

Complaints on SN were "don't get one with the aluminium head" (?)and "get one with a metal not a plastic motor".

How do I know I'm getting the right one? It doesn't list head or motor material on the spec sheet, and I can't open it in the shop! As it costs over 200 quid, does that mean it's "safe", rather than a fifty quid B&Q job?

Thanks!

Brendan
Old 05 January 2004, 04:21 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a Karcher one for around £150 quid. It lasted a few years then when it needed repairing I got the usual breathing in through teeth whilst shaking head routine of saying "Not worth fixing mate, can't get the parts for these, you should have bought a more expensive model".

Next time I spent more money and bought a Seeley model that I wasatold was the dogs danglies with metal bits not plastic and auto-stop. This one lasted even less then the Karcher. Same response from workshop guys eg "Not worth repairing, needs new motor, seals gone, you should have bought a more expensive one etc"

Well finally I've bought a £50 model and providing it lasts at least 6 months it will be cost effective. My neighbour also bought a cheap one a few years ago and it has outlasted both my expensive ones.

If your only going to be using it for light work then save your money and just buy a cheapo model.
Old 05 January 2004, 04:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

What kills them is running them on air (no water in the hose pipe).

They all use seals for the pump, so no matter how much it is - if its a Domestic/DIY model it will always have a finite lifespan unfortunately

Best bet for reliability is to get an industrial/commercial model. Far more robust, and the parts are mor likely to be replacable. But then they cost.

So either pay mega-bucks for the above or have a cheapy domestic one. And take care of it - i.e make sure you have water comming out of the lance BEFORE turning it on.
Old 05 January 2004, 06:14 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

ive owned 3 carchers in the past 4 years , my presant one has been leaking playing up for around a year as well .

i would not buy another carcher , would rather buy a cheapey , nothing but problems with them , only last 8 months , only used once a week to wash car , allways bled properly first and stored indoors , and still a wast of £150
Old 05 January 2004, 06:21 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

bought my Karcher from blackbushe market for £40 new (+£10 for the extra high pressure lance)

its only the basic one but its doin me well so cant complain
Old 05 January 2004, 06:59 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I bought mine off QVC when it first appeared on the telly, cost about £120 then whereas it probably costs about £70 for the same spec now. I've had it for about 7 or 8 years? and it's been faultless
Old 05 January 2004, 09:04 PM
Dremel
Scooby Regular

I've got a karcher washer, had a problem with it not automatically switching on pump when trigger pressed - went to my local karcher dealer, got some detailed drawings of my model, sussed out what was wrong, ordered part, fitted it, working again, no probs.
Cost was below £10 and the dealer was quite helpfull, maybe worth trying if one near you.

Jon.
Old 05 January 2004, 09:12 PM
Ali Scott
Scooby Regular

got one of the cheaper ones a few years ago and lasted about a year, think it got abused alot though, left in the shed over a very cold winter did it no favours..