Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much do you need before you can retire?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 11:21 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How much should one have stashed away, be worth (asset value) before considering early retirement?

Obviously this depends upon what sort of lifestyle you'd want to live after retirement, but I think having about 1 mil in the bank would be a good point to start
Old 05 January 2004, 11:24 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I would think it is also dependent on the age at which you wish to retire.... if you only had a couple of years left then 1 mil might just do it...
Old 05 January 2004, 11:25 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

duplicate post removed

[Edited by ajm - 1/5/2004 11:34:01 AM]
Old 05 January 2004, 11:28 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

1M in the bank isn't going to do a lot for you in terms of income, especially if you want to protect the capital. maybe about £30k per year, which i suppose isn't too bad but it isn't a forutne, and you've got to get the 1m in the first place, which i imagine would be the hard part...
Old 05 January 2004, 11:30 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

depends on a lot of things.

1 mill invested VERY conservatively will get you what... 5% tops? That's 50K/year. assuming you want to live at the same level indefinitely and never deplete your money, you need to leave in an amount to get around inflation... which is what.. 3%? that leaves u around 20k/year.

so with a million quid saved up, you could only realistically spend 20 grand-ish a year to continue living at this level forever. not a lot.. but id assume with that kind of money, you'd already have a house paid for so wouldnt have any mortagage payments etc. it'd be hard to have nothing to do all day long and only 20k a year to spend.
Old 05 January 2004, 11:31 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Imagine how frustrating it'd be to have £1million in the bank and only have £28k a year to live on (£1m, 4% depo rate and tax at higher rate)
Rgds
Cman
Old 05 January 2004, 11:39 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Question

OK, seems like 1 mil is child's play. 3 mil would provide in the region of 60-70k to play with per year?

Isn't there a (tax)law to make things even more difficult for people who have all this money and chill out all day?
Old 05 January 2004, 11:48 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 million is plenty............you just need to invest it properly, anyone who thinks youd put 1 million in a savings account needs to get out more. Its possible to make a much better return with careful stock picks or consider 2nd 3rd properties etc etc etc.

Personally, if I was retiring Id use my time to trade shares (day trading would be easy on a lot less than a million, beleive me Ive bought all my cars outright on trading, and I do a normal job as well, the share money just pays for the fun things ) - its really not that hard, but you need to be committed and do a lot of reading / spend time on the subject. A number of my mates have also done the same and done much better than me, we are talking big houses and Porkers.

[Edited by ADP - 1/5/2004 11:50:31 AM]
Old 05 January 2004, 11:52 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
You people are so parochial in your outlook that it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

The question really depends on where you want to live, if you want to remain in the overcrowded, overpriced UK then you could do it with £500K.

Here is how- find a university town where house prices haven't risen too much. Then you buy a property with at least 5 rooms (for 100K say), spend a minimal amount of cash on converting it to comply with fire regs, decorate cheaply, then rent it out with minimal cheap decorative work done to it. Assuming you can cram 5 of them in there, it will be an income of around £250-300 per week with no mortgage to pay. Repeat this 5 times to get an income of 5K per month while protecting your capital and potentially increasing it if house prices go up.

With the 1 million mentioned earlier in the thread I imagine an income of 10K per month could be achieved.

The trick is having the money in the first place.

Personally I'd get out of the UK and go an live somewhere nice, warm and cheap if I had a decent amount of cash- oh wait I already have.

Old 05 January 2004, 11:53 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

shares go down as well as up.. and unless u know what you're doing, it's hardly a safe thing to do with your retirement fund. id assumed he'd meant how much u need to GUARANTEE 100% that u can live indefinitely.

personally id look into corporate letting rather than shares.. but that's just me.

whichever way u look at it, if u want £1m to make u any more than 2ish% pa after inflation, there WILL be a risk involved.
Old 05 January 2004, 11:54 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

ADP - what sources of info are good to use? are we talking FT or more advanced stuff? i would have thought that having good info is pretty important as a lot of what's floating about will be trying to con people into bying over-valued stock.
Old 05 January 2004, 12:07 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I trade in a bank, I have huge resources of research and capital. Anyone who can guarantee to outperform the risk-free rate of return with zero risk attached is talking bollocks. 'Carefull stock picking' LOL substitute lucky for carefull, otherwise all us bankers would just borrow at the lending rate and invest in these 'sure thing' schemes people on here dream about. Of course people know people who win alot consistantly in the markets...there are soo many participants that statistically there *have* to be winners...its like the infinite number of monkeys at typewriters story...of course infinite-1 monkeys just ended up typing jibberish LOL
Rgds
Chuck
Old 05 January 2004, 12:18 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

OF - but at the same time the major indices do consistently outperform the base rate - is this not the case? Of course, they do crash now and then, but if you take a longer term view?
Old 05 January 2004, 12:20 PM
Luke
BANNED

Come to England as a illegal immigrant..might not be warmer .. but you dont have to ever work again...
Old 05 January 2004, 12:22 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Assuming you can cram 5 of them in there, it will be an income of around £250-300 per week with no mortgage to pay
300 a week is 1200 a month, if you bought a house worth 100K I dont think you would get 1200 a month! Especially in town..

Plus I bet the barstuards wouldn't keep up with rent.

Old 05 January 2004, 12:23 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chuck - Nail & head come together in one movement.
Always amazing how many hands the "winners" have in the air, there never seem to be losers in equal numbers !

D
Old 05 January 2004, 12:32 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Makes sense now.

Just need to save a million now (lol!)

[Edited by akshay67 - 1/5/2004 12:34:46 PM]
Old 05 January 2004, 12:34 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

akshay - that was the idea, wasn't it? you wouldn't want to burrow a mill to put a mill in your bank to gain interest, would you?
Old 05 January 2004, 12:37 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Propercharlie

advfn, tmf, iii, ft?, InvChron etc etc etc

Im no proffessional, but Ive done alright for quite a few years now, you need to know when to cut your losses though, Ive never used money that could put me at risk or that I cant afford to do with out.

[Edited by ADP - 1/5/2004 12:44:47 PM]
Old 05 January 2004, 12:41 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
chaos- you make their parents stand as guarantor and make sure they are home owners, believe you me they pay up when they are threatened with losing their homes.

It's also very easy to get the amounts of money I mentioned- consider that for 5 occupants it is only £50 each per week.

As for having the money in the first place I started off with a 5K bank loan, 2K off my parents for legal fees (paid back within a month)and a 30K mortgage. The difference between me and a lot of other people is that I got off my **** when I saw an opportunity and did something about it. That's why I'll be retired before I'm 40.
Old 05 January 2004, 12:49 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Red face

30K mortgage
How much was the value of the house and where in the UK was it? Oh this must have been quite a while ago?
Old 05 January 2004, 12:53 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Well firstly let me say this- I'm not stupid enough to give out exact personal details on a public BBS, as some morons find out to their cost it can cause you problems if you put someones back up

The houses I bought were all in a university town in the NW of England and prices have trebled since then (thus the 100K figure I used in my example).

This was 3 yrs ago.
Old 05 January 2004, 12:54 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "The only places in the SE I could think of that would be cheap are in Dover where all the illegal immigrants are"

I see a business opportunity in buying crap housing, doing sod all to it and letting it out to asylum seekers on benefit- don't you? Perhaps you should use that idea.
Old 05 January 2004, 12:56 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

everyone can be wise with hindsight - oh if i had done x or y, then i would now be worth £££ by now. i think NACRO's point is that most people don't bother - they just concern themsleves with day-to-day living. i admit that when i was 20, if i had enough money to get the beers in on friday evening, i was happy enough. it's only now, ten years later, that i am more concerned about making plans for my *future* wealth.
Old 05 January 2004, 01:11 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Question

Nacro...do you think buying houses (thru mortgaging), renting them out so they cover the mortage (i.e. pay for themselves), done as many times as possible is a good thing to do? I assume you have experience of this?

Quick Reply: How much do you need before you can retire?