Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where do I stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 10:47 AM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Over the Xmas period I have discover that the people I bought my house from lied on the fixture and fittings form, the last page had questions about treatment for infestations etc, to which they answered no.

Having dragged a stinking dead rat from my extention ceiling I was then told by the council pest control guy that the people before us had the same problem! Turns out the woman was terrified and they obviously wanted out.

Do I have any come back? Thought I might check here before calling my solicitor, Im in a terrace and it not just my house with probs of the furry kind, seems my whole row is having probs(just incase you thought I was dirty of summat).

Any help appreciated.
Old 05 January 2004, 10:51 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

at the end of the form you have to sign to say that the information you have supplied is true to the best of your knowledge. if they have deliberately witheld information, then you do have redress. i should think you will be able to make a claim for the cost of getting the problem sorted, at the least.
Old 05 January 2004, 10:55 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
As PC said

My wife was bricking that the purchasers of our last house would pull out if we told them about the neighbour & her poxy horse, but we had to do it, told them all about it & they luckily didn't.

Its a breach of contract and you can have full redress against the previous occupiers for non-disclosure.

Just get your solicitor to kick a$$ (& get her to pay for his costs as well )
Old 05 January 2004, 11:02 AM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

Was hoping that would be the case!
Cheeky buggers even took the toilet seat and bath side! Might try and get them to pay the cost of replacing them too!
Old 05 January 2004, 11:06 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

toilet seat? that's taking the p*ss isn't it?

one place we moved into they even took the poxy light fittings. as it was i couldn't be bothered to complain as they were tacky fake brass jobs that i would have binned sooner or later in any case. it would have been nice to have something to screw the lightbulb into, though...
Old 05 January 2004, 11:12 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Angry

If they have withheld information and you can prove it e.g. previous reports from pest controllers ects they are in Breach of Contract, you should be able to take legal action of some sort (no expert so speak to your solicitor).
PC, I thought it was law that light fittings had to be supplied (e.g. standard ceiling roses) I had to refit all the old roses when we moved, well the ones that the Mrs wanted to take with her anyway.

John.
Old 05 January 2004, 11:17 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

John - as i understand it, if the item is fixed to the property then it is part of the sale. Probably i could have insisted that they came back and re-fitted the lights, but it didn't really seem worth it as i didn't want their naff lights in any case!
Old 05 January 2004, 11:19 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

I think the eastate agents have to pay out for any costs. As its there mistake

Not 100% on that though