Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone use Cubasis?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2003, 11:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Which is, as I understand, a neat software package allowing music composition etc. Thinking of getting it as birthday present for 16 year old guitar playing lad. Any comments welcome. Any similar/better packages that I should consider?

Mods - I am seeking musician comment rather than computer input hence this forum and not computer related. Thanks, David
Old 31 December 2003, 11:41 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I've used Cubase VST (it's big brother) and am currently running Cubase SX 2.0. What do you need to know?

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 12/31/2003 11:41:39 AM]
Old 31 December 2003, 12:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Uncle,

1) Well I now know how to spell it correctly

2) My lad has laid some original funk rock tracks down on a CD and I am hoping he would be able to input these into the PC and then use Cubase to add other instruments to the track and generally play around and do some original composition. I went to Amazon but there was only a very brief overview of what the product actually does

3) I need a cost overview as well - I have circa £100 +/- in mind

4) Is it available at places like PC World as I would like it before 6 Jan so on-line at Amazon would be too late.

5) Is it reasonably friendly software as I am PC challenged although James is pretty bright in this regards (clever milkman ) We have a couple of reasonably modern PCs. Windows XP

Sorry to ask so many questions but you did ask and no police involved

David
Old 31 December 2003, 12:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Actually you have spelt it correctly. Cubasis is the entry level package costing around 60 quid. It’s very capable though. 48 audio tracks 64 midi tracks and VSTi plugin support. There are others out there but this is as good as any. It's a breeze to use.

You will be able to do what you describe with the software. It’s the hardware you need to be more worried about. What machine do you have?

UB
Old 31 December 2003, 02:51 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks UB,

Sounds encouraging. PC is a stand alone Evesham Technology made. AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400X. 2.00 GHz 512 MB RAM Windows XP Home Edition 2002 plus CD player and CD Rewriter

That's about all I can say - should be OK? David

Old 31 December 2003, 03:03 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yea, that'll be fine. A low latency sound card may be required if you want to monitor the audio whilst recording directly in. But from what you describe, you don't need to do that... yet. A suitable card is only around the 160 quid mark these days.

UB
Old 31 December 2003, 03:19 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Ive used cubase on my atari St's (4 all synced up together.....) (still use them too...retro fans )
And i also use it on Mac and pc ( in VST format)

Cubasis is a midly slimmed down version of cubase- same layout, same functions bar some of the more professional ones
For someone starting out using it its perfect.

[Edited by Freak - 12/31/2003 3:20:43 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2003, 03:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot guys - really helpful David
Old 31 December 2003, 04:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL - I served my time on the old ST. That of course is MIDI only. It's performance being somewhat limited by it's awesome 1MHz processor speed, massive 1Mb of ram and *no* hard drive..

Makes you wonder how all those great tunes ever got made It's just so much easier these days. (shame I never seem to have the time anymore)

UB
Old 31 December 2003, 05:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

There is also one hell of a difference between Cubasis (VST) and SX.

Virtually 2 different packages

I'm endorsed by Steinberg and regrettably (for them) favour Emagic's Platinum (albeit only available on the Mac)

Emagic do an "education" version which is still available on the PC.

Differences? Well not many. From a professional point of view, Logic's faster to build productions on. Also has better Timecode and Audio integration.

Cubase visually looks great, and used to be very simple to use. The addition of the audio aspect never seemed to be "sussed"

Due to Steinberg moving moreso in Hard Disk recording (Nuendo), SX looks very much like the aforementioned package.

For a beginner, even VST is too complicated. The windows give lots of information - almost too much.

As UB sez, your PC is fine. Without sounding biased, I would really look at all options - Steinberg and Emagic are the main ones, but there are loads of others, depending on what you want to do.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of UB (hope you don't mind mate!!), but feel free to ask away - there is a wealth of experience to be had

HTH

Dan
Old 31 December 2003, 05:56 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I served my time on the old ST
Another one

I miss its simplicity and the fact that studio clients would wait for the ST to (frequently) crash, and claim they'd lost an entire days work!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Wierd concept - pressing "Control S" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Got round the issue by buying Macs for each control room!!!! Bit excessive, but "hey!"

Dan

Best thing about the ST was "Kick Off 2"
Old 31 December 2003, 06:14 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

I bought mine for £10.00 Never ever had a problem with it.Got some for a mate abroad and he found them 100%

Old 31 December 2003, 06:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

ScoobyDoo555 - I really wanted to avoid the old Logic Vs Cubase, PC Vs Mac debate (argument) as it would only serve to muddy the waters, and expose a side of computer music making which I really don't enjoy.

Sure there are better faster whatever solutions available, but Cubasis IMO is a cheap and perfectly adaquate bit of kit for the job as described. I would strongly recommend it as a 'low investment' starting point.

UB
Old 31 December 2003, 06:43 PM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

I'm with UB - it works fine and gives reasonable results with relative ease. It's made by Germans and he'll discover a few amusing Germanic touches if he tries to use some of the more advanced features.

Personally, I went back to a 4-track after a bit of playing around recording on the pc... probably because I don't use any MIDI things and am not very patient!!
Old 31 December 2003, 06:53 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

hey i have crack versions of cubase VST and logic platinum- but i dont use them that often to be honest

yes i still use my ataris- and my akais- MIDI and hardware samplers all the way
the timing on Ataris is spot on- and ive never had one crash surprisingly.
Main one is upgraded to a massive 4 meg... lol

Not a fan of software synths and samplers and plug ins- but thats just me

Personally i find it mind numbingly boring doing everything from a mouse and a screen
Old 31 December 2003, 06:54 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Aren't soft synths amazing
That room full of Rolands, Moogs, Phophets, Yamaha DX's, Arp's is now a reality (a virtual one).

I enjoy nothing more than twidling with a **** or two
Old 31 December 2003, 07:00 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

EDITED.

Dan

[Edited by ScoobyDoo555 - 12/31/2003 7:03:17 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 07:05 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I found the old ST *very* stable. Crashes were unknown in my experience. When the disks got corrupted you could lose lots of data though

Did anyone try the Mega ST? 4 megs of Ram *and* a hard disk (20Mb as I remember) It was the dogs danglies at the time.

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 12/31/2003 7:10:00 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 08:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Smile

Blimey - think I need a drink to take all that in!! But looks like I will go with Cubasis as a starting option. For fans of the way it used to be done I was in the background at the recording studio yesterday where James' band cut the CD. The main console was a 32 track kit originally owned by Jimmy Page but still going strong (the console that is). Pushing my luck but I now have a CD with a selection of original material funk rock just waiting for a producer to appreciate its quality. Actually some excellent guitar work in particular. Anyone got any contacts? Happy to provide CD. HNY. David