Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police don't care eh?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 03:41 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I don't normally rise to the bait of the people on this BB who constantly whinge and moan that the Police aren't interested when your car gets stolen, but today I will make an exception.

If those of you who have slagged us off in the past still believe that, try telling that to the widow of Pc Ian Broadhurst who was tragically shot dead trying to arrest a car thief in Leeds yesterday.

Ian, paid the ultimate price for doing a job that a lot of people criticise and moan about, but haven't got the guts to do themselves.

It is very easy to be an armchair critic, when you haven't got the first idea what you are talking about.

RIP Ian.
Old 27 December 2003, 03:49 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I didn't know Ian, however Neil Roper (the officer who survived) is a friend.

My deepest sympathies to all those affected by this tragedy.
Old 27 December 2003, 03:50 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Its his own fault for not following basic police procedures, like SEARCHING the criminal before plonking them in the back of the fuking car.
Survival of the fittest.

Ill probably be seeing him shortly, life fukz, oh sorry, mine just sukz.

cha0s
Old 27 December 2003, 03:55 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Wow just wow. Best reply ever chaos.. Just imagine if it were your friend who got shot trying to save a stranger's property. I say these guys deserve a medal and I did point it out already. Stop being retarded..

edit: Lets see who's first to b*tch to the police if their car is stolen?

[Edited by Katana - 12/27/2003 3:56:15 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 04:02 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Well its not just his own life he wrisked by not carrying out the most basic tasks, he put the life of his fellow officer and the public,.. I'd say thats a pretty stupid thing to do in a position of such responsibility, eh?

cha0s[Yes I'm bitter]
Old 27 December 2003, 04:04 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

chaos with an attitude like that there's no wonder your life "sukz".
Old 27 December 2003, 04:04 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

i must say i wouldnt have a dangerous crim sat behind me without taking his gun off him 1st.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:07 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

We are all human and we all make mistakes. Unfortunately in his case a mistake on his part led to him being killed.

If my mate hadn't made the "mistake" of trying to help a woman who was being attacked by a man, he would still be here today

RIP
Old 27 December 2003, 04:08 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Angry

awful. was the criminal stopped? if he's still alive then nothing but the death penatly for him (pity that's not available )
Old 27 December 2003, 04:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

so he chucked him in the back of the car without searching him.

hmmmm
Old 27 December 2003, 04:11 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

What kind of procedure you talking about? Jesus wept do you work as a police officer? Now tell me what would you have done? Do you know how quick one can draw a gun and fire it? I've had some basic firearms training before so before you shoot off your mouth on how some unarmed officer should've done the procedure in a split second situation where you dont even know the details about then don't talk as you know what you're talking about. Real life is not the same as in Robocop. The bad guy doesnt always mouth off his intentions and its easy to conceal your weapons and draw it. Jesus..
Old 27 December 2003, 04:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Katana your going off on one because sumbody (not in the best and most tactful way it has to be said) mentioned that a police officer didnt search sumbody, before chucking him in the back of a patrol car?
Old 27 December 2003, 04:16 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

The guy was carrying a loaded weapon in public. I don't think he'd have given it up without a fight, regardless of when (or if) he was searched.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

if this bloke was put in the back of a car, and nothing happend, imagine what would have been said if they got to the station and they took his belongings from him
Old 27 December 2003, 04:22 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

They never got that far, did they, so I don't think its fair to speculate. They were in the process of arresting him.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:22 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

It is very easy to be an armchair critic, when you haven't got the first idea what you are talking about.
I refer you to my previous comment!

No doubt if he had been arrested prior to putting him in the car, he would have been searched. However, he was probably in the car whilst the officers conducted enquiries to establish his ownership of the vehicle. There's no power to search him just coz he's in your car.

Maybe lessons can be learnt and maybe the law needs changing.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:25 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Even though I am no big fan of the way the police operate in the UK this is an absolutely tragic incident.

It also strengthens my belief that all officers should be armed and the rules of engagement of any potetntial suspect be amended to attempt to cater for situations like this.

It's no good pretending any more - the UK has a serious gun crime problem and matters will only get worse unless some changes are made and made soon.

tiggers.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:26 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

According to the limited information in the public domain, the car had been stopped because it was suspected of being stolen, and details were being taken at the time.

How many times when you have been speaking to a police officer, have you been searched when put in the back of a car to ask for details??
Old 27 December 2003, 04:28 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Now tell me what would you have done?
OK., so the geezas got a pistol. Fine. He's probably going to shoot me regardless, but im less likely to die if I get shot in the stomach wearing my bullet proof vest.

point blank range in the back of a patrol car = brains all over the windscreen

Hes probably in a better place now anyhow.

cha0s

Old 27 December 2003, 04:31 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

but im less likely to die if I get shot in the stomach wearing my bullet proof vest.
The vests provided are not 100% bullet proof, or 100% stab proof either, to date there is no body armour that is 100% effect that will not interfer in the course of an officers duty.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:36 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
but im less likely to die if I get shot in the stomach wearing my bullet proof vest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------The vests provided are not 100% bullet proof, or 100% stab proof either, to date there is no body armour that is 100% effect that will not interfer in the course of an officers duty
^Thats just a lame post
You'll agree youve got less chance of dieing with being shot in the stomach with a 9mm cap gun than in the back of the head?
anyway thats my lot on the matter,
have a nice day

cha0s
Old 27 December 2003, 04:39 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

clicky
Old 27 December 2003, 04:41 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hes probably in a better place now anyhow.
You really are bitter..
Old 27 December 2003, 04:44 PM
*scooby babe*
Scooby Regular

shouldnt they have put handcuffs on him before they put him in the car? Because then he would not have been able to get the gun from where ever he was hidding it?!!?!
Old 27 December 2003, 04:53 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

i think the point is that they just asked the guy to get into their car while they got his details checked out. why would they handcuff him when he wasn't under arrest? i can't believe people think that this is the right time to start questioning the procedures used. jesus christ, a man in the prime of his life has been taken from his family , can't we try and show a little respect?

my sincere condolences go out to the man's family.

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 12/27/2003 4:54:41 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 04:57 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

In response to the original post - I have utmost respect for professions like Police, Firemen etc.(as I'm sure the vast majority of people do) who day in day out put their lives at risk for total strangers - yeah these guys may choose to do it as a career, but its still in my eyes a selfless role. My mate is an officer and some of the situations hes had to endure opened my eyes a bit more to reality of how people can be.

People may whine when we get the odd speeding ticket/ reprimand etc. but people just moan about anything nowadays with or without reason

Its always sad when someone loses their live, irrelevant of the circumstances, especially when only trying to do their job.

As to some of the comments of this thread, I'm both surprised and saddened.
Old 27 December 2003, 05:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Deepest sympathies to this officers family and friends. This is a tragedy.

Chaos - I doubt if he really asked to be shot to death, your comments are out of order IMHO. Also your commenta about body armour - it is not necessarily the size of round (9mm) it can be the type of round, a Teflon coated 9mm or some of the more nasty AP derivitives designed to pierce body armour. it is not the size that counts. 9mm A cap gun, oh dear!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 12/27/2003 5:13:41 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 05:18 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

CHAOS - you are out of order m8, no one wants to see a copper shot dead. No i dont like them, think most of them are power crazed Hitlers with nothing better to do than to persecute (sp) the motorist and when you do need them, you cant bloody find one.

The real problem is that the police have lost respect from joe piblic. Speed cameras and the relentless hassle of the innocent motorist has destroyed most peoples faith in them. Sorry, but thats their fault.

Our local nick is part time, criminals are full time, but 200 yards from the nick is a speed van. beggars belief, a local who had a car vanalised had to phone a nick 8 miles away, plod never turned up, but the speed van managed to catch a few cars going 35 in a 30.

Tell plod we want to see coppers on the beat they say it not worth it, catch a few speeders is, cos it pays more.

Your response chaos is typical from some one who has lost all faith in the police, bit like me then mate, but, you cant say what u did.

Old 27 December 2003, 05:31 PM
AdamK_Cupra
Scooby Regular

hello?? knock knock knock, is anyone home??

why are u pissed off with teh police for anti speeding measures?? I am a copper, and do i personally put anti speeding measures in place?? no i don't!!

it is the government and senior management who tell me what i have to do, and i don't have much choice whether i do it or not.
Old 27 December 2003, 05:39 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Cha0s,
You surpass yourself even by your own lowly standards.

I have no time for the police either but they are there to protect us and uphold the law. That's what they were attempting to do when this tragedy happened. This policeman has family who are no doubt devastated at this tragic news.

For once in your life show a bit of respect.

Chip.

Quick Reply: Police don't care eh?