Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD Recorders and Sky+

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 11:50 AM
RUFocused
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of geting me a DVD recorder, whilst i know i can record from sky+ to Vhs have anybody else thought about recording to DVD.
Old 21 December 2003, 12:17 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

how do record onto vhs from Sky+?
Old 21 December 2003, 12:36 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

shouldn't be a problem. THe only difference I can think of is if Sky+ controls your VCR automatically with Infra red.

If not, you can just connect your Sky+ VCR output up to your DVD recorder and away you go.

This output might only be composite though, so for better quality you might be better off attaching your DVD recorder to the main Sky+ output, then from there to the TV. You should get a much better recording that way.
Old 21 December 2003, 03:36 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There will be no difference recording to DVD than to VHS from Sky+

You can only output analogue from Sky+ not a direct digital signal.

Lee
Old 21 December 2003, 03:57 PM
RUFocused
Scooby Regular

Hmmm that was what i was thinking of a digital recording,and if possible the 5.1 soundtracks that are sometimes broadcast. So what sort of quality would the analouge output give me

[Edited by RUFocused - 12/21/2003 4:29:34 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 04:15 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

when you use the copy function within SKY+ to record to video tape you use the second scart to output to the video. The video can then record from this. This gives a good picture on VHS but if you are recording to DVD then you more or less want an RGB output like the main feed from SKY+ to the TV. The second scart does not have RGB out functionality. If you want to copy RGB out to the DVD recorder then you have to connect the system up the the RGB ouput. depending upon how the DVD recorder works you might need to connect the Svideo out from the sky+ to the TV so you can see whet you are doing. You will get very good results using RGB out feed.

Currently the only device that can output a pure digital signal is a pioneer DVD player equiped with HDMI output. This then need to go to a pioneer plasma using a HDMI input.

Si
Old 21 December 2003, 09:12 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Hmmm that was what i was thinking of a digital recording,and if possible the 5.1 soundtracks that are sometimes broadcast. So what sort of quality would the analouge output give me
Sky+ doesn't record a digital picture it records the digital bit stream from the sat feed. When you watch the recording it is decoded live. Thats why you can only watch one picture as Sky+ has two digital sat feeds but only one decoder. This does mean that the recording is exactly the same quality as the live broadcast.
The recording on the DVD recorder will be the same quality as recording a live picture. This depends on what feed you give the DVD player, composite, S-Video or RGB and what setting you have the DVD recorder set at. You will only get a stereo soundtrack with any Dolby Pro-Logic encoding, unfortunatly no 5.1

Lee