Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OFT to look into warranty & servicing

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 10:22 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I see this morning on tv that the OFT are finally going to issue a report on the scandal of having to have your car serviced/repaired at a main dealer to keep you warranty intact. IMO it is about time this was cleared up once and for all.

OFT Report

[Edited by sillysi - 12/17/2003 11:34:42 AM]
Old 17 December 2003, 01:09 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

So the OFT think its a great idea to force manufacturers to repair faults that werent caused by them. I.e. SOme mug buys a 60K Merecedes. Fills the engine with 2 stroke oil, then cains it up and down the M1 for 6 months till the engine dies. Then take it back, admits what hes done and can he have a new engine under warranty please!

Im not a fan of some manufacturers but even I would understand their reticense to helping people who have made no effort to look after their market share. You want the warranty you pay the £150-£200 a year for your servicing. Still cheaper than paying for a gearbox if it fails!

If its made law all that'll happen is the customer with out the service history to get full warranty will be either given a shoddy service deliberately or will be charged expensive "administraition" costs. Just like the price fixing thing, nothing will change in actual fact!

We get more like the Americans each day! I want all the goods but nonw of the blame!
Old 17 December 2003, 01:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I don't think it'll work like that. You still have to get your car serviced at the correct intervals etc. The only difference being is that you don't HAVE to have it done at the main dealer. The servicing company still have to be 'approved' (not by the manufactuers I hope!!!), vat registered etc.

Take it to main dealers - warranty OK
Take it to approved independant - warranty OK
Take it to Phil Mitchell or DIY - warranty not OK.
Old 17 December 2003, 02:49 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Agree with Dracoro on this one. The manufactures service schedule still has to be adhered to using OEM or better parts.

rr_ww,

In your example the "mug" would have invalidated his warranty and would not be able to claim. I am not sure where you are coming from with the American comparison. All the OFT is saying is that the market may have not been opened up to the benefit of the consumer as he is still tied to the main dealer for servicing.

Si.