Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MMR - peoples view on combined or seperate jabs?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2003, 10:03 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watched a dramatisation lastnight and provoked some thought especially as both my 1 and 4 y/o daughters need their 1st / booster jab respectively?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:08 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

My daughter just had the mmr jab.

Iirc girls have a lot less chance of autism......

You have to weigh it up against catching measles, mumps etc...

Old 16 December 2003, 10:08 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

We think the government are just trying to save money but not taking parents feelings into consideration

our kids have had it but for the youngest as we feel they should wait till they are a bit older but you should have the choice
Old 16 December 2003, 10:10 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Not saying I would take the risk of not having the jabs but why is there no choice to having the seperately unless you go private?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:10 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I always thought you had the choice ?
Is that not the case ?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:11 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

There is no firm proof that the combined jab causes autism, just some circumstantial evidence, as you'll know. In fact, there are greater clinical dangers from having the jabs separately, apparently.

It's a personal choice thing at the end of the day, surely?

The biggest regret over the whole predicament is that there are now parents not getting their kids immunised at all. That can't be a good thing.
Old 16 December 2003, 10:13 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

you dont have a choice of single jabs that is all people want

just this superdose or nothing

Tel there is no proof it doesn,t cause autism either
Old 16 December 2003, 10:15 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

TB - that is a bad thing I agree.

Personally I'm happy with the combined one and have booked up the jabs for next week. Its the gf who has the worries after seeing the programme (which we both thought wasnt scaremongering BTW).
Old 16 December 2003, 10:25 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

B20, who/what scared you into that position?

Don't you think you're putting your son at even greater risk from NOT having them done? Isn't relying on your own past experience a bit of a straw-clutch?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:31 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I agree with bravo all people want is a choice single or triple

they are not saying they dont want the jab just not all at once

pete can you relay this to tony please
Old 16 December 2003, 10:48 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

What does your sons mother think about MMR B20?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:50 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Being ignorant here but what is the difference in having them singley or together??

1 jab with all 3 drugs in it
3 jabs with 1 drug in it

They all end up being mixed about in your body anyway so what is the difference how it is injected??

And no I do not have kids.
Old 16 December 2003, 10:53 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

you are giving them 3 different things for their body to deal with with the mmr jag

bit like having the flu the flu and the flu

not nice
Old 16 December 2003, 11:07 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Pugoetru, are you a doctor??

B20, i believe the Government's stance on this is because there *is* proof of greater risk from separate jabs, they don't want to offer a riskier alternative, for the sake of the children.

Difficult to prove either way. If autism didn't develop in kids at precisely the sort of time in their lives that these jabs were being administered, it would be very easy to prove whether there is indeed anything to worry about. I think if you saw the hard numbers of how many people get their kids MMR'd with no ill effects whatsoever, rather than the headline-grabbing scare stories, you'd come down in favour of them.

But then, people play the Lottery with little comprehension of what 1 in 14 million really means....
Old 16 December 2003, 11:10 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Another question

I rememeber when I was at school many moons ago that they only gave the rhubela(sp) jab to girls as boys can not contract this disease whatever it is.

So why are they giving boys MMR jabs anyway?

Or have things changed and boy now can get this disease??

I have never had mumps or measles either but did get chicken pox and whooping cough, do they vacinate against these aswell?
Old 16 December 2003, 11:15 AM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

To be honest it wouldn't bother me having the combined drug.

I am just as likely to get knocked over by a car or something, people are getting to paranoid nowadays, I will just live my life and deal with problems when they come.
Old 16 December 2003, 11:22 AM
SteveLegacyToo
Scooby Regular

I found a website somewhere once which collated all the published evidence on MMR and the risk of Autism and Bowel disease.

It transpired the the main chap behind this, Dr/Prof Wakefield started by looking at the effect on using the seperate jabs, and he, in his first paper, concluded that there was a link between Autism and the Measles jab.

He then re-ran the research on the MMR, and found autism again, so he decided that his first research was rubbish, and concluded that MMR is linked with Autism/bowel disorders.

So, the only proper research linking MMR with anything is by no means proven (Or the bloke is a Charletan). There was a study in Norway I think it was that looked like it had shown a link, but the designers of the study neglected a control group to compare against.
Old 16 December 2003, 11:31 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

B20

Of course there's a clinical risk - there's an inherent risk every time any injection is given. The greater risk is that your kid will catch something in the additional months they're unprotected.

What astonishes me is that this was all based on research done on a limited sample by two doctors, one of whom has since gone on to say that he's changed his mind on the matter.

This whole debate is symptomatic of the suspicion we have of doctors. Do you really think that every known medical council (who aren't excatly known for bowing down to the government) is wrong, or would you rather trust some lay people who think there's a link but don't know.

And as for people having choice; what the medical profession are offering is, in their view, the best clinical and medical practice. To offer separate jabs is to go back 20 years. So if you want to do that, fine, but why expect the government to pay for your irrational fear?

FWIW, I have children, all of whom have had the combined jab. I never had concerns, but my partner did. Rather than trawl the Internet and get bound up in gossip and hype, I asked my GP. She has several children of her own, and gave the following advice: there's a risk with any immunisation, but the risks of NOT being immunised are so much higher than any which might come with the combined jab that it's a chance not worth taking. She did say that she'd do the single injections privately, at minimal cost (I think she mentioned £20 per shot or thereabouts, though this was a few years back), but that she strongly advised against it because it left the kids exposed for longer. Her kids have had the combined jab, BTW.

I made my decision and slept easy that night. I trust my GP and will bow to her knowledge, as she'd bow to mine in my field of expertise.

[Edited by the moose - 12/16/2003 11:34:18 AM]
Old 16 December 2003, 11:39 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

all our kids had 1 jab - on the basis that the risk is minute (if at all) but 3 jabs hurts more than one jab! if i was a baby i'd want to get it over with!

T
Old 16 December 2003, 11:42 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

This is an incredibly emotive area. The key thing is to have your kids vaccinated, whether by single jabs or the combination MMR.

Measles is a killer disease: of course lots of people have survived it but it also causes deafness, blindness, brain damage etc.

Also, keeping measles down relies on herd immunity. If the vaccination rates keep dropping there's a very real risk of a serious measles outbreak.
Old 16 December 2003, 11:43 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

moose - a possible flaw it that being fund holding gp practices - every penny counts and all that!!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 12/16/2003 11:46:19 AM]
Old 16 December 2003, 11:51 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

S96

I mentioned that to my GP, who bitches and whines about costs (I know her personally as well as professionally) but said that this would be one of the last things she'd cut.

I really don't believe it's a cost issue for the government, so much as a desire to get as many children protected as early as possible in their lives. FFS, have people not seen the effects of mumps, measles & rubella? Not all governments are evil, you know, and most MPs (regardless of party) genuinely want to improve the lot of Mr & Mrs Jo(sephine) Public.

Old 16 December 2003, 11:55 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

moose - who knows - they're hardly likely to admit it are they

As I said my kids are going next week - our choice as parents but there should be an alternative choice for others who want seperate. If the risks are greater then why dont the government publish the stats?

Quick Reply: MMR - peoples view on combined or seperate jabs?