Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cameras on M6, M4, M62, M60, M56 Hoax!

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2003, 04:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Exclamation

RE-POSTED DUE TO SOME OVER-ZELOUS MOD MOVING IT!!

As I mentioned on another post, I e-mailed Speed Check - the makers and contractors of the SPECS cameras, and I have recieved the following e-mail....I hope this sorts out all this crap that's been posted here:

3rd December 2003

SPECS Email Hoax

There are several hoax emails regarding speed cameras circulating at the moment. It has been implied that a SPECS system has been installed on the M4, the M6 between Preston and Knutsford, the M62, the M60 and M56. Speed Check Services would like to assure all
interested parties that there are currently no SPECS systems in operation on any of these sites.
I can confirm that as of today, there are two major roadworks areas with a SPECS safety camera system deployed on motorways. These are:
M6 - Jct 18 - J19
Started June 2003 – Expected to be in place until March 2004
M6 Thelwell Viaduct Jct 19 - 20
Started August 2002 – Duration

The systems are installed at roadworks on motorways to encourage drivers to adhere to the reduced speed limit, with the sole purpose of improving site safety for road-workers and motorists. The SPECS system uses ANPR technology and works in pairs to calculate the average speed of motorists traveling between two points. These highly visible safety cameras encourage compliance with the temporary speed limit throughout the length of the
traffic management area.
The details of vehicles exceeding the posted speed limit are recorded digitally and are processed and checked by The Police to confirm their validity. SPECS cameras are always deployed overtly in conjunction with focused press activity in order to generate public awareness. New installations of SPECS cameras are announced on our website in the news and events section, so please continue to visit for future updates. It is the objective of Speed Check Services to operate with honesty and integrity and as a result, we are always happy to answer any questions relating to our products or services.

So, let this be the end of these hoax e-mails!!
Old 05 December 2003, 09:04 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what are you saying, that the camera's setup at j18-19 of m6 and Thelwell viaduct on m6 are not active for speeding convictions??? i'm confused.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:06 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 05 December 2003, 09:26 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

No SPage, he's saying that those two sites are real, and the rash of emails and stories in this forum and elsewhere about SPECS units being hidden in motorway signboards across the country are a load of bollocks.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:27 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Sorry stephen what does "LOL" mean?? i'm not totally upto speed with computer slang and i keep seeing people saying it.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:33 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey - with the speed that many drivers go through those 2 sites you would think that they were not working, there must be alot of people with points on the licenses. There seems to be alot of mis-information going around about the 2 sites because my brother inlaw has just been told by someone that they have only just become active. there are so many rumours its hard to tell whats right and whats wrong.

So the answer is they are active yes ?? and always have been since they were put in???