Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Karcher pressure washer - anyone repaired theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2003, 05:22 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've got a 550 model that started playing up - motor would kick in and out when not being used - like it was losing pressure somewhere. I've stripped it down so all I'm left with is the motor and pump assembly. Going to have a look at the pump side tonight, has anyone had any experience of sorting one, ordering spares or sending back for repair. It's out of warranty and it'll need posting to the nearest service dealer.

Kevin.
Old 04 December 2003, 05:35 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Not sure but mine has the same problem. I was told to check the filter but haven't yet had time. I'd be interested to know the outcome ....

Nath
Old 04 December 2003, 05:39 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Arent you meant to turn it off if not actually using ie. blasting water out off , as this causes the pump to fail
Old 04 December 2003, 05:43 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Nath, will let you know.

Nick, pump cuts out on a pressure switch if it's not being used.

Back to the garage then......

Kevin.

[Edited by Kevin Groat - 12/4/2003 5:45:06 PM]
Old 04 December 2003, 06:49 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Old 04 December 2003, 07:14 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I had one that was doing the same thing it was replaced under warranty.

They told me it was the pump seals or something that had gone so it was unable to maintain pressure. It's usually caused when the washer has been left running with the water switched off or it's been used when it's had insufficient water supply.

I suppose genuine wear and tear would do it as well.

Can't help with the repair but I bet its a new pump.

Lee
Old 04 December 2003, 07:20 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Okay, had the thing in bits and run it without all that plasic nonsense to see what's going on. Pressure switch is woking fine and filter is clear. Pulled the end off the pump but nothing visibly wrong. Lee, reckon you could right about the seals, well that's the easiest option at the moment anyway. Piece of **** to replace so I'll see if I can order them and take it from there. Will let you know how I get on.

Kevin.

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2003, 08:30 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

same thing happened to mine, the only way i could sort it out was through impact maintenance, needless to say it never worked again so that was sorted one way or another, just bought a new one in the end as they are pretty well sealed up inside.
Old 04 December 2003, 09:24 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Inside the switch assembly there is a little white plastic rod that sticks up and rests against a contact. When the rod moves (up I think but can't remember) it breaks the contact and the motor stops.

The rod comes up from the pump housing and is obviously some sort of safety device. Mine does it, has almost always done it and Karcher are crap at customer service.

I'm gonna put mine in the skip and a different one. Anybody want to take it off me?

SB
Old 04 December 2003, 09:29 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

SB,

That's the pressure switch. When pumps at pressure it cut's out the motor. My one won't hold pressure and when it's sat doing nothing the motor cuts in every 15 seconds or so trying to get the pressure up.

Kevin.
Old 04 December 2003, 09:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

my Karcher keeps blowing the seals out of the valve in the trigger mechanism in the lance. I have replaced it twice and the same thing has happened both times [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I am almost ready to skip the damn thing too!
Old 04 December 2003, 09:41 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mine chucked it today. Only used it about 30 times in 3 years.The cooling fan came loose and the motor was cooked although I thought they had a thermal cutout. Never buying another Krapcher instead going for a Bosch or something else. Workmate also had a problem with his and it hasn't been used much either.
Old 04 December 2003, 11:31 PM
Luke
BANNED

My ex's brother works for a company that makes parts for Them in germany. he would show us the cheap bits they make for the "B&Q's" type shops units .. much cheaper stuff than they normaly fit. You got what you paid for. Karcher still make csome of the best trade stuff going.
Old 05 December 2003, 08:38 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Mine was doing this - I took it to the Local repair centre and it cost £60 - it was the seals and a valve apparently. Works fine now though.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:13 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I've had 2 Karchers, and both have done the same thing. First one was replaced under warranty, and the second one I couldn't be arsed to change as I thought I would just get the same again (and by the looks of this thread I was right).

Get a cheap one from Argos or B&Q, just as effective and don't seem to break. If they do, you won't have lost so much money!

Geezer
Old 05 December 2003, 10:59 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know much about the Karchers you can get in DIY stores only that if you buy one with an aluminium head it won't last a couple of years and the sub £200 jobs are equally a fairly rubbish.

Best thing to do is find a Pressure Washer service company and see if they sell 2nd hand ones. I used to repair Pressure Washers for about 2 years and we used to sell 2nd hand ones if we had any serviceable ones we could sell on.

There is a make called KEW which are bullet proof, even the little ones go for ever. Kranzle is a good make which we used to sell to car hire firms and those little things took a hell of a beating and kept going.

Better off spending a bit more for something that will last and be easy to get spares for (seals, valves etc.)