Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Customer rights HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 09:34 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check with trading standards, but as far as I know this is the law that covers you:

Once you have payed for the goods, you have entered into a legally binding contract to buy, but unless the seller has made your dad sign special contractual conditions, they should still be bound by the Sale of goods act 1979. Contract is also bound by Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 Terms implied under sales of goods act, are to benefit the consumer. I am almost positive that you have a 14 day cooling off period for which you can decide that you don't want the product and ask for full refund, although some retailers maybe intitled to ask for you to cover admin costs etc. This is certinly the case for most retail shops, the only problem might be if the product has been made especially or cut to size etc which will mean the retailer cannot sell it on or what ever.

However, don't just cancel the cheque, as I have a feeling that there can also be an action bought by the retailer against the buyer if they refuse to pay, as I think it's breach of contract. Refusing to accept delivery of goods aswell can possibly mean that they can take action as well as the seller can claim costs etc.

My advice is act as quickly as possible, contact your local trading standards, they'll take enquiries on the phone, and normally very, very helpful.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/consumers/

I know my law pretty well, but I had to double check with them recently when a dodgey car dealer tried to rip me off. He refused to give me my deposit, after an AA check found the car was full of problems, which he had given me his word had been not only checked but serviced before he tried to sell it to me, and he basically told me where to go. I sent him a letter explaining which parts of the law he had broken, and that if he did not give me my deposit bnack and paid for the AA test based on the fact he had given false details in his advert and during his sales pitch, which is basically false terms of contract - highly illegal. The letter finished telling him, that a copy had been cc'd to the local trading standards, and if I did not recieve payment within 14 days he would be hearing from my legal representation (which I didn't have lol) he paid it all in full the next day

Good luck with it, just get your facts straight, and get legal, they all back down then.

[Edited by mynickers - 12/2/2003 1:00:41 AM]
Old 01 December 2003, 06:23 PM
Scuba
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ma dad has just bought a carpet yestarday (sat), he signed the cheque etc. then just tnite (mon) ma dad decided to cancel, BUT the order had been placed. He argued on the fone with the dealer and slammed the fone down.

What rights does he have??? Can he say give me my cheque back?????

Personally I think the dealer is a fuggin' w*nk for sayin u can't pull out when its ordered, I am sure when the order is in the dealers hands he is responsible for it!!

Old 01 December 2003, 06:24 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Can he not cancel his cheque?
Old 01 December 2003, 06:25 PM
Scuba
Scooby Regular

To shorten things up the dealer won't giv ma dad his money back!!

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 December 2003, 06:43 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Cancel the cheque...

Speak to trding standards people, they will speak to the retailer
Old 01 December 2003, 06:45 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Trading standards. They are just so helpful and always on your side.

Chip.