Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police Attitudes

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2003, 11:54 PM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been stopped by the police four times in all my years of driving, all for relatively minor driving errors. The first and second times I received fixed penalties, the others were "advice". My experiences of the attitudes of the different police officers were:

1st time - he was courteous
2nd - courteous, if a little sarcastic
3rd - courteous
4th - aggressive and abusive

Just wondered what others have experienced. I know people will often feel aggrieved about the action taken by the police officer, but I'm more interested to hear about his/her attitude at the time.
Old 19 November 2003, 12:05 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

been stopped a few times (maybe 4 times on a bike, 4 times in a car), allways advised to slow down, turn the mobile off, etc....allways polite, never a problem.....always drove slower afterwards.

T
Old 19 November 2003, 12:11 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Stopped a few times, I am always polite and funnily enough....so are they.
Old 19 November 2003, 01:29 AM
Misha
Scooby Regular

In this country? Well, 2 times stopped and 1 just approached, while i was in the car stand still.
First, was for speeding on M4- 98mph, got a penalty of 100quid, ban for 6 months. Agressive attitude, a bit rude. Happened in 2001. Second, for not displaying the tax disc. Fixed penalty of 60quid. Very polite attitude. Happened 3 weeks ago. As for the last time, for a banned turn offence. Horrible attitude, hate these m/f.
Old 19 November 2003, 02:36 PM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

So on this evidence, rudeness and abuse from the police generally tends to be the exception rather than the rule

I asked because I think I'll remember the last incident, when the police officer was abusive, much more than any other. And for the wrong reasons.

I have never been rude or threatening to a police officer - that would be very stupid as it could mean the difference between a few words of advice and a fine (or worse).

I find it disappointing in those instances when one or two officers fail to demonstrate a reasonable attitude for the circumstances, and let all of their colleagues down as a result.
Old 19 November 2003, 02:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've always been dealt with very politely by the police. Althoug the one that gave me a warning for no L plate on my moped when I was 16 was a bit sarky.
Old 19 November 2003, 02:58 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I've been stopped a few times, and usually found their attitude to be ok. Last time I was pulled up in the subaru it was obviously a chance pull because of the car. This time, even though i was very polite, i found the attitude of the officers a bit sarcastic and unnecessary. "Step away from the car" "Have you got a clean licence?" "Yes" "well it won't be for long". Then they tried to justify the pull by saying they had seen me speeding in a road that i had driven down about 20 minutes before being pulled, and also warned me for pulling a non-illegal u turn. I wasn't too bothered, but seeing as how they were taking up my time i thought they could have adopted a friendlier attitude.
Old 19 November 2003, 03:06 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

If they're abusive - report them. Simple.
Old 19 November 2003, 03:12 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I remember when I was younger (17) I was punched in the stomach by a Police 'Officer' because I wouldnt take my hands out of my pockets when I was being 'interrogated' at the roadside. This is unusual though, as I reckon I've been stopped about 20 times and most were polite and to the point.

After being punched by PC "Show Me Some Respect Boy" I soon wised up re my rights. No jumped up civil servant will EVER try to talk down to me or threaten me again. Its give me your badge number every time if they try.

Old 19 November 2003, 03:31 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Been stopped several times.

All times they were ***** about it, but the last time they ended up being lying ***** - gotta love 'em (NOT).

tiggers.
Old 19 November 2003, 03:36 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Only been stopped twice.

First was after leaving work I went to meet a mate with his new car in a local car park, must have been there for a hour or more and police stopped us both on the way to ask what we were doing there @ 2am in the morning for such a long time, showed him my work clothes and let us both go. No problem at all, very polite.

Second was after supposedly overtaking on double white lines and he was in a work car but not a police car ( traffic etc )he said I was gettin 3 points and £60 when I told him I hadent even been close to the lines when I started the manovure, told me not to bother trying to take it futher as it would only make it worse for myself. I should have taken legal action but I was young and had no witness and was told that it might not be worth the money
That copper will hopefully rot in hell.
Old 19 November 2003, 03:48 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Going to get my jacket from the motorcycle pannier, I was approached by two policemen. I was asked "is this your bike sir?". "Yes it is" I replied. To which they then told me they suspected me of drinking and asked me to provide a specimen of breath. I thought it was a wind up at first but they were serious. "I was only getting my jacket" I told them. "I have some freinds waiting for me at the taxi rank round the corner". Anyway they arrested me and charged me with drinking and driving. They were polite to me the whole time, and I was polite to them.
They both blatently lied in court to secure my conviction. They said I was sitting on the bike and was about to drive off when they stopped me. Bloody liars! Wouldn't have been easy driving off with a great big security lock through the front wheel. Banned for two years(in 1993) and a £600 fine.
But they were polite!
Old 19 November 2003, 04:00 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I was pulled at well in excess of the legal motorway limit on my way on a night out,the guy was great as he said my driving was spot on even though i was going too fast,i would have got away with a warning he said, only i was that busy talking to my passenger and hadnt noticed him in his huge Range Rover up my rear,we agreed i wasnt paying enough attention.We settled on 78mph, 3 points and £60 fine.RESULT and he was very polite.