Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another MTB question.

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2003, 05:39 PM
Big_Dog666
Scooby Regular

Location: outside your bedroom window watching you as you sleep!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What's the best alrounder? Full sus or hardtail?? And with what amount of travel?
Old 18 November 2003, 06:23 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

How long is a piece of string ?

I'd say Full suspension, 5 - 6" front and rear, 8" discs, 3 rings, or 2 rings and a bashguard, something like a Santa Cruz Heckler or Bullit. However, I'm sure someone will jump in and say something along the lines of "Full suspension bikes are far to heavy for all round use and they are less efficient than hardtails, the suspension soaks up some of your power. What you want is a very light weight XC hardtail." Basically it depends on what you want to do with the bike, where you want to ride it and how fit / skilled you are.

For the type of riding that I do when I'm out in the hills, I want something that is comfy, handles well and is strong enough that I can take on pretty much any line I can spot. I'll happily pedal an extra 10 - 15 lbs of bike around if it is comfy enough to stop me getting beat up on long, very rough rides, and it will allow me to ride flat out on descents. As far as climbing is concerned, I'll get there eventually, I'm not too fussed if the extra weight of my bike slows me down a bit on the climbs, I'm out riding for the views from the top and the fun of riding back down.
Other people, who live in areas where ther terrain is less severe, or put more emphasis on the fitness and cross-country speed aspects of the sport would probably want a lighter bike and would sacrifice comfort and strength for something that climbs better.

Keith Bontrager, legendary bike designer and engineer has this to say about saving weight on mountain bikes. Andthis to say on full suspension bikes in Cross country racing.
Old 18 November 2003, 09:41 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Rigid singlespeed is the only way to mountain bike

Cheers

Ian