Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phones to be banned because of Bush visit?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2003, 09:20 AM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just heard a rummor from a work mate that they are thinking of banning all mobile phones in London during Bush's visit. Not sure why but I fecking hope not [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 18 November 2003, 09:44 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Sincerely doubt that that would be in any way enforceable....
Old 18 November 2003, 09:50 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I think that is complete rubbish.

It could be done by making the five providers switch off the cells within a certain area.

Steve.
Old 18 November 2003, 09:52 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course. It's to stop people's ability to coordinate a terrorist attack against him.

It is easy by using emergency powers to switch off all mobile phone transmitting masts in the area.

Then, when they find out people are using landlines to communicate, the entire London phone network will be shut down for three days (including the financial centrea, as OBL has lots of money and could have agents there) to protect this Guardian of the Free World.

Finally, when they find that the protesters communicate by talking to each other, the population of London's tongues will be cut out, just to be on the safe side. History will judge us to be right.

Old 18 November 2003, 09:59 AM
bobbyh
Scooby Regular

went to hear mike moore at the apollo in manc last week, very enlightening.........

bush my aR$e!!
Old 18 November 2003, 09:59 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

It's actually the fear that a mobile phone can be used to remotely set off a bomb. The radio this morning said that it was looked at but will not be implemented, but who knows.
Old 18 November 2003, 10:08 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive got no Reception !!!!!!!!!!

Oh i havent turned my phone on yet !

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2003, 02:09 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread. This may be complete bollox but over the last few days i've noticed a very high Police presence in our area (warrington) this is specifically where Tim Parry lived (he was one of the IRA victims in the bomb attack in Warrington town centre). Anyway as you may be aware, his Dad was a bit of an ambassador in the peace process talks. So over the last few days on our local park (200yds away) from Mr Parry's there have been 6 mini buses (private hire and brand new) 1 Police mini bus and camera on top and a box trailer with police written on it. On top of this at the local sports centre i have seen another mini bus type thing with a camera on it. The local Police Station seems to be a hive of activity and i believe the local motorway services is just the same with a high build up of Police. Oh yeah we have the Peace Centre aswell.

Is this something to do with Bush, is he coming up north do you know?
Old 18 November 2003, 03:29 PM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

Some newspapers and websites were reporting mobile phone signals could be blocked for fear they could remote-control a bomb.
But Scotland Yard has denied reports that police were considering shutting mobile phone masts during protests.
Full Story - Well thats cleared that up. I was watching that interview with him and Sir David Frost over the weekend and they were talking about opinion polls. Bush replied with a comment something along the lines of "I don't take much notice of opinion polls". I thought to myself "He doesn't think much of election results either"