Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed Camera 'terrorists' - BBC1 tonight, 19:30

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2003, 04:41 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Just been reading http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ry/3271595.stm about people blowing up speed cameras. Could be interesting........?
Old 17 November 2003, 04:47 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, I think it's a disgrace. The police are only trying to make the roads safer for everyone.

UB
Old 17 November 2003, 06:03 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep, and the money they make from this will be ploughed back into solving real crimes, Result !
Old 17 November 2003, 06:22 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cool! R they gonna actually show you how to blow up a speed camera?

Maybe someone can save it as an avi file and stick it in the DIY forum.
Old 17 November 2003, 07:22 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not sure how to blow one up but gleaned from this very forum - but cough petrol soaked tyre, around the top apparently does wonders

Richard
Old 17 November 2003, 07:29 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Started
Old 17 November 2003, 07:30 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I just saw SDB

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2003, 07:36 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yea thought that was him
Old 17 November 2003, 07:41 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Some one want to smack that Brunstrom in the Gob.

What a **** !
Old 17 November 2003, 07:51 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Those bikers

Nutters

Andy
Old 17 November 2003, 07:54 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Angry

What fecking hypocrits(sp),Bikers can't speed or cars for that matter but that copper can do 117mph to catch them, what a fecking joke [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 17 November 2003, 07:54 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

That's three scoobs been in camera shot so far
Old 17 November 2003, 07:55 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice balanced reporting then
Old 17 November 2003, 08:02 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a one sided programme, what did I expect brom the BBC (Blairs Broadcasting Company)
Old 17 November 2003, 08:07 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Only caught the second half of this programme.

Did they ask the Police any tricky questions regarding the (S)Cameras... like if they are supposed to be reducing speed, and making roads safer, why are (I think) about 137 miles of Britain's most dangerous roads only fitted with 4 cameras in total, whereas there are roads coming out of London, with that many in a couple of miles.

Or, if cameras are catching people speeding, surely they aren't doing their job for reducing speed?

Nice to see that the Yorkshire coppers have invested in some proper Imprezas for the job...
Old 17 November 2003, 08:54 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Angry

This programme left me seething - not in the slightest bit balanced with that **** Brunstrom spouting his completely false rhetoric as per usual!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Should have had the guy from Safespeed UK on and given him equal time to Brunstrom.

Biggest lie of the programme -

Safety Camera Partnership - "I don't understand why people want to destroy camera outside schools etc "

Funny, I didn't see evidence of any camera's being destroyed outside schools or where they are REALLY needed.

I would whole-heartedly support the use of cameras outside schools but then of course that would actually be using them for their public-advertised purpose instead of their insidious real purpose, revenue generation........
Old 17 November 2003, 09:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't help wonder why they had three classic scoobs, unyet no newer ones, could it be that the newer ones aren't quick enough???
Old 17 November 2003, 09:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If a topic can't be discussed correctly then it's hardly worth starting it.

The programme went off the real issue.

The remark about destroying cameras outside schools as already mentioned was bordering on stupid.

I would imagine 99% of road users would be totally against this.

Let's face it the problem lies with the speed at which people are getting convicted at and in a lot of cases, the whereabouts.

If any one of us were caught doing the speeds the bikers were caught at we would hold our hands up and just put it down to experience. I have been caught once at 133mph, no ban either, never done it since.

I felt angry with myself that I'd been caught but I was speeding and not just braking the speed limit, fair cop.

People now are made to feel lucky if they don't get caught and that is on every single journey!!

Edited to add a missing word.

[Edited by Spoon - 11/17/2003 9:56:49 PM]
Old 17 November 2003, 09:54 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Dutch Scamera destruction

(apologies if SIAL)

Doug
Old 17 November 2003, 10:21 PM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

That guy who went to set fire to that camera and was nicked...looking at 3 years!!! You can rape a granny, or vandalise someones motor and get away with it - touch any of the government's tax generators though and your in deep s**t. Made my blood boil - biased nonsense.
Old 17 November 2003, 11:02 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I dissolved into rant mode at the "cameras destroyed outside schools" b0ll0cks. Take a look outside, how many of those 5000 cameras are sited outside schools , shops etc. NONE. Why aren't they there BECAUSE THEY MAKE MORE MONEY ON DUAL CARRIAGEWAYS.

As for the bikers .. well leave 'em .. it's a darwinian process and the idiots doing 200mph (and bragging about it) won't be around too long.

disgusted...
Old 17 November 2003, 11:13 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Angry

If any one of us were caught doing the speeds the bikers were caught at we would hold our hands up and just put it down to experience. I have been caught once at 133mph, no ban either, never done it since.
That Black Guy on the Gixxer claiming he did 208 was spouting Shyte. His bike wasnt capable of anywhere near that and only the 1200 Kawasakis and the Hayabusas can go anywhere near the 200 mark. There are still faster cars in production, and their owners do use the performance on the road.
They claimed that even though the Speed cameras have been proven statistically to be making no difference to the Road Deaths, Then the shortfall is being made up by maniac bikers. They show some footage of some ********* doing a runner from an unmarked car and playing with his and other lives, and now we are all the same mindset as him. The program was very shallow and was trying to be as sensationalist as possible. I've been watching Police, Camera, Action for years now and the lengths which some Car drivers who were trying to do a runner were no less dramatic.

The program was very one sided IMO.

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 11/17/2003 11:18:46 PM]
Old 18 November 2003, 01:52 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I didn't see the programme but what makes my blood boil when watching Police, Camera, Action is the amount of times the only cars being damaged are the police cars! and of course the commentary telling us about the shocking driving standards as the villain is outrunning the cream of UK's traffic cops!!
And dont even start with that sensationalised American version, how many cops are on duty over there cos there is always about 20 cars following 1 target car and they make no effort to get in front and box them in, *****, are they waiting for them to run out of gas?
Old 18 November 2003, 02:56 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

jaf01uk,

The reason that you often see several police cars in a chase in the US is that they generally have higher numbers of police patrols both in cars and on foot than the UK by some margin (surprise surprise).

Then you have to remember that their road systems and layouts are vastly different to ours. Pedestrians generally are only allowed to cross at designated crossing points, most major/semi major roads are divided up by a central reservation and they are much wider. Hence the police are quite often better off following a car until it runs out of petrol rather than trying to intervene.

However if the suspect starts heading into a residential area or highly congested traffic zone the police will act to disable the vehicle either by boxing it in or ramming it and causing it to crash.

I spend quite a bit of time working in the US and on the whole have found their police to be helpful, sensible and genuinely wanting to uphold the law.

A bit of a contrast to the UK's sorry excuse for a police force I think.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 18 November 2003, 10:40 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Anyone notice the track day footage they decided to edit into the article about 'maniac' bikers? Suited their biased journalistic purposes nicely!
Old 18 November 2003, 12:38 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Talking

I did, the whole program was a lesson in Journalistic Integrity
Old 18 November 2003, 02:11 PM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

What got me was at the start of the programme they said Brunstrom wanted to dramatically increase the numbers caught for speeding, surely they should be trying to reduce speeding in the first place not catch more people?????!!!!!

And later, when the researcher asked him why speed cameras haven't reduced the number of road deaths, he said that they weren't being used effectively and speeding is just one of the many causes of accidents!!!! Tell us something we don't know!!!!

He might claim that the POLICE don't use speed cameras to generate extra revenue - maybe true - but a large proportion of the money raised in fines goes to central government.....which in effect is very much another form of taxation.
Old 19 November 2003, 12:17 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Andrew - I completely agree. Intercutting track shots to illustrate 'biker road madness' is outrageous. I will be complaining direct - kindly do so too.

D
Old 19 November 2003, 12:44 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I caught a show tonight which seems to reflect the priorities the police have in regard to crime. A bloke with no license or insurance was given 3 months jail for his crime, quite rightly so too as I'd have given him twice that. He was also clearly doped up but the police doctor refused to take a blood sample, no idea why, but yet said that he was clearly unfit to be interviewed so they couldn't talk to him for some hours.

His mate, who was in the car, had syringes of speed, a class A drug, in his socks and underwear plus a bag of syringes in the boot. He was given a written caution!!!

Now, I'm not saying that either of these people were good people to have on the streets but the fact that it was the motoring crime that copped the punishment and that the police system wasn't even interested in the possibility that the driver might have been drugged is some indication of what is going wrong. Go 35mph in a 30 in the middle of the night and you are worse than a drug dealer in the eyes of the law.

Is it any wonder that some normal and sensible members of society feel they must take direct action? It is the only outlet they have for their frustrations. The question we must ask is how long will it be before people start to consider direct action against the police? That is where the current decline in law and order is leading us and it is a situation that needs resolved very quickly indeed.