Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 04:21 PM
Misha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, guys. I made a fobidden turn onto the street and stopped right away. After a second a police van stopped near me and asked me to step out of the car. I was searching for the keys from the appartment at that moment to give them to my gf. I said to the police guys "just a second", cause my gf needed to go to the bathroom very urgent. After 5 seconds I stepped out of the car and explained to the policemen that i entered the street cause of a little emergency. They asked "does this emergency give you the right to turn here?" I said "no, i am sorry but she desperately needed to go". One of the 5 policemen said "we will issue you a ticket of 60 pounds fine". I said 'ok, do it' Hope you are not tired of reading through this stuff, getting to the point. So all of them stepped out of the van and surrounded me, soon 2 of them left on their business. I don't know and still don't understand what made them so angry (may be my smile?!) they started shouting at me, swearing at me and my girlfriend (who just came down from the appartments) I just couldn't do anything. They were threatining me and my gf. Saying that it is all cause of my attitude, i behave so impolite. That i interrupt them-> i was answering their questions and that's all, for f**k sake. My gf was a witness of all that, she tried to say to the policeman smth like "why are you swearing/so rude?" The answer to that was "shut up, i can do anything i want, if you don't like it go back to your country" At that moment i wished he wasn't wearing a uniform. The other policeman said "let's give these rich kids a lesson" I just don't understand why?! What did my gf do, to get that attitude from the policemen? I thought that every person in this country has the same rights and there is one law for each one. Anyone knows an advocate who is good and can do something with that? I will be summoned to court in 6 months. Regards.
Old 16 November 2003, 04:26 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

if you don't like it go back to your country
sounds a bit racist....
Old 16 November 2003, 04:27 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Police aren't allowed to swear or insult members of the public (esp with those 'go back to your country bollo**s' type statements)! Bascially, the second they swear at you, you've got them by the short and curlies. So go to their station and report them. You have a witness (your gf).

Be very polite at ALL times, don't lose your temper and pursue your case. You probably won't get out of the fine (you did break the law of course!) but that's not the issue here. The issue is the verbal abuse that you received.

Good luck.
Old 16 November 2003, 04:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A mate of mine has been suspended from work (he is a prison warder who teachs PT) for telling a Paedophile who had wandered into his less to F off before he got ripped limb from limb by the meatheads, he did, complained and now my mate faces loosing his job, whats the world coming to ?
Old 16 November 2003, 04:45 PM
doorman
Scooby Regular

this is about right them b*rstards do it all the time. to complane u need there poilce number really and get down the nick with it.iv help old bill out loads of times and don't get any thanks for it.it's no wonder folk have no respeced for them.
Old 16 November 2003, 04:48 PM
what?!
Scooby Regular

Bit of poetic licence going on there I think.
Old 16 November 2003, 04:53 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

make sure you speak to the man in charge at the station too,but dont stop there,go to your local paper and give them the story,theres a big thing going on at the moment about rascism in the police force,they're supposed to be the good guys,but these tossers are just letting us all down,take it all the way and get the ******* sorted!!!

BM

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2003, 05:31 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Typical............

And they wonder why they get no respect.......
Ive heard all the bollocks this is going to cause, its the bad apples that spoil it for the rest,kinda comments. But im yet to meet a copper thats even half decent.

Want respect earn it.

Old 16 November 2003, 11:52 PM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

Had a very similar incident recently, it was to do with slightly excessive speed which I acknowledged was my error. The copper pulled me over and gave me a load of abuse, when I had honestly not provoked him in any way (other than some poor driving which I admit to).

I told him that his language was not what I expected of a police officer, to which he repeated his offensive remarks in a very similar way to the above, ie "I can speak to you any way I like, you're still a tw*t". Honest to God, that's really what he said.

Luckily for me, it was a police van which I knew would not have been able to accurately record my speed, so when he started demanding to know where I was going, why I was driving like that etc etc, I just refused to answer. I wasn't attempting to be clever, I just didn't feel like trying to have a balanced and reasonable discussion with someone who clearly didn't want to talk to me in the same way.

In the end he just told me to go on my way.

Sad thing is, if he had treated me with some courtesy I would have listened to his warning and probably accepted it. As it was though, my views towards the police have been severely damaged by this incident.

I know they sometimes have a hard job, and I don't want to tar all police officers with the same brush. However, they ought to realise that if they are trying to get a message across, people will never react positively to poor treatment.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:02 AM
Misha
Scooby Regular

2 Missile Man: Probably it is easier for you, cause you are British and british police treat british people more nicer. I was told that if my girlfriend won't bring some proof of where I live within 5 minutes they will take me to the Paddington Police station handcuffed. So she ran back to the appartments to take the documents and when she came back she tried to give the folder with the documetns to me, but policemen snatched out the folder from her hands telling me "to keep my hands off". Just really pisses me and my gf off. So any well known/good/professional human rights lawyer? Cheers
Old 17 November 2003, 12:06 AM
Misha
Scooby Regular

One little question: Anyone knows how can I prove that the policemen were swearing and rude? Next time i will buy myself a cell with a dictophone.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:13 AM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

Sounds like very harsh treatment to me.

As for proving what was said, that's going to be difficult, your word against theirs etc etc, and I guess there were no independent witnesses?

You might want to have a look at http://www.pepipoo.com

It's more related to speeding but I think you'll find some useful legal info.

Good luck on this.
Old 17 November 2003, 08:31 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I'm confused, why are you going to court ?
Old 17 November 2003, 12:43 PM
Misha
Scooby Regular

They did not tell me, i guess cause of the turn into a one way street.
Old 17 November 2003, 01:57 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Just an observation, but had you not driven deliberatly the wrong way down a one way street there would be no issue!

Dave
Old 17 November 2003, 02:54 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

I'd check Misha, as contravening a no entry sign is a non endorseable offence which only carries a small fine.
I guess if he had no tickets on him he would report you ?
If he was reporting you for an offence though he must have told you they were doing this and what for ?

Were you given a producer ?

I'd contact the officer and find out whats going on if I were you...

Paul
Old 17 November 2003, 02:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

here you go mate, why not ring the police station and be VERY polite and ask to speak to the officer who has reported you, even if he rings u back or what ever, record the conversation, chances are hes gonna be rude again and you have proof to report him
Old 17 November 2003, 02:59 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

You need to tell the officer that you are going to record the conversation first, though. Otherwise, it's called entrapment.
Old 17 November 2003, 03:10 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Contravening a No Entry is 3 points & £60 if dealt with by Fixed Penalty. Foreign (non-resident) Nationals always run the risk of being arrested and put straight before the courts as it is not viable to serve a summons.

Lets hope the thread stays in context and doesn't turn in to an 'All Coppers Are Racist' thread. Usually there is no smoke without fire and anybody who tells you different have never served as a Police Officer in Britain.

TONY
Old 17 November 2003, 03:12 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thats on a motorway Tony, unless things have changed lately ....
Old 17 November 2003, 03:19 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Red face

OK so why didnt the BBC get done for it on that program the other week???
Old 17 November 2003, 03:22 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

medders

Who knows - not serving now

TONY
Old 17 November 2003, 03:50 PM
yoza
BANNED

Simply make a complaint.

Dont go in all guns blazing, just tell it the way it was. Explain that you were not expecting to be spoken to in this manner.

The desk officer in your local station should give you a form or two to fill out, and simply fill them out and post them.

I think one of the forms wings its way to the Police complaints dept, dont expect a speedy resolve to this matter, it takes ages.

Later Yoza
Old 17 November 2003, 04:02 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

where did it happen exactly?
Old 17 November 2003, 04:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cool

if you don't like it go back to your country"
Bad advice, your g/f would have surely wet herself by then.
Old 17 November 2003, 04:28 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Re: recording a telephone call:
"You need to tell the officer that you are going to record the conversation first, though. Otherwise, it's called entrapment. "
Maybe, but...
Even if you don't plan to bring any case against the officer, the local papers would just love to have such a recording if the officer was threatening / abusive / racist towards you.
After that, the case against you would almost certainly be dropped and the officer would get his knuckles rapped.

Old 17 November 2003, 04:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Misha what nationality are you then?
Old 17 November 2003, 04:38 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone did this a year ago, I think, very successfully. They got a lovely grovelling apology from the guy's superior.

If he gave you any sort of ticket, it should have his ID number on it (forgot the technical term). Suggest you go to the station, or write to them, asking why you were spoken to in that manner by that identified officer and his colleagues. There is the racism aspect, but there is also general public relations - they should not be that rude to anyone.

Given the revelations on the BBC about racism in the police, they won't be happy about this being made public. But the point is not the racism, it's the rudeness in general that is not acceptable.

Good luck.
Old 17 November 2003, 05:07 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

BTW, shouldn't you have been given a receipt by someone, for the documents they took????
Old 17 November 2003, 05:40 PM
Misha
Scooby Regular

2 Wurzel: Kazak. From a former USSR republic, Kazakstan.
2 Brendan Hughes: They returned the folder with all the documents back. Just after they searched it and took out some bills with my details, my passport and my insurance.
2 All: Thanks guys, i will report this to the police station. Cheers