Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help- Insurance trying to shaft me

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 03:56 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you might remember that i had a small "incident" recently where i went into the back of someone in traffic.

Well i am insured through Direct Line - more on those cvnts later

At the time of taking out the policy i declared the modifications, coilovers, induction kit and exhaust, the car also had tinted windows which i genuinely forgot to tell them about.

After the accident an assessor went to see the car and spotted the windows (the passenger rear was not tinted after being replaced due to a seperate incident when the car was broken into the week earlier)
On the phoone he said he couldn't authorise the repair due to the windoews issue.

I in turn contacted the insurers and explained that by paying an extra premium to declare the modifications it wasn't like i was trying to deceive them, sure enough the next day the repair is ok'd.

I got the car back a couple of weeks ago and thought all was fine then yesterday i get a letter from DL saying that due to the windows being tinted my insurance was NEVER valid and therefore they wil be looking to recoup all costs relating to the claim- ie the repair to mine and the other car.
So now I am without insurance meaning i cant drive the car after paying the premium in full and the excess to the repairers- ie pretty screwed.

They state that they wont insure any car with tinted windows - Now this is where the help comes in does anyone know someone, or are themselves insured through direct line and has declared the tinted windows?

If so could you drop me a PM or e mail as my mate who's a solicitor will be dealing with this for me and we are trying to get a case together..

I can see this getting a bit messy and worst case i could have to fork out a lot of cash to get this sorted, gut feeling is that they have little chance of claiming it all back retrospectively but things should start panning out over the next week.

Thanks for reading

foz
Old 16 November 2003, 04:18 PM
doorman
Scooby Regular

good luck with that one mate all the best stu.******* when there ready.
Old 16 November 2003, 05:26 PM
wannbe scooby
Scooby Newbie

Just depends on what percentage your tints were, over a certain % not quite sure what, at the front, they are illegal and your vehicle would never pass a MoT test.
Old 16 November 2003, 05:50 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

OMG !!!

Do you really need to tell the insurance company !!!
Ive had my windows tinted on my car for the last 3 yrs and never told my insurance company....

I cant belive this would make a difference ?
I mean if i have a phone kit fitted in the car, would this make a difference in premium ??? I suppose the car is more desirable to theifs ??
Where does it stop ??

Old 16 November 2003, 05:53 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

just found out that direct line do not charge a premium for tints- so it looks like they are at it!

as for the %age- i have been assured they are legal, they were on the car when i bought it- 30% IIRC?!?!
Old 16 November 2003, 06:16 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's a sh1tty situation to be in, but to be blunt, unless you declare *EVERY* modification they have you over a barrel..

I've mentioned before that you should avoid discount insurance cover as you get what you pay for, and if they can wiggle out of paying they will..

I hope you get it sorted..
Old 16 November 2003, 08:23 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

hey mate,
Try putting a post up in Scottish as I believe Scooby Dooby Blue had a very similar thing happen with his UK300

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2003, 12:33 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Well just throw a few more hoes on the street then to recoup your money, obviously you are a pimp lol

or use the ombudsman for help and advice if you get nowhere with direct line (who are ******* btw) get complaining straight away or you get nowhere, a friend had murder with them and he was a third party.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
Old 17 November 2003, 12:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

are your tint levels legal?
Old 17 November 2003, 12:19 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

as far as i am aware yes- i might go and take them off just to be sure
Old 17 November 2003, 12:21 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

i had an accident with some dozzy blonde my car had tints the assessor said nothing i hadnt even told them

they paid out no probs

try the insurance ombudsman
Old 17 November 2003, 01:24 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

How about then seeing that you have insured ur car through them, if your car insurance is not valid then ask for your premium back IN FULL. name 1 legal reason they can give u for keeping it.

thats the only other thing I can thik of for ya mate.

unless u just dont stump up for the repairs, let them take u to court for it and offer to pay them abck £10 a month being a large company they will proabably accept this
Old 17 November 2003, 01:41 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Nightmare mate - happened to me a few years back

Trouble is every time they ask "Have you ever had insurance declined, refused, cancelled or special terms imposed" you have to answer yes. ***** up your car, home, life insurance.

Do not accept refund of premium, even if that means you would be evens or close to it.
Old 17 November 2003, 01:52 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Is this an imported Subaru? Or did you have the tints added afterards?

My WRX Sti just had tinted windows so it's a "standard".

Steve.
Old 17 November 2003, 04:15 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

Tints were added after- its actually a honda
Old 17 November 2003, 05:38 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hmmnn DL eh!!!

Had a recent similar experience with them but not through a repair authorisation. In brief:

My wife was learning to drive, decided to buy herself a car. As i was/am insured with DL for my Scoob I asked them for a quote & best way to insure for a learner driver. DL advised to insure in my name & include my wife as a named driver with a provisional licence (not for scoob only for her own car).

Anyway, when she passed her test I contacted them expecting a rebate on the policy now she had a full licence. The guy i spoke to said there was a mistake & that they did not insure drivers that had not held a full licence for at least a year on this vehicle (Ford Puma 1.7). They said that they would refund me £7!!!! and remove my wife from the policy. I aksed if they were trying to say that my wife had been driving the car with me accompanying her fro 10 months effectively without insurance & the guy said yes, & if she had had an accident they most likely would not have paid out - WTF!!!!

I went off on one & demanded a refund of the entire years premium & asked to speak to a supervisor. The guy said to give him a couple of minutes & he would speak to his supervisor first. He the ncame back on the phone apologising t osay that they had changed the cover on this vehicle since i took the insurance out & if I came to them now they would decline to quote but as I was already covered this would be okay & wife could stay on policy.

Any way stuff them - wife now insured under own name with me as named driver with Diamond (the girlie insurer) & if I can get a cheaper quote at me renewal, my scoob will be insured by someone else aswell!!!

Hope you get this sorted out M8

Den
Old 18 November 2003, 09:26 AM
foz01
Scooby Regular

I have started things moving on this through my lawyer and an insurance broker friend of the family.
I am getting all the evidence together at the moment, the brokers rection was "i cant beleive they are still trying to get away with that ****"

it seems that by cancelling my policy DL might be acting illegally.

DL have lied regarding the windows and i have proof of other peoples policys where the windows are declared and there was no premeium increase as a result.

I will get the solicitor to write a letter, cc'ing it to watchdog, lodging an official complaint stating the facts and also threating to contact the omdbusman if the matter is not resolved to my satisfaction.

The worst thing i can supposedly do is claim the premium back as you then have to declare a cancelled policy which screws you for years..

feeling a bit better about the whole thing but i think the civic will be sold by the weekend, i have a good price form the local honda dealer so they can have it.

This has put me off cars tbh and i will just get a cheapie to run about in the mean time

foz

Old 18 November 2003, 09:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my story about Privilege trying it on.

Good luck

Brendan