Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speed angel etc - any false alarms ????

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 09:48 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having never used or had the chance to see one off these gps based speed trap , etc detection devices in use, would like to know if they, in similar fashion to radar detectors give off the odd false warning / alert ?? also while I do realise that the laser attatchment off this item is off limited use ( was advise last week by an safety camera van operator ) that the spread off stray scatter from some off the latest digital cameras up here is, wait for it ??!! " 12 inches " - yep thats it !!!! would like to hear from anyone who has received advanced warning off laser signals from this add on - anyone comment on this for me ???? was also advised that these new digital van mounted cameras have a jammer warning light within its display for the likes off the lrc100 deffice, etc. was advised by him that should this jammer warning light go off he would infact take down the number off the car by video and folow up later ??!!

" cat and mouse " all over again - eh ???

guess that there may be few different variations off these digital van based cameras in use throut the uk, all offering slightly differnt performance, as far as the stray scatter / jammer warning facilties etc ?? just a thing to possibly look out for though ???

lastly, while on the subject ??!! scottish guys - anyone know ?? will any police forces ( again scottish based ) still be using hand held radar ( non digital- old style ) any more ?? or will these things now be put to the back off the stores cupboard ??!!

thats it, a few more questions there !! anyone care to comment on what is turning out to be one off the most talked about road related subjects these days !!!

cheers,
john...
Old 16 November 2003, 08:55 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No false warnings as such, but my route to work has a couple of blackspots in the Road Angel database. Obviously, this is annoying on a day-to-day basis, but the solution is simple, you can just delete it from yous database.

Road Angel does know which direction you are travelling in, so it will not falsely alert you to cameras on the opposite carriageway etc. unless they are the type that can be rotated.

The only thing that confuses it slightly, is if you go over/under a bridge and there is a camera on the road underneath/above. For example, if you are travelling clockwise on the M25 over the A41 (Kings Langley) flyover, RA will warn you of a fixed speed camera that is actually on the road beneath. Clearly it does not use the altitude part of the GPS system

Overall, I am very please with my RA!

[Edited by dr_ming - 11/16/2003 8:56:00 PM]