Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

It just gets worse... Could this mean the end of MP3 players?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2003, 03:42 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is complete bollocks!!!!

What do you guyes think

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3256945.stm
Old 12 November 2003, 03:46 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

I think the pirates will simply write some neat software to get round it.
Old 12 November 2003, 03:50 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

you have to laugh.. they sell you the Technology then tell you you can't use it. don't sony Make music/DVD burners/CD burners/Blank media/MP3 players

Stupid just stupid
Old 12 November 2003, 03:52 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Some have pointed out that fast-forwarding through the ads at the start of a DVD now contravenes the law.

WTF?
Old 12 November 2003, 03:52 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ooo arrrrr !!!! eurocrats again sticking it to the public once again, i wish i'd never heard of the EEC !!
Old 12 November 2003, 03:57 PM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Another "useful" Euro law then ?

Big Daz
Old 12 November 2003, 04:03 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

**** 'em.
Old 12 November 2003, 04:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I cant understand how if we can copy a CD with music we like for less than a quid then why should we pay £15 for a CD knowing full well that £14 of it is profit, **** them as said above, if people stopped buying the stuff for a while they would have no choice int matter other than reducing the prices to a sensible level
Old 12 November 2003, 04:22 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

WTF? Legal grey area?!

As far as I am concerned, if I have bought a CD, I have every right to play it on any damned player I like, including my PC. And, as I've paid one load of royalties and will only be listening to the music in one format at a time, I will continue to record music to MP3 and MiniDisc. I will also continue to make back-up copies of my CDs to carry in the car, as I am sick of the originals getting damaged.

I can see why they have a problem with people downloading music from the 'net, but to be honest, if they weren't such robbing rip-off merchants maybe more people would buy music.
Old 12 November 2003, 04:25 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Some have pointed out that fast-forwarding through the ads at the start of a DVD now contravenes the law
One of the best reasons there is for copying dvd's,it allows you to remove all this rubbish at the start,straight into the film.

They dont help themselves do they..
Old 12 November 2003, 04:27 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i've got enough music to keep me happy for a while.

i would gladly pay £5 for a music cd, but £14.99 or whatever they are now???? they can **** off.
and £24 odd for a disney dvd, thay my son will frisbee across the room?? ermmm no way jose.

like the way they put a graphic of kazaa on the bbc newstory....
that should boost the old pirate downloads somewhat as well... LMFAO

BB
Old 12 November 2003, 04:27 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

The reason I don't mind downloading songs is this. How many of us have bought an album on the strength of 1 or 2 released songs, only to find out that the other 12 tracks on the albume are sh*te ?!? I must of spent hundreds if not thousands on songs that aren't any good, and who does this rip off ? ME !

Now, I tend to download albums and if they're any good - I still buy them ! If they're shat, then I don't. Seems fair enough !!!

So b*ll*cks to this copyright crap, for me it's an effective way of reviewing the albums.

Matt
Old 12 November 2003, 04:30 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

But its like alot of laws its just not enforceable is it!

I mean buggery is illegal between husband and wife but has anyone ever been convicted of it???????

Gary

Old 12 November 2003, 04:51 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Your MP3 player will be fine because of the iTunes music store and Napster 2.

You'll soon be able to be pulled over for "playing music of a slightly lesser quality than CD" or "Changing album faster than you can with a CD"
Old 12 November 2003, 04:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Muffleman...me too.

I recently bought the new Aqualung album,after downloading a few song off Kazaa-Lite.I'd never have bought it otherwise.
Old 12 November 2003, 05:06 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I mean buggery is illegal between husband and wife but has anyone ever been convicted of it???????
That got removed from the statute books in the 1980/90s!

Remember Natalie Imbruglia's second albulm that came out with copy protection... they all got taken back becuase they wouldn't play in computers and some multichangers!

They released the albulm without the protection and it went into the charts!
Old 12 November 2003, 05:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Any copy protection method will be hacked, hackers love stuff like this, gives them a challenge!

Why do people rip off music? because it costs too much, simple. Apple's iTunes Music Store is the way things should be going, 99 cents per track, you mix and match, or buy the whole album.

I'm not some massive pirate but I will admit to having around 40 odd tracks I have downloaded, mainly as I don't want the whole album, or it's a track I've not been able to find anywhere.
Old 12 November 2003, 05:48 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i agree ive rarely heard a good album all the way through, its only the ones that are release as singles because they are good, generally 5 are good and the other five are mediocre. Id pay £5 as thats what theyre worth, everyone is still profitting but the £10 markup the shops profit on they can go shove it i would however be more inclined to buy cds if the artists themselves actually took the largest cut...
Old 12 November 2003, 07:03 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Angry

I cant understand how if we can copy a CD with music we like for less than a quid then why should we pay £15 for a CD knowing full well that £14 of it is profit, **** them as said above,
So who will pay for the album to be recorded? the company to find the artists? come on eh!

You could quite happily say, why should I pay £700 for adobe photoshop, when the cd it comes on is only a quid. Or why should I pay 30k for a subaru, when the parts only cost x amount to make.

Old 12 November 2003, 07:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

InvisibleMan: that's exactly why the record companies are so paranoid. It used to be the case that the only way for music to be distributed to everyone was to have a factory making CDs, a network of shops to sell them, and lots of advertising to let people know what was out there. All these retail and marketing overheads are expensive, which is one reason why CDs are so expensive. And, of course, the artists themselves can't get their music heard above the din without the help of a big label, so they end up over a barrel.

With the rise of the Internet, that's all changed. People can distribute music themselves. Record companies are becoming obsolete, and they're terrified. Pressurising governments to protect their outdated business model is all they can do to avoid the market deciding that they're no longer needed. It's going to be a bloody battle, that's for sure, but no business lasts forever. Ask any blacksmith, or chimney sweep, or farrier...
Old 12 November 2003, 07:20 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Any many (mainly smaller) artists will be able to sell their music direct to you without having to worry about getting 'record contract's. More music exposure can only be a good thing.

IMO, if record companies wanna survive, then they have to embrace the technology and start selling mp3's online etc.
Old 12 November 2003, 08:02 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

So, record companies are deliberately putting errors on CDs to prevent them being played on PCs.

At the same time, microsoft are pushing the PC as the 'home entertainment centre'.

Something of a conflict!

Personally, I would return any CD that will not play in my PC as faulty, i.e. unfit for purpose. Perhaps we could bring a class action.
Old 12 November 2003, 08:49 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

if the cd wont play on your computer you would just use the line inputs on your soundcard to get it onboard
Old 12 November 2003, 08:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Exactly. Copy-protected CDs will still flood the net as MP3s, and even if the audio quality is slightly degraded by having been through an analogue stage, 99% of people won't care.

The choice then is between downloading music illegally and burning it to CD, or paying the usual high prices for a crippled and less useful product. Hmm....
Old 12 November 2003, 09:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
If it wasn't for downloading MP3's off the net I wouldn't have heard of some bands/singers, or even had a chance to sample their music.

In fact I have a number of tracks from some artists that you can't even get in this country!!! (Live and Pauline Taylor are some that spring to mind). I actually tried to buy the Pauline Taylor albumn and couldn't get it without importing it from the US.
Old 12 November 2003, 09:09 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

try buying a travelling wilburys cd
Old 12 November 2003, 09:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

hang on i'm having a flash back..............

"home tapings killing music" thats it thats the tag line they used in the 80,s

b l o x i used to buy an album on tape aprox once a fortnight, at £7.99 it wasnt bad value... occasionally i got a duff one but at that price it wasnt to bad...

then enter the cd "superior quality / lasts forever /plays when scratched to buggery.......cost £15.00 and instead of an average 90 mins as per tape.. you get 75..... or roughly 30 mins of some fab group with one hit single!!!!!!

I stopped buying cd,s and shopped around for deals at £9.99

who killed music..... the cynical fat cats at the record companys...

and they now ask for help from the goverment to bail out there failings....

the daft part is they have the answers themselves...

i remember the last monopolys invsetigation into cd pricing...the conclusion was they are over priced, but if punters will pay the asking price... the record companys arnt doing anything wrong!!

It makes me laugh they bitch about napster and kazaa.. but how else are you to get hold of deleted or old tracks....

ohhh thats right you write to mr sony/ emi and say i want this old deleted album repressed and reissued ,,,, just one copy please.

there reply .......... well you can guess....

hit em where it hurts

Mart
Old 13 November 2003, 06:01 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

Far be it from me to defend music producers, but for accuracy, have any of you pirates seen the price of CD's recently? anything vaguely new is going out on Amazon for on average £8.99. Perhaps they are listening after all?
Old 13 November 2003, 06:04 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Thats still £3 too much IMO

Quick Reply: It just gets worse... Could this mean the end of MP3 players?