Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

refunds 'n' stuff....where do I stand?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2003, 01:01 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Right, bought a drive for my PC (just over a week ago) and all was going well but now it is not working. struggling to read disks, refusing to burn them, causing critical errors, power conversion errors and despite all my actions I have had no joy. So today I took it back to the shop but due to it working in the first instance I no longer have the reciept.
I was told there was nothing they could do. They sugggested that I contact the manufacturer however there are no UK details for them.
It was bought from "the computer shop" c/o Tiny computers.
I have Tiny's customer service no. but want to know where I stand before calling them.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:05 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Moral of the story- keep receipts and don't buy anything from Tiny/Time- must be the worst people to get stuff from- even worse than PC world and that takes some doing.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:05 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

i heard somewhere that if u paid by card of any kind u dont actuallyneed the receipt as they will have details of the transation on file.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If its faulty you dont need a receipt to get it fixed,or preferebly,get an exchange.
Take it back and tell them.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:16 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

paid by cash
Old 12 November 2003, 01:16 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

If you paid on credit card check back in your statment. I've used a bank statment before as proof of purchase.

Darren
Old 12 November 2003, 01:19 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "If its faulty you dont need a receipt to get it fixed,or preferebly,get an exchange"

You do however need proof of purchase. That could be packaging, a bar code, some places will even use discretion and a bag or similar will suffice. However we are talking about Tiny/Time-I don't hold out much chance unless you are prepared to fight.

Trending Topics

Old 12 November 2003, 01:26 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

As far as the warranty goes, I believe that the onus is on them to prove that the item is NOT under warranty (which obviously they cannot do). The hard part would be proving that you bought it from them, as opposed to any other shop. It must be possible to prove it if you can be bothered as they presumably must have some kind of stock control whereby they can trace the item from its serial number.
Regarding the fact that the item worked initially, see below which is from Sale & Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 and applies to goods purchased after 31st March 2003.
"The new provisions contain many interesting features. Whilst they cover only defects which existed at the time of purchase, they include the presumption that any defects becoming apparent within six months were present at the time of purchase, so for the first six months the 'burden of proof' that the goods were not defective rests with the seller."

I hope this helps.
Steve

PS I am not a lawyer so dont quote me!

Old 12 November 2003, 01:31 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

"some guy on scoobynet told me etc etc"
Old 12 November 2003, 02:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the proof of purchase is your biggest problem, prove this and your home and dry. Try ringing trading standards, they will tell you exactly where you stand legally.
Old 12 November 2003, 03:14 PM
scooby adz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

quote them the sale of goods act,m8 and make sure u mention AS AMMENDED have a copy of it on pc at work will post here later
AND DON'T BUY A PC FROM TINY AGAIN COS THERE SH!TE
Old 12 November 2003, 03:16 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

twas me who posted the above, bloody kids not logging off again.
Old 12 November 2003, 03:27 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

If you get no joy stanbd outside on a busy Saturday before christmas with a sandwich board emblazoned with "THIS SHOP SUCKS AND SO DOES ITS STAFF AND MANAGERS"

That might get them to take notice of you - either that or torch it during the night
Old 12 November 2003, 03:36 PM
DVS
Scooby Regular

Angry

What sort of receipt was it? Invoice or till? It should have had the serial number on the receipt which you can match to your base unit... They must have a record of selling you the PC... quote them time and place and insist they check their records.

Scream and shout and stamp your feet until they give in. Accuse the manager of calling you a liar at the top of your voice in the middle of the store. Keep going until the bu99ers give in!
Old 12 November 2003, 03:45 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

You sure it's hardware, not software to blame?
Old 12 November 2003, 03:59 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Dazza, that would be great thanks !
96 good idea until you mentioned the burning of it.....may not help my job prospects (not that we have many now anyway)

Thanks for the help folks. Have contacted BTC directly (makers of the drive). Was on hold on the Tiny/Time CS line for close on an hour !![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] just aswell the ******* didnt answer !
Old 12 November 2003, 04:04 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

re software,
I have tried Nero and Record Now and both show fault.
Old 12 November 2003, 04:23 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

What IDE channel is it on? My Plextor was like this till I put it on primary rather than slave. Some drives can be fussy.
Old 12 November 2003, 05:08 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

It is on the "master" IDE as it was a 1 in 1 out job.

the wife has just come in and done her "is this what you are looking for" line. It would appear she had "tidied" the reciept away. So getting it changed if it is faulty has become a much less stressful process

Got a feeling I might be making my way to the Computer related forum
Old 15 November 2003, 12:02 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PG, nearly forgot m8,
• SALE OF GOODS
Together with the law applying to services, these are the only laws that every consumer should really know by heart.
While laws concerning sale of goods date back 100 years, the only phrase you need to memorise is 'The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)'. The 'as amended' is important because it refers to two laws in the 1990s which extended the basic 1979 Act: the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale of Goods (Amendment) Act 1995. Also, using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.
The Sale of Goods Acts lay down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet. The goods must be:
• of satisfactory quality
• as described
• fit for purpose
'Satisfactory quality' covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems and it also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it does not give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out.
'As described' refers to any advertisement or verbal description made by the trader.
'Fit for purpose' covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.
" The Act covers second-hand items and sales. "
If something you buy from a trader does not meet any of these conditions, you are entitled to your money back. You are not entitled to any repair, replacement or credit note, only your money back.
So if you want to accept a repair, and many people do, make sure you put in writing that you are reserving your right to 'reject' the item if the repair is not satisfactory. You are only entitled to your money back from the trader you bought it from, not from the manufacturer, wholesaler or importer. And it is up to them to collect the faulty item, although most times it is easier to return it yourself.
The Act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods are not 'as described'.
All this is pretty straightforward and easy to remember, although if there is a dispute, the customer has to prove their case, not the trader.
The Acts give the consumer six years from the time they buy something to make a claim. But these rights do not extend to getting an immediate refund for all that time. You only have a relatively short period to get a full refund. After this time, you will be deemed to have 'accepted' the item. If it then turns out to faulty, you will have to claim compensation - see Enforcing the Law.