Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Safety cameras? - my ar5e!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 09:21 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I have just spent the weekend touring round Scotland and have seen some of the most cynical "safety" (sic) camera positioning that I've yet found in the UK. For instance - the A9 north of Perth - 60mph limit - very long straight with no houses, side roads, pavement or anything anywhere near it for that matter - speed camera right in the middle of the straight - just where overtaking would be best - still maybe it's an accident black spot eh? (NOT).

Anyway on the way back my wife was driving down the A74 when I spotted a "safety" camera van on the bridge. I pointed at it as she hadn't seen it. She of course panicked a little even though she wasn't going that fast (honest) and hit the brakes, the BMW (what else) behind us came within inches of stoving into the back of us due to being far too close to us. In a nutshell we were nearly involved in a pile up due (admittedly indirectly) to the camera van's presence.

The irony of the words "Safety Camera Van" marked clearly on the side of it as we passed under the bridge was not lost on me.

After the weekend I have decided that there is little joy left in driving anywhere in the UK. To find much of Scotland blighted with cameras like much of the rest of the UK was a disappointment, but easy money is easy money I guess.

Instructions on how to set fire to the things wouldn't go amiss - meant tongue in cheek of course.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:38 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Some products you might want to try, as recommended by...no, sorry, can't bring myself to say it!!

NOT that i'd condone such behaviour, obviously.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:43 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Telboy.

BTW who is Mycroft? - just kidding, we don't need to go there again do we?

tiggers.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:58 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i must admit theres some belters on the A9 hidden just behind those brown tourist trail sign posts, TBH, its the camera cars that are most effective, i got done by one a few years ago, there a joke really, they will not pull you as it ruins there cloaking device, so off you go merrily speeding on with a chunk off your licence missing, i wonder what would happen if you sped on & had an accident 2 miles further down the road & someone really got hurt??
Old 11 November 2003, 10:00 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

edited cus it was a double post

[Edited by Andy McCord - 11/11/2003 10:01:17 AM]
Old 11 November 2003, 10:03 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

over 1 million people done last year - set to rise this year.

Wait for the revolutions lads
Old 11 November 2003, 10:05 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm with you all the way on this tiggers

Trending Topics

Old 11 November 2003, 10:10 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

They try to say A9 is a dangerous road but its the stupid drivers that are dangerous not the road
Old 11 November 2003, 10:14 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

ugI am with Tiggers on this (god did I just say that ) unfortunately a lot of the good scottish roads are being ruined by these cameras and as has been noted most are hidden. I took a tour of the north this summer and I found some spanking roads that were camera free . Once you get past Inverness it's pretty clear and once you get past the ones mentioned around Perth its clear aswell.
Pugeotru, I agree the road is not dangerous it's the F'ing lorry/tractor/caravan people that make it dangerous, due to the nature of this road it is impossible to widen it everywhere so they have made passing places unfortunately these idiots mentioned above don't use them and insist on holding up the rest of the traffic [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] forcing people to carry out high speed and sometimes dangerous overtaking moves, I witnessed some scary stuff this summer on that road, including an Audi A4t doing an eight car overtake that I wouldn't have tried in the STi8.

John.

[Edited by New To Scoob - 11/11/2003 10:19:39 AM]
Old 11 November 2003, 10:19 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

yeah, cross over to the black isle & heaven, A835 to ullapool & beyond, only spoiled by a lack off proper petrol stations
Old 11 November 2003, 10:35 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

IF it were legal to destroy spped cameras I would be in favour of a bean tin full of thermite powder (what they used to use to weld railway tracks together).

Recipe:

Mix aluminium powder with some iron III oxide (rust). You will need at least a bean can full.

Then, simply place on top of the scam-era and ignite with a piece of magnesium ribbon and retire to a safe distance. Watch and enjoy the globules of molten iron melting through the box and destroying the rape-tax device!

But unfortunately it isn't legal so please disregard this post....

Old 11 November 2003, 12:54 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Andy, yup cr@p fuel up that way so remember your OB, I took the road from Dornock <sp?> to Ullapool (past the falls of shin) in the summer ace. Also the road on the South side of Loch Ness is better than the north road, the A926/925 IFIRC. The A84/85 to Oban is really nice but watch out for traffic cars.

John.
Old 11 November 2003, 01:03 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Angle grinder from uni rents or similar pay cash give false name and address bobs your uncle
Old 11 November 2003, 01:15 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Decent 4x4 and a tow rope should do it - just bend it over enough (not that I'm condoning such antics)