Any opinions of the Canon EOS5?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2003, 07:53 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yep, its another photography thread

I am looking at second hand ones (Because I can’t afford a new EOS3) . I’ve seen a few around from £180-£300 (body only) in camera shops. Some are going on ebay for about £100 inc grip etc.

The camera provides all the basic requirments I have set my self, 1/8000 shutter, 5 frames per second, looks wicked with a VG10 grip and large lenses ,

Also what lens do you think will get me started? 28-105 USM zoom? I plan to get a telephoto lens (for motorsport) when I am in that states in April, cause its cheaper

Look forward to the replies

Thanks
Darren
Old 10 November 2003, 08:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 is a very decent lens. I bought one s/h with my D30, and although I soon traded it for a 28-135IS (for the benefit of the stabiliser), the 28-105 is actually sharper. I note that several EOS 5's on eBay are actually being sold with this lens, so you might be able to bag a bargain if this is the lens you wanted anyway.

Here is an auction for the 28-105 which also explains the difference between the various different versions - make sure you don't get the duff one.

Which telephoto did you have in mind? I can strongly recommend the 100-400L IS
Old 10 November 2003, 08:59 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Andy, probably worth mentioning that the image stabilizer lens will probably give much sharper hand-held pictures in low light conditions.
Old 10 November 2003, 09:35 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not 100% sure which 'normal' lens i'm going to go for yet, but its most likely to be either a 28-105 USM lens or a cheaper 28-90 USM lens.

I don't see the point of spending the money on a non USM lens. They are on about 30/40 quid more on the above lenses.

As regards to telephoto lenses, I'd love the one fo the L range lenses but I just can't afford it. I'd hoping to get something like a 90-300mm USM lens. They are about £200 over her so in (Florida) they should be about $150-ish.

The company I work for do alot of motoring events, track days at Brands Hatch, rallying in the midlands, events at silverstone etc. etc. so I am going to have a word some time in the new year and see if they wil get me a press pass for a couple of events

Darren

Oh, does anyone know if any american camera shops around Orlando, Kissimee area? I wanna do some research.

Darren
Old 10 November 2003, 10:22 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got an EOS 5 with a tamron 28-105 f/2.8 lens - quite bright for low light levels but weighs a ton

Have also got old 35-80 USM and 100-300 USM and both USM focus motors have packed up . The 35-80 was a jam-jar lens anyway bought new with an eos 1000fn (not at the pro end of equipment ) but the 100-300 was classed as decent amateur standard at the time.

Obviously budget is gonna play a big part in choices - L series lenses and IS lenses are better / faster but pricier

Be aware that if the fastest aperture of the lens (lowest number) is greater than f/5.6 then you'll lose autofocus. Limits things a lot if you want to use 1.4x or 2x converters..., i.e. my 100-300 if f/4-5.6 so with 2x is equivalent to f/8-f/11 - next to bugger all use for fast shutter speeds in motorsport

EOS 5 is a good, if somewhat dated, workhorse of a camera. LCD screens on top can become "shadowy" but it used to be possible to have them replaced. I bought mine for the level of control it gave me over point & shoot thingies.

Dunno about the area in the states you're going to but B&H Photo might give you an idea of prices / info / etc

Apple
Old 10 November 2003, 10:47 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Roundup of Canon consumer zooms

[Edited by jlanng - 11/10/2003 10:49:18 PM]
Old 10 November 2003, 10:50 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Smile

Apple, thanks for the reply

I've had a play with an EOS 5 today at jessops and I'm not that bothered about the weight/. Its a lot lighter than someof the cameras I was also looking at. I just need to get down the gym

Are USM motors packing up a common problem with Canon lenses? I've never bought canon lenses before always Sigma as I was on a budget when I first got in to SLR's (6 years ago)

Today was the first time in about 6 years that I have held an SLR and the knowledge is coming flooding back now

Aperature, shutter speeds, etc. etc. etc. Adult education here I come.

Thanks for the link, having a browse now

Darren

Trending Topics

Old 10 November 2003, 11:09 PM
Luke
BANNED

Ive got one complete with grip for sale.. Its in great condition. Wouldnt use one without the grip . It makes the whole camera feel better. Good eye focus if wanted and of course the built in Life saver flash!!

Be carefull about the cheap ebay ones.. These cameras hold their value. Check for the function control dial...this goes wrong. Mine has been replaced .

Great cameras. I want £300.00 for mine..And will get it. Some a re cheaper but have been abused.
Old 10 November 2003, 11:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Actually I have had problems with lenses packing up, though not the USM motors themselves - they seem reliable. I think I've just been unlucky; DPReview is full of people who seem to whinge about equipment for a living, but complaints about lenses are few and far between.

For what it's worth, I've had four lens failures. Three were on 'L' lenses bought second hand - unimpressive for a supposedly professional grade product, but fortunately all were repaired easily by Fixation at modest expense. (They sell equipment too including s/h, and are highly recommended).

Other s/h dealers worth a look are Jessops, A J Purdy, FFordes, Mifsuds and Park Cameras. My local dealer Longworth Photographic also carries used gear and might be worth a phone call.

A.
Old 10 November 2003, 11:16 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Its in the forsale forum..
Old 11 November 2003, 08:40 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys any more reviews, comments

Luke - I personally feel that £300 is over-priced. Mind you I can't comment on the cameras condidtion etc. I am assuming you won't budge on price?

Darren
Old 11 November 2003, 09:47 AM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Have had an EOS 5 for about 6 years, and I like it a lot. It has a good spec (1/8000 sec, 1/200 sec flash sync etc.), and I handles well with the VG10 grip fitted - make sure you get the camera with the grip, because dealers charge silly money for the grip separately, and it makes a huge difference when shooting portrait format pictures.

Despite feeling a bit plasticy, it is a very durable camera except for one area - the main command dial (the dial that sets Av, Tv, etc. modes on the top of the camera). These have a reputation for failing, due to the plastic pins and latch mechanism inside the switch assembly shearing off. Have a good feel of this switch before you buy - it should rotate easily, with a definite 'click' between each position. If it feels sloppy, or 'gritty' then it may be about to fail. Mine failed twice (through normal use - not abuse!). The first time, it was repaired by Canon UK (the most useless outfit in the world), at huge cost, and failed again a little over a year later. This time I had it repaired by Skears Photographic, who modified the switch to replace some of the plastic parts with metal. Cost 1/3 of what Canon charged, and has been fine ever since.

In addition, it is one of the last EOS bodies where the 'DEP' function works properly. Canon made this mode semi-useless on the EOS 3 and 30, and completely useless when they changed it to 'A-DEP' on the 500, 300, 3000, 10D etc.

WRT general purpose lenses: I have had the EF24-85, EF28-105 and the EF28-135IS lenses. It is worth the extra money for the IS lesns in my opinion, but note that you cannot use it if you intend to pan the camera whilst shooting, as it does not allow you to turn off the IS in the horizontal plane as some of the more expensive 'L' series lenses do. IMHO, stick to Canon USM (ultrasonic motor) lenses. If you use non-USM lenses, like some of the cheaper Canon lenses, or all third party lenses except the Sigma HSM series, you will sacrifice a lot of focussing speed.

Hope this helps, Ming.

[Edited by dr_ming - 11/11/2003 9:49:19 AM]
Old 11 November 2003, 09:53 AM
Luke
BANNED

Darren
Some people who will have owned one of these will just treat it as a camera.. They wont get it cleaned or serviced. Also they might want to sell because it has a problem. I bought mine from Jacobs. I bought the extra grip which also has another shutter release you can use when holding the camera verticaly. What ever you do get a grip..it makes the camera so much beter.I also owned until last week 2 x bodies worth more than a grand each (Sold one) A Digital professional Canon body etc et cet c.So I like my cameras and treat them well.If you buy a Eos 5 and you get a bad control selector dial it will cost you a lot to fix. Mine was done before it broke. I,m Lucky the Camera repair center (AXCO) most of the top shops use is just around the corner and I have them for 20 years.

The reason I have asked £300.00 is thats what I am told it is worth in this condition in the private market. I might take an offer but It would have to be very close.

Cheers

Luke
Old 11 November 2003, 10:10 AM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

IMHO £300 with the grip is a good price for an EOS 5 in mint/mint- condition. I'm almost tempted myself! DEaler price would be 10-20% higer, and you wouldn't get the grip (they always split them off and sell them separately for around £50-£70).

For motorsport photography, the EOS 5 is definately a good choice. All you have to do now is save up for the 100-400mm L IS lens to go with it

AndyC, which USM lenses did you have that failed? I've got/had a fair few Canon USM lenses (including a couple of 'L'), and have never had any issues (apart from the ones I've dropped, that is). I thought the whole USM system was supposed to be ultra-reliable because there are fewer parts to wear out - for the ring USM motors at least.

[Edited by dr_ming - 11/11/2003 10:19:43 AM]
Old 11 November 2003, 01:51 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I had:

- 100-300 f/5.6 L - the AF/MF switch failed. Apparently this is quite common on this lens, which is after all rather old, and I bought mine used. Cheap repair, nothing to worry about.

- 100-400L IS - also bought used. Entire focus ring replaced; apparently all the little ball bearings had come out and were rattling around, which is why it felt like gravel and eventually jammed solid. Repaired under warranty but would otherwise have been about £300. It's fine now.

- 70-200 f/4 L - bought 'as new' (factory refurbished). MF ring completely disconnected from internal mechanism and span freely after about a year. No parts needed this time, it just needed to be dismantled and reassembled properly. Repair cost about £50.

- 50mm f/1.4 - focus ring became very stiff and the AF motor couldn't drive it. Repair shop said there was evidence of it having received a knock, which I don't doubt (although I don't recall subjecting it to one). New barrel required, about £100.

Needless to say, I think I've been a bit unlucky. I'll certainly be wary of buying used in future, although even with the cost of repairs included I've saved a packet over the cost of buying all my 'L's new.
Old 11 November 2003, 01:55 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Andy, Not surprised by the 50mm f/1.4. Mine took a relatively light knock at the front (cap on!), which mashed to focussing mechanism as you describe. Cost me £100 too. Bad luck on the others though.
Old 11 November 2003, 01:58 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Is the 50mm/1.4 much better than the 1.8? I've got the latter and I'm quite pleased with it
Old 11 November 2003, 02:07 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Yes. Especially wide-open. But that's not to say the 50mm 1.8 isn't good, because it is. Even with the f/1.8, sharpness and distortion will be much better than most (any?) zooms at the same focal length. And you get ~2 stops more light, of course.

The f/1.4 is also a USM lens as well (albeit a micro-USM, not a ring-USM), wheras teh f/1.8 is not, so the f/1.4 should focus faster, and has full-time manual focussing.

[Edited by dr_ming - 11/11/2003 2:09:48 PM]
Old 11 November 2003, 02:56 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Would anyone say its risking buying on ebay without any form or warranty or guarantee? The cameras are half the price of Jessops and come with the VG10-grip.

Darren
Old 11 November 2003, 05:34 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If an eBay seller is local, you can always enquire about picking the camera up in person. This protects you from sellers who don't come up with the goods, means you can pay cash and get the camera there and then, and gives you the chance to check it out before you hand over the money. Most legitimate sellers won't mind if you want to do this, and it may be worth asking even if you don't intend picking it up in person - anyone trying to wriggle out of it may have something to hide.

It may also be worth ringing a repair centre - I suggest Fixation - and asking about common faults and what they cost to put right. This will give you some idea about how much of a gamble you're taking by not getting a warranty.
Old 11 November 2003, 05:44 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Darren,

If they are that cheap, how do you know they are not "warm" and somebody is wanting rid? Suppose it's the same as anything else if someone's after any amount of dosh for the next fix (Not implying all ebay users are druggies )

As Andy says, try to view / meet and check things out / look for receipts etc (could be difficult if they are "3rd-hand" without paperwork).

I know it's possible for Canon to plug their software in and say how many films have been through the camera but it's not the most practical thing for you to check there and then.

Apple
Old 11 November 2003, 09:01 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I did find an ebay seller in Brighton but by the time I had got my finger out the auction was over. Picking the item up was something that I had already considered but I just have to be patience.

Just had a look on the Fixation website and they have a few EOS 5's, one with Grip for £225 + VAT and one without for £225 + VAT

£265 is more than eBay auctions are ending around but I will get a grip. The only downside is that fixation down provide their usual warranty on those particular cameras I'm just sending them an e-mail asking if they can provide a warranty.

I also like the option to hire the L range lenses. But I suppose if you are going to spend over a grand on lens you want to be sure you are getting the right one.

Apple, I can see what you are saying about the possibility of items being hot. That's my biggest concern (along with damaged/defective goods) with using ebay. I've bought cheap small things before but nothing over about £50. I've always thought that I can spot a scam a mile off but you never know

Darren
Old 11 November 2003, 09:45 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Question

I had an EOS 5 for years - it's a cracking camera.

However, I wouldn't buy one now - as soon as I got my D60 I knew I'd never bother with a film camera again and sold the EOS 5 a week later.

I think you would we way better buying a D30 - you'll take many more photo's as its free and you will also learn a lot more about photography than you ever would with film.

Al
Old 11 November 2003, 10:21 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

alistair, thanks for your comments. The biggest decision I had to make was making the choice between digital and film.

I finally decided on film due to the shutter rattings on the EOS 5 (1/8000) and frames per second (5) compared to 1/4000 and 3 frames per second on the D30.

I was also informed that the digital cameras (apart from EOS1D and 1Ds) are very slow on auto focusing. Might have been waffle but that's one of a few reason why I decided on the EOS 5.

All this is helping. Any more input?

Darren
Old 11 November 2003, 10:29 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Another thing I forgot to mention. If I am buying without any warranty (say local ebay seller), are there any tell tale signs I should look out for for abuse to the camera?

I know the glass mirror in the body and the shutter should have no scrathces etc. but is there anything else I should look out for?

thanks
Darren
Old 12 November 2003, 12:25 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Just noticed this ebay auction

It looks like the the guy selling it, bought it during this autction 2 months earlier. He even used the same sale add/description

Darren
Old 12 November 2003, 07:33 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Digital compacts are slow to focus (and actually take the picture), true, but not true of DSLRs. Dunno about the D30 because I've never used one, but the D60, 10D and 300D are all pretty much on par with their equivalent film cameras. I've used an EOS5 and 10D back-to-back, and there's nothing in it in terms of focussing speed. If you are using the camera for motorsport, you also get the benefit of the ~1.6x magnification of the digital. Having said that, I'm sticking with film until Canon release a DSLR will a full-frame sensor at a sensible price.
Old 12 November 2003, 08:06 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Cool

The D30 isn't slow as such, but it does struggle to focus at all in low light. The D60 is the same. It only has three AF points, and only the centre one is usefully sensitive.

The 10D has, I believe, the same 7-point AF system as the EOS 33, which is a bit better. The 1D, on the other hand, has the top-of-the-range 45 point AF system and it can focus on a black cat in a dark room without an AF assist light.

I've used my D30 for motorsports for a couple of years and got some good results - the trick is to assign focus to the '*' key, then to pre-focus on the track before the cars arrive. This works well for predictable action but isn't so good for catching one-off events (such as cars spinning). Sadly the AI SERVO focus mode really isn't any cop at all.
Old 12 November 2003, 09:36 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

You guys must read the instruction books and everything, I amazed by what you know!

I've had my EOS300V since January, I can switch it on and put film in it!

How do you go about picking all this stuff up? This is the sort of stuff (including the other threads) that I thought my college course would be about.....
Old 12 November 2003, 09:42 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Mrs. Ming says it's because I'm a sad b@stard. She's probably right.

Quick Reply: Any opinions of the Canon EOS5?