Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A decent return on £264k or not?
Old 05 November 2003, 04:14 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I would say these days, about middle of the road. Prime commercial yields (for office/industrial) are about 6.6 - 7.25%. Residential is more risky.

If its lots of tenants and they are not professionals then for the return I would want double figures.

Also, remember likely rate rise this thursday
Old 05 November 2003, 04:29 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

The properties already have tenants on an assured shorthold tenancy agreement but like you say perhaps it is risky given the uncertainty over int rates. However I'm looking at a good fixed rate deal (5.09) which my mortgage advisor is going to hold open until the end of November.
Old 05 November 2003, 05:02 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at 27.3% on mine

...but I suspect we're comparing apples with pears...

Mine is
Amount of income - allowances (wear'n'tear, mortgage interest, allowable expenses) - tax

divided by

Amount invested

So if it's a £100K house that I bought with £10K deposit, then 'amount invested' is only £10K, not £100K..

So you really invested £264K of your own money...over how many properties?

Old 05 November 2003, 05:07 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Sorry I hadnt offset expenses (maintenance etc) - I was hoping that my accountant would find every possible way to do that for me.

£264k over 3 properties (2 flats in Leytonstone E11, 1 house in Basildon, Essex - yes I know!!)
Old 05 November 2003, 06:22 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i would say that 9.2% is good, considering that the capital is pretty secure. i can't think of any other ways of getting that sort of return at the moment, that don't involve a greater risk of losing capital. in fact i wish i had done a b2l when i was looking into it a couple of years ago.
Old 05 November 2003, 09:55 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

if thats all expenses then thats not too bad we are working on if its a solid 10% return we buy it especially new industrial.

A piece of development land in central Derby has just gone for 2.1million apparently investors with serious money are getting desperate.

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2003, 10:33 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

9.2% gross doesnt say anything

If you were looking at buy to let at the moment with the saturation of the rental market any return is good...... of course those people that got in years ago can make a killing with low capital in the house!!!

I have been looking to buy a couple more buy to lets at the moment but worked out that the net yields in Bristol were about 1-2% - yep and I'm a Chartered accountant!!!

Of course I dont want the yield to be that high anyway as I'd be paying tax (I've included 40% tax to get me to the 1-2%) but still its shabby

The primary reason people have gone into the market in the last few years is becuase of capital appreciation not rental yield - but then the ideal scenario is for the capital appreciation to be on a house you lived in for 2 years then rented - you then get to have 3 years of rental with appreciation free of Capital Gains Tax and on top of that you get £40k allowance...........

If you were to buy a house that you never lived in then youn are straight into CGT less of course the CGT allowance (currently £7900)

The typical 'Gross Yield' - which is defined as the income/the investment in the House (not the House Value!!!!) then my yield is typically 11-12%, but the net yield is far lower - plus you should really assume that you'll have some void periods - typically 1-2 months a year - some properties are worse - especially is you try and rent a property in last October onwards - may not get it rented until earl Jan!

Hope I've not bored everyone

I guess Gross yield is fairly irrelevant.... its the net yeild that counts - plus you have to look long term - remember in the long term price rises have been greatttttttttttt

I look at properties now in terms of what I can rent them for in relation to an 80-85% mortgage - if it makes sense and you have the deposit then you just do it!!! - but caution given the likely rising rates - now thats how recessions start

Old 06 November 2003, 02:07 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Not Bad for a Layabout Fangoria

We've just been doing Appraisals and valuations of properties that we have had for 20 years and more and its very heart warming stuff :
Old 06 November 2003, 04:12 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Mattstand, if you've got anything to sell, let me know - I act for loads of funds/clients with money burning a hole in their pocket. Especially for east mids.

Matt
Old 08 November 2003, 07:44 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I have those noddy FPC exams as well - but I' not a practicising Financial Advisor!!! - a computer system does that these days!!

Wish I had started buying houses to let ages ago - but people can say a lot of things retrospectively!!!
Old 09 November 2003, 01:08 AM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

How are you working out your gross yield ? Have you taken all the variables into account ?

There is no way you can work this out accuately. Very simplistically, if you're happy with the return and the property then go with it.

Caveat Emptor. cant spell this but it means "buyer beware".
Old 09 November 2003, 10:27 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Gross yeild is easy to calculate, even a child could do it

The Gross Yield - as defined in most buy to let publications is:

Gross Rental/value of investment in the property

So typically Gross Rental*12/investment.

Of course you may have void periods reducing this - but that is the only complication - along with maybe the tenant not paying up!!!

All costs are taking into account in getting at the net yield - this is were it can become more complicated

For most purposes these days people should look at Net Yield - If you can actually get a positive net yield NOW - especially in the South then you are doing very well - Net Yields in the South West are poor
Old 09 November 2003, 10:53 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Whats the ctriteria for a buy to let mortgage? How much deposiyt has to put down and how does the interest rate compare to ordinary residential mortages?Which companies are best for them?