Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

living in leighton buzzard

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2003, 08:10 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Wife and myself are thinking about moving to Leighton Buzzard, but have some questions, mainly:

How long does it take to commute into Euston in the morning? Is it really busy on the train, or can I get a seat?

Is it a nice place to live? We don't have any kids and are only 23, but we're not wild party animals
Old 28 October 2003, 08:33 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just in case no-one from L-Buzzard answers you, the trains have been pretty bad from the Milton Keynes / Bletchley end, with buses laid on etc. My girlfriend gave up on that line a while ago and now drives to Flitwick and takes the 'Bed-Pan' line instead as its generallly more reliable although I did have to drive her to Luton a couple of times earlier in the year !

LB seems to get busier every time I drive through it with more new houses springing up - almost like M Keynes in fact !

Old 28 October 2003, 10:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Leighton Buzzard??? Is that near Royston Vasey?

Old 28 October 2003, 10:23 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to live in Rockleigh Court, which was right next to the station. It was a nice enough place to live, quaint even but the traffic was bad 12 years ago and now I think its even worse. There is also some trouble in the centre at nights on the w/e. Too many houses crammed into a small space, unless you can aford Plantation Road...

F
Old 29 October 2003, 09:58 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ok guys, thanks for the input...

We're first time buyers, and the value for money is certainly better than in Watford, where we can barely afford a decent flat whereas in L.B. we can get an end of terrace house with attached garage

Will try to stay out of city center as well then... is Plantation Road really, really expensive?
Old 29 October 2003, 11:34 AM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

I used to live in LB and its not a bad place, got a few pubs, locals can be a bit clicky but managed to stick it for about years so it cant be that bad.
Trains take anything from 42 mins to an hour depending on all stops or a fast one, as for reliability of trains its the UK isnt it!!

Old 29 October 2003, 11:50 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Try cheddington. Same line, small village north of tring. Has a newish development on the northern edge ( nearer to station )

Nice, used to live there.

Steve

Old 29 October 2003, 12:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

There are plenty places along the Euston line between Watford and Leighton Buzzard:

Kings Langley
Apsley
Hemel Hempstead
Berkhamstead
Tring
Cheddington

It gets less built up and greener the further out you go, also house prices tend to come down somewhat. This said, 2 bedroom flats are going for 135K-140K in Hemel Hempstead.

There is a large new development in Apsley (Apsley Lock) which is easy walking distance of the station with a few vacant posessions.

Further out I remember a 4 bed house in Aston Clinton (couple of miles north of Tring) went for about 240K (this was a year ago and it did need a lot of work!)

Herts/Beds/Bucks is a nice area to live, easy to get into London and also convenient for the M1/M25, Watford and Hemel being 30 mins from Heathrow (traffic permitting!)

On the down side - small towns can be just as nasty as big cities.

Yes, I am biased - I am originaly from Watford

Rich
Old 29 October 2003, 05:13 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I live just outside of Tring and originally planned to take the train to work (Hammersmith)
I couldn't stick it and now drive in.
The journey is fine (as long as you get going early) and it takes me about 50 minutes door to door.
Old 29 October 2003, 05:18 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

SJ: It is convenient indeed! Wife needs to commute to Aylesbury, but it can't be that much worse than going from watford, right?

What's the crime rate like? Will our insurance on the scoob go up or down, and will we get car-jacked / have our door kicked in?

Regacy: Hammersmith must be a bitch to get to by train from Tring... I'm happy with the train at the moment though, because I can walk from Euston to work in 15-20 minutes

Old 29 October 2003, 06:16 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

i live there, in linslade, crime is like any town, nothing out of the ordinary, although i have a garage i had a my01 scoob for 1 year and ive had my evo6 for 1 year now parked on my drive and (touch wood) nothing un-toward has happened since moving here, true about traffic its a nightmare at weekends but just use the by-pass,trip to ayelsbury in rush hour would be bout 35 mins, highly modded evo 6 £1300 insurance a year

hope this helps
Old 29 October 2003, 06:17 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

oh and i sell the best optimax in town
Old 29 October 2003, 06:29 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Got to agree with mbc - (without tempting fate) I feel that the crime rate is nothing out of the ordinary. Of the larger towns Like Watford, Hemel, Aylesbury, St. Albans and Leighton Buzzard there is a slightly higher rate of crime.
Old 30 October 2003, 08:11 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

2 strips joint in town.........wot more do u want!!!

I live in LB & would consider the train to london.........if the price was right!