Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Food for thought?

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2003, 12:06 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday morning my sister in law was involved in a fatal road accident. Out of the blue, just like that. A happy, full of life and full of hope person turned into a dead thing.

I'm not posting this to tap into the rich vein of Scoobynet sympathy - we're a close family and that's all in hand. Nor do I want to preach. I just want to make a couple of observations.

She was killed by a simple error made by the driver of the car in which she was a passenger. A simple mistake, folks. We all make them, but sometimes the consequences are bigger than others.

I've never really thought about it before, but the bucketloads of hurt and mess that get left behind when it all goes Pete Tong are just too dreadful to make that one overtake or that extra 5mph worth it.

And losing someone close really puts everything else into perspective. All the petty squabbles, the misunderstandings and the cross words suddenly seem wasted when you realise how much of a hole that person has just left in your life.

So please, take it easy out there. And if you're having a tough time with your family or anyone else that should by rights be your loved ones, take a deep breath and try to sort it out.

Cheers,

SB
Old 28 October 2003, 12:11 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Deepest sympathies....

I have more & more days as I get older where I think "what if" about some of the things I & others do (mostly others).

Life is precious and as you say, the consequences of a simple chain of events can have devastating consequences.
Old 28 October 2003, 12:12 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said, and deepest sympathies!!!
Old 28 October 2003, 08:37 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Sbradley - very sorry to hear that. We all ahve those "what if" moments, and all too oftenb we put it out of mind and carry on as though we are invincible. I'm 30 now and already drive much more conservatively then I did 5 or 10 years ago. I got in the car with my brother the other day (he's 22) and was horrified by how fast and seemingly carelessly he drove. It's hard to tell people to slow down, innit?

Old 28 October 2003, 09:22 AM
Scooby Regular

Condolences to you and your family.

As you say, we all make mistakes in our driving, probably every time we're out. It's rare that the consequences are as tragic as they were for your sister in law, but they can be. We're in charge of a pice of metal which weighs perhaps a tonne and a half, and the conditions at the moment (slippier roads, very low sun) don't make things easier.

Give other drivers space, expect them to make mistakes, and realise that you and your loved ones are not invulnerable in your metal box, no matter how many airbags you have.