Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting Married....

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 05:32 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most stressful time of your life? or something that everyone should do...

I'm loving the preperations!
Old 27 October 2003, 05:33 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Getting married is okay. It's everything after it that makes you wonder......

Steve.
Old 27 October 2003, 05:35 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

tried it twice

both failed

Old 27 October 2003, 06:24 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Why? Dont see the point tbo.
Old 27 October 2003, 06:35 PM
red_dog
Scooby Newbie

Mine failed BUT I know lots of people who have been married for ages and are still happy. Enjoy every bit of the preperations and especially enjoy the day Good luck
Old 27 October 2003, 06:36 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Oops...... posted with the wrong name (above)
Old 27 October 2003, 06:48 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

I must admit i am enjoying it....seems like ****loads of prep for 1 day though....ah well..
Old 27 October 2003, 06:58 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I fail to see the advantages of being married, but as long as ppl are happy doing it...

Have a good day anyway
Old 27 October 2003, 11:11 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You go for it m8! been wed for twenty three years myself and cried! oops!! I mean loved every minute of it.
dave
Old 27 October 2003, 11:33 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Not being that religious, we got married in our local church anyway. Have to say, thought the best bit of the day would be the pi$$-up, but the church turned out to be the bit I enjoyed the most!!! BY FAR! Meant more to us in the end and is the bit I look back on and am glad we went for the church....

Helped by having family all involved, with brother in law (who plays the trumpet for the BBC Concert Orchestra (Blue Planet music etc)) playing his trumpet to usher the bride in, and us both out etc. Organist was also superb.

Church was full of friends & family, and felt humbled they'd all turned up to see us!
Old 27 October 2003, 11:36 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS Proposed on Xmas Day, and were married 5 months later......of which, I was in Germany for 2 months.

Others scoffed that you couldn't organise a wedding in that time (1 cake maker was flabbergasted as her lead time was 12 months minimum! - I told her it only took 3 hours to make a cake in my oven, so what did she do for the other 364 days!!!!!!! - £400 too! - made our own in the end! - chocolate cake and all the guests LOVED it!).

Enjoy the preparation - it IS fun.

Old 28 October 2003, 07:27 AM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Well i have 18 months before the big day, but hotels are taking bookings now for the reception, and i have had to join a church!

All good stuff!
Old 28 October 2003, 08:05 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Davie,

Good luck mate

If I can give you one bit of advice, it would be this:-

Remember is YOUR (as in you and the missus) day, not anyone elses, so have it the way you want it.

We did, against not inconsiderable pressure from family and had a fantastic time.

D
Old 28 October 2003, 08:12 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

Another one here who can't see the point in marriage, unless of course you're going to be reproducing. Also I suppose the holiday and p1ss up with friends and family are pretty good.

Good luck in any case, it's a big step in some peoples lives.
Old 28 October 2003, 08:42 AM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

Wish I hadn't bothered either as we split up 18mths after, but the wedding was superb.

Got married in New York with a Polish guy for a witness (he was getting married next).

Glad that I escaped the madness of 2 years preparing, it took us 24 hours and cost 25 Dollars, of course that is excluding the £5000 we spent on getting to New York and staying in a 5* hotel for 2 weeks

Good luck and hope it all goes well
Old 28 October 2003, 10:59 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Ah... reminds me of the saying:
Marriage is like an institution, and who would like to join an institution?
Alright alright, I know it's SIAL and you've heard it ten thousand times before

Joking aside, go for it! I did two months ago, and it was a great day. Just remember, as Diablo said, it's *your* day! Do what *you* want and don't let anyone pressurize you into doing anything you don't want.
We had massive arguments with some in the family because we wanted to do it 'our way', but in the end we did, and we're happy we did.

Also, it's *very* stressful before, but the day was fine for us

[Edited by Henrik - 10/28/2003 11:00:56 AM]
Old 28 October 2003, 11:04 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I did it in August and it was fantastic. Don't worry about the little things, just focus on enjoying yourself.

And try and remember everything otherwise it goes in a blur!
Old 28 October 2003, 11:05 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Davie - if you are having the wedding near or in Edinburgh, I have some classy recommendations regardng transport.......
(none of your white trash Rolls/Jag/Stretch Limo).
Old 28 October 2003, 11:21 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Been married for 4 weeks now
The stress built up the nearer the day got, but everything turned out great as it usually does with these type of things.
As mentioned above, the day will fly by so try to take note of as much as possible.
Also don't worry about anyone else (bar wife to be of course)
Its your day so enjoy it.
Last Tip (I promise) Dare to be different - That way everyone remembers something special from the day.

Big Daz
Old 28 October 2003, 11:33 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Cool

it's definitely a turning point in your life.

Nearly got married, but escaped in time!
Old 28 October 2003, 11:35 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Got married when I was 24 - far too young IMO. Split up 10 months later, bitch made me wait 5 years for a divorce!

Will be marrying my current gf when the time is right for us both - no rush and wont be doing any of that big white wedding stuff either. I'd rather spend £10k on a newer Scooby.

Going to get married in the Carribean, just us - have a week or 2 there then do a week in Vegas.
Old 28 October 2003, 12:09 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'm getting married next September!

Luckily it's to someone who is very good at organising!! (I was good enough to give her over a year to sort it out!)

Apparently Las Vegas with an Elvis impresonator is out of the question!

Doh! - Reminds me I need to find the 'right' car!
Old 28 October 2003, 12:52 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Would never do the Elvis / Vegas / Little Chappel experience - I think that cheapens the whole idea
Old 28 October 2003, 01:09 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)
I proposed in March at the top of a glacier in Val skiing this year.

I thought I would get a while to prepare myself but if we hadn't changed the date to this January I would have been getting married next week

The other half is also very good at organising but I have designed and made all the invites, info, maps etc which is quite time consuming but saves a few ££!

Can't wait until I am married......because all my money is being saved for the big day, once it's over I can buy mods

Phil
Old 28 October 2003, 01:27 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I still ask why? I always ask people this and I get some right wierd answers. I wish someone would tell the truth, like 'its cos we're bored and have nothing better to do', or 'peer pressure', or 'everyone else does it', or 'all our m8s have DONE it' etc etc.

TBO Its I guess its fine for God fearing religious type's that dont want to live in sin in case God smites them down, but what about those that have no religious beliefs. Why do they do it? I mean its not as if you get much of a financial incentive now, its not as if children at school care anymore, so why? Please someone help me understand it all

All IMHO of staying with partner for 15 years without either of us wishing or needing to get married

[Edited by Jye - 10/28/2003 1:28:57 PM]
Old 28 October 2003, 01:30 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Also getting married next year in June.

I personally think that there are a few key points in marriages that do work and last.

1. Getting married too young is bad thing IMHO and leaves people regretting having not done the things they wanted as a single person. We are both 31 and have done a lot of things in our more youthfull years with no regrets . We both now enjoy other less youthfull pursuits and look forward to our next chapter in life as a married couple.

2. It has been proven that role models play a big part in the success of marriages. If your parents and other close loved ones have enjoyed long and healthy marriages, chances are you will consiously/sub-consiously emulate this.

3. Love, Tolerance, Communictaion and Laughter will help keep things on the right track.

With regard to the Wedding plans, it's best to stay out of things and pick your moments to add those pearls of wisdom. A little psychology can help with the budget!

We have fortunately got friends who are Photographers, Band, Horse & Carriage Hire & Jewellers so this does help with costs.

I know i'm going to be a bag of nerves come June 11th 2003 but i'm really looking forward to it.
Old 28 October 2003, 01:30 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

cheapens the whole idea

Cheapens what exactly? The cost of it all? What?
Old 28 October 2003, 01:40 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Wait for the bright spark who comes out with the old chesnut about animals having multiple partners and it being unnatural to have just 1 partner. bOllOx.

IMHO the breakdown of marriage/partnerships is to blame for the progressive decline in the quality of citizen this country is producing. Kids today have zero morals and behavioural problems as a direct result of the poor parent role models. Ask them what a conscience is and they won't have a clue.
Old 28 October 2003, 01:56 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Got married 3 years ago after 5 years together and have no regrets. Really, no regrets. The missus did all the organising whilst I was studying full-time, so in fact all I had to do was pass some exams and turn up to the ceremony! Had a fantastic day, surrounded by all the people *we* wanted to celebrate with.

For me at least the wedding event was a symbol of committment to each other and a life together. Was a fantastically enjoyable day too! No guarantee that the marriage will work out of course - that takes hard work, understanding, compromise and more than a little luck.

Enjoy your day.

Suresh