Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC via satellite in Spain?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 10:27 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know how to get the BBC (world service TV channel or standard BBC1, 2, etc.) via satellite TV, in Spain?

Are there any web sites which deal with this subject and/or provide contacts?

Apparently it's possible, but I can't find any information.
Cheers.
Old 27 October 2003, 11:03 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Lightbulb

Depends where you are in Spain- I live in southernmost France on the border with Spain and I pick up all the BBC channels via a 60cm dish and a £20 secondhand Sky Digibox. You do not need a subscription for BBC channels as they are all free to view- you do need to be able to pick up ASTRA 2D though. I have friends/family in the Algarve, Portugal who pick up the BBC, ITV, Sky etc using a 1.5mtr dish.
Theoretically you can't get Astra 2D outside the UK, in reality you can get it all over western Europe with a little effort.
Old 27 October 2003, 03:30 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

My folks live near Alicante in Spain, so I'm tyring to find out for them. They currently have a Spanish digital decoder box and a dish for their existing (Spanish) satellite TV service, so do you think that would be sufficient?

Did you have to get an engineer to align the dish?

Any technical information you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 27 October 2003, 03:42 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

My mate lives in Geneva, and he has the standard UK Sky dish. He has the package registered with an address in the UK so as far as Sky know the kit is here.

He aligned the dish himself with a gadget he got of the net. Try a google search for more info.

David
Old 27 October 2003, 04:00 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of satelite companies in the Torre/Alicante area.

You rent a set top box and get it as cable feed.
Old 27 October 2003, 04:14 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Aligning the dish is very, very simple after all sky's installers manage it and they all seem to be pretty low down in the evolutionary order.

Look here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/- it's intended for caravan users (shudder) but it has some useful info on manual installation and specific info on the differences you'll find being on the "southern beam".

They can use the same dish but I reckon it will be easier with a secondhand sky box- this would also mean they will be able to "upgrade" (I use that term losely as it is total crap) to Sky channles as they would have a smart card slot or CAM. Be aware you can get all BBC services for free, however ITV, CH4, CH5 are still sat behind murdochs encryption.
Essentially you can get the BBC TV/Radio for free, legally and without paying them any licence fee or subsribing to anything. After years of being forced to give them money to my mind that is reward in itself.
Old 27 October 2003, 09:50 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

http://www.solsat.com

seems well covered on above.