Back to Back houses

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2003, 04:22 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry for the long post.

I'm thinking of buying a cottage that is back to back with another. I am confused as to who has ownership of the loft. As it stands at the moment, the house it is back to back with has a loft conversion which includes a dormer above the house I am looking to buy. The current owner says that the loft is owned by the other house and is nothing to do with his house. Although I am not sure I agree, because I have never seen a house with this kind of set up before.

What I need to know is whether there is anyway I can find out exactly who owns the loft before I shell out on surveys and solicitors fees.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
Old 05 October 2003, 05:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

You might want to check out what effect the "loft above your property" will have on insurance!!!!

I am sure that these "overhang" situations can get quite complex (i.e. expensive).

mb
Old 05 October 2003, 05:27 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Boomer, this is one of the reasons I am worried about it. I don't want to get into a situation where the guy above maybe gets a fish tank, which then bursts and pours water through our ceiling and onto our TV. Who would be responsible for the damage. Does that mean his house insurance would have to cover our contents too? Bloody hell its confusing.
Old 05 October 2003, 05:34 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

You are very right to be careful!

All sounds a bit dodgy to me!

If these properties were original one, then split into two there should be some documentation saying that the loft space now belongs to the other owner.

If these properties were always two, then again, their must be some documentation saying that the loft space now belongs to the other owner.

You may be able to find out some info from the local council regarding plannig permission for the job. If the guy did apply for it in the first place, I suspect that the council would want to see proof of ownership?!

Old 05 October 2003, 05:45 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I think the properties have always been 2 since they were first built (about 150 years ago) and the redeveloped about 20 years ago with the front house getting the loft.

Hopefully the council will have some details about the split of the properties.