Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How does Vascar work?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 08:18 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any idea how this system actually works?
Do radar detectors pick them up?
How efficient are they?
(no questions as to why I'm asking please - just interested !! lol )
Old 22 September 2003, 08:20 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

This system is a timing computer, it has to be set for the distance first, between a bridge and a marker post for example and then the police officer presses a button at the start of the timed position when the vehicle passes, the bridge. When the vehicle passes the second position, the marker post, he then presses the button again, this will then give an instant average speed between two points.

Common places for the use of VASCAR is on motorways, in which the police car will wait just out of sight on a slip road, and time the vehicle between two points, usually the white painted square or round markings on the road, but any fixed points can be used, that the distance between them is known. They can also use it when they are following you or when you are following them.

The minimum distance the police are allowed to is 0.125 miles - one-eighth of a mile. Under exceptional circumstances, they're allowed to go down to 0.07 miles but only in pre-fed or dial-in distance modes where the start and end points are not shadows. Police helicopters and Motorbikes can take the same measurements

Those white squares and circles that are painted on the road are used for VASCAR systems. They are set distances apart, and quite often are quite visible to the police from a great distance, they could be parked up to half a mile away and still get a speed reading of an offending vehicle. But remember any fixed point can be used, such as a lamppost.

If Vascar is used correctly the margin of error is presumed to be the same at either end of the check.

The Home Office allows a percentage of error for the overall check and this built into the operating procedure.

Each and every police officer undergoes an intensive training course to establish their margin of error. If it falls within the guide lines then it is "acceptable".

It wont be able to be picked up ny any radar detector.
Old 22 September 2003, 08:28 PM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

QUOTE "They can also use it when they are following you or when you are following them"

What happens then if ur behind them when they clock ur speed and say doing 80 in a 70 will the police get done as well? cos surely they won't pull you for speeding while ur behind them as they themselves must be speeding ?
Old 22 September 2003, 09:09 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

They can be travelling or stationary, it doesn't matter, all they need to do is time you between 2 points that they know the distance between, which they can pre-measure or measure on the fly.
Old 22 September 2003, 09:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
detectors dont pick up vascar they just follow you and when they think they have video'd enough then they pull you over show you the video , which by the way records your speed as you are speeding off and from quite a distance behind, they are a slightly unfair way of getting done i myself got done by one when i over took it now i tend to look into a lot more cars that i overtake as they still are uniformed officers
Old 22 September 2003, 09:40 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

I think Vascar is a different system to video - am I right?
So if these work on fixed points they would have to be monitoring a certain area?
Surely it would be hard to click start and finish accurately late at night on a dark road?
Seems very inefficient and entirely down to the honesty of the police officer in the vehicle - if he were on his own for example how would anyone know he didn't start and stop late/early to increase the average speed?
mmmmmmmmm
Old 22 September 2003, 09:46 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

VASCAR can be linked to a video, it is also known as Provida in this guise.
Old 22 September 2003, 09:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

So if these work on fixed points they would have to be monitoring a certain area?
Surely it would be hard to click start and finish accurately late at night on a dark road?
Seems very inefficient and entirely down to the honesty of the police officer in the vehicle - if he were on his own for example how would anyone know he didn't start and stop late/early to increase the average speed?
We all know that:

a) Police Officers are scrupulously honest

and

b) they have perfect timing with thier fingers as well as perfect vision to see you passing by whatever arbitary marker they're using today

And to all you SN Police Officers:
Old 22 September 2003, 09:51 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Wink

Feel most reassured knowing that REV - many thanks !!