Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Munich Beer Festival

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2003, 03:20 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Too good to let fall down the pages.....

P20SPD =

Neal

[Edited by cheeseboy - 10/6/2003 3:20:59 PM]
Old 17 September 2003, 09:38 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Talking

Anyone been?

Anyone going?

I am, flying out Friday, coming back late Sunday

Steven
Old 17 September 2003, 01:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Quite outrageous, I loved it - and I don't drink!

There are about seven tents for the seven local breweries IIRC, the well-known ones (Lowenbrau etc) are more difficult to get into as they are so crowded.

When (not if!) you fancy walking home with a Stein (litre glass) as a trophy, be aware that several million people have had the same idea already over the last years, and they employ guards to stop you if they think you're stealing one. I got one, I can't remember how, but I think it was a combination of a) I was sober so I realised that shoving it down my jumper and pretending I had ***** was not a good idea, and b) the guards were distracted by three other totally pissed guys trying to walk out with them.

The funfair is quite amazing, I have never seen machines like that before or since!

Enjoy!
Brendan
Old 17 September 2003, 01:48 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

I went two years ago and I've only just about recovered now

It is amazing. I'll never forget getting there at about 9am on the first day to find that the whole place was all ready jam packed with p*ssed up Germans. It's impressive when you go into a "tent" for the first time as these things hold over 10,000 people and the noise and atmosphere is just incredible.

You get these gorgeous waitresses who work their butts off serving beer and food all day long and they can apparently earn enough money over the festival to not have to work for the rest of the year. They strap their wrists up and carry five or six of those massive Steins at a time. You don't choose what you want to eat, you just order "food" and something comes back a few minutes later (fried chicken, sausage, whatever ).

If you get ill (and you will !) then look up to the sky and they have loads of these white balloons with a red cross on them, stagger towards where they are moored and you'll find a first aid station.

The fairground is scary and look out for vomit flying in all directions. I also witnessed some daft stuff including one bloke who thought it would be a good idea to throw his camera to a mate as he was spinning round on some ride at about 500 rpm. The camera hit a woman standing near me and knocked her out.

The only thing I didn't like was that after about 6pm every night, the atmosphere changed, loads of gangs of blokes turned up and I saw quite a few brawls as that seemed to be part of the "routine" Apart from that, it's great - you'll love it !
Old 17 September 2003, 02:08 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

I want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 September 2003, 02:24 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

Roll on Friday

Steven
Old 17 September 2003, 02:31 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Steven im worried you wont be able to cope

I know you northerners cant drink to save your lifes

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2003, 03:28 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Steven!! where are you staying whilst out here? we are all going on saturday.

Me, Re-Bitten Hero, BMWhere, STiGuy, maybe Cheeseboy etc.

have you booked a hotel yet??

How many of you are coming.

We have 2 houses of free accomodation in Munich.

Mail me via my profile if you want.

[Edited by Wurzel - 9/17/2003 3:39:26 PM]
Old 17 September 2003, 03:34 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

I wanna go!!!!!

How much are flights these days? Hotels?
Old 17 September 2003, 03:36 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wanna go!!!!!
is there an echo in here?

Carefull boys, POC the shandy drinkers going
Old 17 September 2003, 03:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

If anyone is interested the Stuttgart Volksfest starts the following saturday and runs for 3 weeks, it is the same as Oktoberfest but slightly smaller but not much, pretty much the same fair ground rides and the same size beer tents and atmosphere.

We are going on the first saturday which is the 27th I believe, plenty of floor space if people are interested.

Cheers

Steve
Old 17 September 2003, 03:37 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

POC YOU DON'T NEED A HOTEL!!!!!

as for flights just check the web.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:47 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Steve(Wurzel)

There are 7 of us going, part of the round table international trip, ie pi55 up. Hotel has been booked i believe, and i am told by the organiser its virtually on the door step.

Thanks for the offer though, will take my scooby cap to block the sun.

Chris, you have not seen me drink, properly that is.

Not looking forward to the flight back though!!

We are flying from Manchester, cost was about £170 return approx 3 months ago!!

Steven
Old 17 September 2003, 04:47 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you guys checked International thread often enough - or talked to us mainland guys more often you would know about this and many other events etc here.... as Wurzel said, floor space is available for the 3 weeks of oktoberfest.

Neal

PS: my telephone nr (if you guys wish to meet up say with our group on sat 20th) is +491795936929
Old 17 September 2003, 06:04 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to the Jersey Beer Festival this friday

[Edited by ChristianR - 9/17/2003 6:28:48 PM]
Old 17 September 2003, 07:42 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
I'm going to the Munich beer festival this weekend!
Old 17 September 2003, 08:51 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

My number is 07946 385045, plus uk code in front, so i think +447946385045.

We have had this planned since last year, sorry.

Steven
Old 18 September 2003, 11:33 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

No worries mate! No planning really required, just a map / name of your hotel written on a piece of paper will probably be a good idea - that way it is easier to get home when you are too fecked to remember

I will give you a bell sometime on fri. - or sat morn.

Neal
Old 18 September 2003, 12:15 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

You'll love it !
I've been twice and its one of the best trips I've ever forgotten
How the german "ladies" carry 10 double pint glasses I'll never know (and never attempt again ).
The beer is excellant, sort of a mix between bitter and larger, and IIRC is about 5%
The food (in the tents) is brilliant as well and is ordered along the lines of "I'll have the pork"
Wallop 1/8 th of a pig on a plate - no veg - no chips - just 1/8th of a pig
Can't wait till I get to go back, but saying "I do" seems to have dried up that sort of trip !

Chris
P.s. Don't forget the Alka seltzer's !
Old 18 September 2003, 12:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You'll have a great time Steven, and if you need somewhere to sleep Paul, you could try the Englischer Garten with all the nudies!

Les
Old 18 September 2003, 01:34 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

From memory the best tent for fun is the HofBräuhaus which is full of Australians throwing steins at each other and girls standing on tables showing off their T**s. The best tent for quality bear is Augustiner Brauerei and a stein of Edelstoff, but they tend to serve Oktoberfestbier. They are about 5-6% so three litres of this stuff is great.

Try and get on a large table with some native people from Munich (Augustiner tent is the best for this). It's a lot of fun and they will drink you under the table. Watch out Shnaps though or firewater.

Si
Old 18 September 2003, 02:14 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

@ SiCotty,

yep, that pretty much sums it up. Also at the moment (well this time each year), the breweries make special batches of beer just for the fest. You can also buy it in the local supermarket. 5.8% is normal. Last year a couple of the tents had around 7%. Rocket fuel. But you just dont realise until you are trying to find the flap to your lederhosen and cant. then you know you have had enough!

So, see you (err whoever turns up) there!#

Neal
Old 18 September 2003, 02:44 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Last time i drank Rocket fuel, one of the german beers was at The Wharf at the side of the Thames near Richmond. Got into so much trouble after 6 pints (ontop of drinking all day), stupidly fighting with a rugby team, and then having to grap my friend and his girlfriend and leg it

Ahh silly younger days

Australian tent sounds cool

Oh well, this time on Saturday, i wont be able to read

Steven
Old 18 September 2003, 05:21 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

yeah, talking boll0cks with the locals is half the fun Last time I went I had access to the BMW tent (as I was visiting friends who work there) but we didn't stay long in there because the big tents were much more fun.

I was in Munich a couple of months ago and there was talk of there actually being a bit of a beer shortage ? It sounded funny at the time but it had something to do with the warm summer. Sure it'll be fine
Old 19 September 2003, 09:10 AM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll be there

Cheapest way from the UK is Cheasyjet or bmibaby if you're in the Midlands. Floor space still available

See some of you guys tomorrow then!

Cheers
Richard
Old 19 September 2003, 10:29 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

only a few hours to go

but we have started at work alreadyyy Weißwurst und bier gleich in der fruh! well you get the idea.

See you boys a bit later then, and the others tomorrow.

NEal

PS: text messages work best, phone on vibrate - otherwise you cant hear it ring...,
Old 19 September 2003, 11:24 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

4 hours till I leave work to wend my merry way to münchen.

Rich don't forget that yellow stuff for me
Old 22 September 2003, 09:04 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Talking

Well what a great weekend. Costly but great.

Left York train station at 9:20 on Friday morning. Got to Manchester airport at 11:20, drank beer in the airport, flew at 1:30.

Arrived at Munich airport in just under 2 hours, add an hour for local time, and 30 mins for taxi trip, and we are at hotel for 5pm local time.

Met in hotel bar 30 minutes later and started the weekend off! Had a few to drink their, then we went into Munich centre and toured several pubs, had a meal, then toured some more.

We went through a phase of doing schnapps chaser too.

We arrived back at the hotel bar just after 11pm i think, and carried on drinking there, just after midnight, 4 of the guys retired for the evening, but Doc Tim and I carried on, as we got chatting to the bar staff.

Sometime between 1:30 and 2 in the morning i eventually got to bed, but that was after several more beers, but stupidly a lot of strong schanpps, served for amusement by the bar staff (their amusement i think)

Got up and had breakfast at 8 with 4 of the gang, the other one was still in bed.

Eventually we set off and got into the centre of the "fest" for about 11, which is crudely when the German Scoobynet crew (cheeseboy, Wurzel, BMWWhere, etc), gave me a bell, and we agreed to meet up once they arrived.

Initial impression was "holy ****, everyone is already pi55ed!!!!", think that was compounded by the fact that my previously non existent hangover, was just starting!!

Bad timing or what!!

12 Miday, and we go into one of the tents, obscure one, and as drinks were ordered i disappeared. The gang thought i had gone to puke, but i went to meet the Scoobynet guys.

They gave us some good advice on where to go, and once we drank our 1st drink, off we went, and agreed to try and meet up later.

At this point, i would like to explain that we were all dressed in White T shirts and weraing cowboy hats, making us very easily identifiable, and of some interest to many a passer by.

We had another slow drink, well i did, and then we went into the Lowenbrau house, **** me, 1st big one we went into!!! 1000's of people. We had 1 proper stein in their, too ages to get served, but due to my bad feeling i found myself looking at everyones empty glass, whilst mine was more than half full.

Half full is 0.5litres. At this stage i panicked, as the guys suddenly went, right were off, come on drink up. So i started to drink it, and found 5 blokes holding the glass to my face uuntil i finished it. With out breathing and no spillage i managed it.

For a minute, i thought i would pass out, then suddenly, hair of the dog and that, i began to feel alive, between there and the HoffbrauHause (think thats right).

This is where the fun started, we met up with the scooby crew again, which was great, as they had a table, so could order drinks quicker.

Pretty much the rest of it is a somewhat convienient blurr, think the scooby crew took plenty of amusing pics.

Can remember dancing in the isles, dancing on tables with thousands of people and getting drunker and drunker and drunker. Beer being spilled everywhere and over everyone, but no minded!!

The cowboy uniform got us quite a bit of attention. And certainly kept everyone together. At just after 4pm i think, we ran out of Euros, as that a kitting of approx 450euros at 12pm to go between 6 of us.

So we said our goodbyes and decided to go into town and carry on drinking there, where credit cards are acccepted. This was a bit sad for me, but also left me with some sad memories of the event.

This is mainly because as we were leaving, there were a few fights kicking off, when people were being refused entry and so forth, and also the bayern munich football fans were a little intimidating.

We carried on in town, when we got there, and returned to the hotel about 9pm.

All i can say is, what a weekend. Would i go again, yes i would. Next year, no! Costs too much to do as a weekend without the family, about £700 in all, so would probably only do it once every 5 years.

Book now if you havent been though, you will love it.

Steven
Old 22 September 2003, 09:35 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Steven,

Did you mention DANCING
(right clicky and save as!)

Yes that is you!
The last picture I have ou you was taken at 17:39, so you had at least 5 1/2 hours of drinking! We left at midnight when they shut the tent... you can't even imagine what state we were in!

Heres the best of the pictures

German resident Scoobynetters L to R: Thomas, Al (BMWhere), Jess, Steve (Wurzel), Neal (Cheeseboy)

Hofbräu tent (HB)

Al & Steven (the dancer!)

Some Locals

Lining them up...

Neal and a rare photo of Re-Bitten Hero

The photographer

The round table boys!

Dancing Steven

The Moose

The Gürken woman

Glasses are so big you can get a clenched fist in them

'nuff said

Wurzel can touch the roof

Getting a little quieter at 23:45!

[Edited by BMWhere? - 9/22/2003 9:39:16 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 09:36 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

I like the bit about the bar staff serving you with strong schnapps for their amusement

Si

Quick Reply: Munich Beer Festival