Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got done doing 61mph

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 06:48 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Got caught on camera (one of them mobile vans) doing 61 in a 50 zone on the A638 OSSET bypass... if anyone has driven down that road you will know that it is safe enough to do 70mph there as it a dual carriageway and there is absoloutely no buildings nearby just fields...

and just at the other side of town there is very narrow country lane which is a 60mph zone!!! and its hard to pass the oncoming traffic doing 20mph on that road...

What i cant understand is why they got low speed limits on open roads and higher speed zones on narrow roads...

Only juuust managed to get insurance cover with 6years no claims and its due in october.. i'm 25 now but with 3 points dunno how much extra it'll be.

Oh well thanks for listening you all
Old 16 September 2003, 06:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Haven't you noticed that the number of new lower speed restrictions has risen as councils have been able to keep the revenue that speed cameras generate.....?
Old 16 September 2003, 06:57 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

When they ask if you have any convictions ... "Certainly not" should be your answer from now on . Don't give the insurance companies any money uneccesarily!! Sorry to hear about the pull though - donuts and high fat yog drinks are on you at the local nick tonight then

Old 16 September 2003, 07:01 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Gangsta Smurf superb piece of advice there!

What will happen when you need to make a claim and they ask you to send in the licence? At least I had to when claiming for a stolen Scoob,nice letter saying "tough,you lied to get cover so no payout" would be a great start to a day!

[Edited by BEW - 9/16/2003 7:02:44 PM]
Old 16 September 2003, 07:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I don't think 3 points will bump the insurance costs up.I have 3 points and Insurance remains uneffected.In any case you should let them know as soon as you can.
Old 16 September 2003, 07:12 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

When they ask if you have any convictions ... "Certainly not" should be your answer from now on . Don't give the insurance companies any money uneccesarily!!
What a stupid piece of "advice". Failing to declare relevant details to an insurance company constitutes fraud, which is in itself a criminal offence.

In the event of an accident the cover would almost certainly be invalid, leading to a potentially ruinous bill, and the driver would likely find himself being prosecuted for driving without insurance, and, quite possibly, charges arising from the failure to declare details.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/16/2003 7:13:26 PM]
Old 16 September 2003, 07:15 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Its all about making money aint it?!
They dont have enough officers to catch idiots nicking motors and upto no good but they always seem to have enough hiding around a corner looking all clued up and busy!
sos for ranting on.

Thanks for the advice guys... i'll let the insurance company know dont want to void any claims that i may have to put forward.(thats if i dont find a way out of it which i very much doubt i will)

Again thanks for listening.
Old 16 September 2003, 07:17 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Agree with above - you need to declare 'em to insurance.

Three points probably won't make any difference. I'm on six and still get cheap premiums!

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 16 September 2003, 07:36 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Arrow

...and the driver would likely find himself being prosecuted for driving without insurance,
scaremongering... the company would still have to cover you for third party risks... i think IIRC they still have to do this even if you only pay the 1st instalment of your d/debit too?

insurance companies LIE a lot when it comes to the word INVALIDATE. Yes it's a good idea to disclose everything when getting insurance, but voiding (or reducing) your cover for your own damages by not declaring points, modifications etc. doesn't mean that you're liable to prosecution for driving without insurance, which is of course a totally different thing.

o.
Old 16 September 2003, 08:37 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

I thought that when you take out an insurance policy, you are only
insured on the information that you supplied.
I would have thought that failiure to disclose any relevent information would make the policy void

I hope that no one ever hits my car that has supplied false details

Greg
Old 16 September 2003, 08:40 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
However if you were renewing your insurance and you recieved a NIP but had not had a court date or conviction you would be perfectly entitled to tell them you haven't any points or convictions surely?
Old 16 September 2003, 08:48 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

SP30 made £12 difference to my policy - 20yo with Tesco.

Andy
Old 16 September 2003, 08:48 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

>Haven't you noticed that the number of new lower speed restrictions has risen as councils have been able to keep the revenue that speed cameras generate.....?
Come to think of it yes you are right. I had not really thought of that one. Seems they cannot get enough cash so they lower the limit [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 16 September 2003, 08:53 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Some of the companies now ignore the first 3 points for a Catergory A conviction, the one I work for does and its a big imsurance company. There is so many people getting caught, they had to rate risks realistically.
Tell 'em and be on the safe side...just dont get caught again !
Old 16 September 2003, 09:30 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Check with your Ins Co....some companies don't need telling until the next renewal date is due and lots don't charge extra for the first 3 points accrued
Old 17 September 2003, 12:20 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

you recieved a NIP but had not had a court date or conviction you would be perfectly entitled to tell them you haven't any points or convictions surely
Possibly depends on the insurer. Just had a look at my last insurance renewal (Direct Line). There is a section headed "Duty of Disclosure", which says that you must tell them if any relevant facts have changed. As examples, it gives "any convictions, for any driver (including pending or fixed penalty offences)". Doesn't look like you have to tell them of any points incurred at any time other than renewal, though.

However, 61 in a 50 on camera is likely to be an SP30, and if it is first points for someone of 25 with 6 years no-claims (then, as others - including Matt Classic, who works in Norfolk for a major insurer - have said) it is probably not going to make a difference to the premium.

Doug
Old 17 September 2003, 12:47 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Angry

Franko,

Sorry to hear about you being got - I know the road well (locally it's the "Mad Mile" and it's where everybody used to test cars if repairing / tweaking )

used to be NSL/70 limit until the tree-huggers and their ilk had it dropped to 50 [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

just so happens that they catch you from "unseen" locations

local MP was caught within a week or so of new limit and just happened to get off "hadn't seen the signs" etc - bollix [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

AFAIK there's not been an accident on that stretch except for people not stopping at the Owl Lane end and going into the signs on the roundabout . Why not make it 70 most of the way and drop it within 500yds of r/bout?

Apple
Old 17 September 2003, 09:11 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What will happen when you need to make a claim and they ask you to send in the licence?
is that what they do now ?, good job they didn't in the past or i would have been right up a certain creek !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 September 2003, 09:19 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

Franko,

As said above that road is very well known... it should be a NSL as there is nothing either side or and side roads. It is purely down to generating cash! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] You could actually free wheel down that road at 60 mph!

I have a friend who is with the Wakefield Police. He told me how the traffic cops (they all think they are w@nkers) were so excited when the 50 mph signs went up (very small signs BTW) because they caught so many people speeding in the first 2 weeks. The unmarked car that patrols that stretch is a X-type BTW.
Old 17 September 2003, 09:41 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Thank you everyone for your advice.
I'm happy to know 3points wont cost me too much xtra if any xtra was panicing thinking they wouldn't cover me as i had a dreadfull time geting insurance in the first place.. got quoted £8500 in my first quote! finaly got insured at £2500 thats because i got my younger bro as named driver he's 22 and anly just got his license.

Apple.
Your right its known locally as "Mad Mile" can remember lads from college used to go test there cars on the road.

Whenever i see a program on road safety they say "we want to deter people from speeding,Not catch people" yet they position thereself in nice little hiding places so that if your only doing 10mph more ther's still no chance of you slowing down in time... they should be in visible spots and get those who are REALLY speeding and give those that are slightly over the limit a chance to slow down.

Typical about the MP being had in the first week.. simialar to that police officer a month or so ago who got away with it saying it was sumat to do with the signs (that was elsewhere tho)

I think the round about suddenly apears infront of you at the owl lane end.. its sumat to do with that bend.. makes a blind spot and as soon as your through the bend infront of you is the roundabout.
Locals know it well but anyone going there for the first time always gets a surprise..
i think they should make the bend wider towards the left and make the roundabout visible from a distance..

Yup scoobyDooo they ask for your licence now whenever you put in a claim.. they look for any excuse to avoid paying out..

Thanks everyone for your wise comments n advice
Old 17 September 2003, 09:52 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

thanks Guy

Didn't know there was an unmarked car patroling that stretch too..

me getting angry at traffic cops now might just go ram my car into the rear of one! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I agree with having patrols in built up places but patroling that sort of road is clearly about making money..

Franko
Old 17 September 2003, 09:53 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Franko - whereabout u from? Wakey?

What car u drive, m8?
Old 17 September 2003, 09:59 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I'm going to appeal...

I whent and painted the small 50mph signs 60mph and took pictures and a video film to show the stretch of road.. going to take that in as my evidance..

Does anyone think it will hold up???

only joking...
Old 17 September 2003, 10:18 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i thought of doing that when i was in court the other day actually... it could work?

o.
Old 17 September 2003, 11:01 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Probably would work unless someone proves we been tampering with the signs...

BuRR

I'm from Dewsbury mate

Drive a silver MY98 sti gold Stilauto alloyes.. Greddy and Blitz stickers on trunk
plate ** BYR

How bout you what car do you drive mate?

[Edited by Franko - 9/17/2003 11:04:16 AM]
Old 17 September 2003, 12:04 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Of course, you could avoid the points alltogether.

See this thread.
Old 17 September 2003, 01:17 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

This is mine

Old 17 September 2003, 01:45 PM
apjames
Scooby Regular

I live in Ossett, and the 'mad mile' is the craziest 50mph I know anywhere. On a side note, I was passenger in a fairly brisk 120+mph run on that road once in JK's Lambo Diablo

This page is handy to know where the boys will be with their guns in the area : http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/F...etycameras.htm

The mini roundabout at the other end (not the Junc40 end) has people plough into it weekly, which may have something to do with the speed limit. But the drivers concerned obviously just aren't paying attention.

[Edited by apjames - 9/17/2003 1:48:24 PM]
Old 17 September 2003, 02:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I do not think it will make much if any difference to your premium, you will get an SP50 (from memory). I got a sp40 a while back and it made no difference to mine.

I for one would reccommend that you do declare it if asked, if not, it could lead to your insurance being void if you lie/forget to, which could drop you in al sorts of poo

edited because Greasemonkey spotted my glaring error.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 9/17/2003 4:11:35 PM]
Old 17 September 2003, 03:51 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Not sure that last sentence reads like you meant it to Paul!

Quick Reply: Got done doing 61mph