Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

gatso magic spray ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 03:56 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes seen it all before !! so called invisable spray on solution, invisable photographic number plates, plate protectors, all guarnteed ( not to work ) !!!
reading one off yesterdays papers was surprised to read off an article relating to a new magic spray that is being sold via the internet !! originates in america !! makes the number plate invisable to flash photography, " AA / RAC " souce said that in there view, none off this equipment worked, surprise, surprise !!

Has been " banned in several states " !! " marketing talk " ?? so has a wonder spray really been invented ?? or is it a case off heard it all before ?? and if it does work ?? !! whats in the bottle ?? thats worth £30 - anyone ??

john..
Old 16 September 2003, 03:59 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jon,
sounds like BS to me, but then if you order some and give it a trial run, I'd be interested to hear if it works out
Old 16 September 2003, 04:02 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

probably turn out to be black paint !! hey presto one invisible number plate... another scam !
Old 16 September 2003, 04:31 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Found it !! e-bay item # 2192032523 - amongst others, the evidence certainly seems good enough ?? !! but what is it that sparay can ?? hair spray ?? silicon spray ?? anyone ???
Old 16 September 2003, 04:35 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
hair spray is supposed to do this, and cling film too aparently. those solutions have been around a while - anyone tried either with / without success?
Old 16 September 2003, 04:35 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

sigh....
Old 16 September 2003, 06:54 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It doesn't work (at least no where near as good as advertised) and you'd probably get done for trying to pervert the course of justice if you were caught using it.

Trending Topics

Old 16 September 2003, 07:39 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Are we hearing from someone who has actual user knowledge off this actual product ?? !! and if it doesnt work, how would they know to prosecute you for using it ?? !! take it its about effective as the number plates which were supposdly non photographic ?? ie. dulls the numbers/ letters but still readable !!

Have heard off reg plates for sale that supposdly do work ?? for sale and succusfully demonstrated at the various car and bike shows etc, but yet to be convinced off there true road going effectivness myself !!

thanks for the info regarding this spray anyway, appreciatted,

john...

p.s seems they can do most things in life !! but not invent the magic number plate solution, eh !!!!!
Old 16 September 2003, 08:03 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I know someone who has used it with success. Even better, they know someone who works for a Police traffic division. They asked the Police officer whether this stuff actually works, and what's their dept's attitude towards it. Their response was that the person who deals with the Gatso images is so overworked, there's no time to further investigate the "dodgy"/unclear images. Photos with unclear plates are just binned - it's not efficient to do anything else with them.

Treat this as anecdotal, but I trust the person that told me.
Old 16 September 2003, 10:23 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Last month we went to an "air cooled" meet at the Ace Cafe in London and when taking a rear picture of one particular beach buggy we just got a bright white flash back from the numberplate, so we took about 5 pics and eventually settled for a side photo as none of the rear ones came out, regardless of the angle we stood at.

So it would appear that it can be done, perhaps the spray contains microscopic glass or metal particles which reflect the flash ??

This was at night, no idea what the outcome would have been in broad daylight... and it was a nice expensive 4MP sony digital camera.
Old 17 September 2003, 07:58 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Theoretically possible but using a domestic digital camera with it's built in flash is not a scientific test.

I have a digital SLR with and external flash that uses a technique called ETTL to control the exposure.

What happens is the duration of the flash is cut short when the sensor determines that the correct amount of light has been reflected back. The flash always fires at the same power level but the duration of the flash burst is reduced.

Therefore, if GATSOS have this technology then they might already be too clever for this ruse.

Old 17 September 2003, 08:40 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I have also heard of this spray, and yes it does contain some tiny reflective material, so when the flash in the speed camera goes off, this material just reflects a solid white image.

I cannot vouch for its effectiveness though.

Do ALL speed camera's always use a flash, even when in good light conditions?
Old 17 September 2003, 09:15 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

whats it called ?? try an american forum to see if it actually works !!i also thought about the fact that american plates are made from a totally different material from ours , which is odd because our plates should make it work better ! no ??

[Edited by scoobydooooo - 9/17/2003 9:32:08 AM]
Old 17 September 2003, 02:30 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

" dan the man " interested in the story regarding the buggy with its non photographic plate, dont suppose you have any links in finding out just what was on this plate that worked so well ?? dont suppose you have the original photo to show us have you ??

cheers,
john..
Old 17 September 2003, 05:08 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John, my mate took the photo when we were there, he posts on a VW bbs so I'll have a word and see if he kept the photos, theres an outside chance he might know whos buggy it was.....
Old 17 September 2003, 10:22 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, would be appreciatted.
checked out this spray on e-bay again and followed the many links mentioned, seems to have some very good reviews from some very creaditable sources !!!

anyone else care to comment ?? very interesting subject, to me anyway !!!

thanks again mate,
john...