Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rights over scratch repair quotation

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 10:06 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My flatmate reversed into a neighbours car and scratched the body coloured bumper a little and took a tiny chip out of the bodykit wheel arch. He left a note and subsequently the neighbour got a quote that nearly knocked us out! £275 to repair a tiny scratch and chip. To put that in perspective my flatmate had a major gash over 3 panels taken out for about £200 and I recently had a bad scratch taken out of the bumper (perfectly I might add) for £95!! We suggested the guy was taking the gish with his one quote from a garage he, 'trusts' and has 'used before' but he seems to be digging in.

What is our stand point? Can we make him get 3 quotes and take the middle priced one or what?
Old 12 September 2003, 10:10 AM
Luke
BANNED

I belive NO... but tell him if he wants it repaired then he is going to have to entertain quotes that you can arrange. Hit a scooter one day...My fault. told him I would pay for the damage if it got taken to a mates bike garage who are very well known for the quality of its repairs etc.... he came back to me with a crazy quote of his own ..... told him to Fukk off and never spoke to him again.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 12 September 2003, 11:59 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what would happen if someone scratched your car Kenny. Would you just accept their quotes or would you insist on getting the work repaired from someone you already knew?

If someone damaged mine, it'd get repaired properly and under my own terms.

Of course, there is a point when you're just taking the pi$$. Ask him (or even the garage) to justify that cost. You can't force him and he can't force you unless the Police are involved and your m8 admits liability in front of witnesses (the note might be his downfall though).

The only way to decide on who makes the repairs is when the insurance companies get involved and it all becomes official. If it's just between your m8 and the owner, then they'd need to come to an agreement otherwise hand it over to the insurers.

Stefan
Old 12 September 2003, 12:41 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Get a quote of your own, if its from a reputable bodyshop and its lower than his then suggest that if the guy STILL wants to use his preferred bodyshop that you will pay the cost of your quote and he can pay the rest and have it done by his bodyshop.

Seems fair to me
Old 12 September 2003, 01:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Good thinking Boro

My flatmate suggested he gets a quote from the place that did my car on Monday. Nobody goes within a mile of the Impreza unless I trust them and this guy did a great job at a very reasonable price and has new clean looking premises. The paint is still fresh on and you can't tell the car was every damaged. If its good enough for a scooby its good enough for a neds 1.1 pug