Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Passed My IAM Test!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2003, 10:24 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Nearly 2 years after I posted 'Passed My Test' I passed my Institute of Advanced Motorists test today!
Been working at it for just over a year due to fairly large gaps between runs due to being at uni. Many Scoobynet members IAM members then?
Any recommended insurers for young (19) IAMs members? 0NCB but no claims, accidents or points. Group 10 Impreza 1.6GL is the bit they don't like hearing

www.iam.org.uk if anyone wants to know more about it anyway. Recommended to highlight your faults and make you think a bit about driving safely etc. Yes you are expected to stick to the limits, but they don't want you to hang around.

Ben

[Edited by scoobyster - 9/8/2003 10:27:03 PM]
Old 08 September 2003, 11:07 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Congrats mate.

I thought about it a few years ago but that's as far as I got

Darren
Old 08 September 2003, 11:48 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Question

I was thinking of doing this also.

If you dont mind what sort of price is it?

Cheers

Steve
Old 09 September 2003, 03:36 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Not many IAM members by the look of things but i'm one of them.

Did it a couple of years ago and yes it does make you think and drive differently.

I'm glad i did it, though it was nerve wracking at the time of the test, talking your way on everything that was going on around you.

Congratulations on passing and at such a young age. Good to see the interest in safe driving.

Alan
Old 09 September 2003, 03:38 AM
jp1
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this as well I was asking my wifes driving instructor about it yesterday. thisnk it will be a must though for saftey and maybe insurance as well

Anybody know the costs?
Old 09 September 2003, 03:45 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I did it 10 years ago, and it didn't really cost anything. A few pounds to go out and £15 membership I think.

It doesn't really have any effect on insurance (well, at least it didn't with me!) as the only companies that recognise it are the expensive ones.

Steve.
Old 09 September 2003, 03:50 AM
jp1
Scooby Regular

just been on my local site and its £85

may do it anyway chhers for the feedback

Trending Topics

Old 09 September 2003, 03:51 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

You could have passed the Advanced Test and have become an Advanced Motorist and a Member of the IAM for no more than £85.00.
Join the IAM
Old 09 September 2003, 09:59 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Congratulations.

Now, if you really want to know how good you are, then consider the RoSPA test. Obtain a gold and you have not only the highest civillian qualification available, but you will also be the equal of a Police class 2.

You are tested in a lot more depth with RoSPA than with the IAM because of the grading system, but in any case well done.
Old 09 September 2003, 10:27 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

I got a 50m swimming certificate, is that beter than the RoSPA?

Simon
Old 09 September 2003, 10:43 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Did mine a decade ago too. I wonder whether I'd benefit from doing some refresher training. No doubt things have moved on a bit since then.
I sometimes try to do a commentary (particularly if I'm bored, helps to keep me alert) but I never do as good a job as I used to.

Congratulations on passing.
Old 09 September 2003, 02:26 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Congratulations! I passed my IAM test about 5 years ago, but let my membership lapse as I didn't really see any continuing benefit from membership. At the time, the cheapest quote from an 'IAM friendly' insurer was almost 3 times what I was currently paying!

Doing the IAM test was one of my better decisions and it's no doubt made me a better driver, and has vastly increased the pleasure I get from driving too.

Becoming a faster and safer road driver is far more to with with the skills taught by the IAM than any number of 'track based' courses - shame that so many people don't see it that way!

A
Old 09 September 2003, 03:14 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

About to take the test myself, when I get a chance
Old 09 September 2003, 03:25 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I would love to be a police class rider. Roadcraft - The police riders handbook is full of the kind of information I would love to put into practice day to day.

I have in the past however been penalised for it - my riding instructor told me to ride to a 'lesser' level or I would not past my test! (Coincidentally, I didnt - I have another tomorrow)

After I pass I fully intend to improve my riding skills significantly - I have no intention of learning to drive.

Damian
Old 09 September 2003, 08:48 PM
BruceR
Scooby Newbie

Well done Ben on passing.

I passed mine about 7 years ago, but wish I had done it a lot sooner, in my driving career. It really focuses the mind, and driving becomes far more interesting, anticipating hazards and observing most other road users not (anticipating same hazards!). Must admit though, I have become very critical of my own driving behaviour since, and where I would normally think why did that car just pull out in front of me, I now question why I didn’t focus enough to anticipate and plan for someone else’s poor roadcraft. Liked all the bits about “tolerance” to other road users, it just makes driving such a pleasure, I have never lost my cool behind the wheel, it’s just so much more pleasurable if you don’t.

Thought at first that the IAM people were a load of do-gooders, I was very wrong, TOP people who gave their time to help educate others, I admire their commitment.

The bit I didn’t like though was driving at 70mph on the motorway, found it very scary, what with lorries, coaches etc., overtaking me while I was in lane 1. Haven’t repeated the experience since the test.

Bruce