Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House sold, any advice on removal companies

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 02:56 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start getting quotes in now.
Call several removal companies and offer them the dates. They in turn will send round a representative who will gauge the contents of your home, offer you a price and even how many boxes it will take. It's a very good idea to buy the boxes from them as all removal companies seem to have there own standard size, makes the removal more efficient, they supply the tape, lables etc etc . In any case they more or less sell the boxes at cost. You'll find prices vary a lot. Do make a point of weighing up the individual who visits your home as one or two companies who offer removal services do it as an 'extra' to there main business and in my experience - are a bit crap and make the experience a whole lot more stressful that it already is.
Me and my partner packed the boxes ourselves mostly because she is so efficient at this sort of thing and I'm not! If it had just been me I would Have let them do the packing!
Oh and make sure you have lots of tea available on the day of removal. Boy can these fellas knock it back....Good Luck.

Edited for...
Do make sure you point out that you'll want some items taken eleswhere. It will cost a little extra but they won't appreciate it if you tell them on the day! So, have a storage location organised beforehand.

[Edited by andrewdelvard - 9/3/2003 3:01:22 PM]
Old 03 September 2003, 11:32 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

I will need to put a lot of my stuff into storage too.

Just to give you rough idea on size, it is a 3 bedroom house.

Should I pack myself, or get them to do the whole lot.

This is the first property I have sold so any advice (expected costs for removal and storage etc), would be very much appreciated.

regards, Mark.
Old 03 September 2003, 11:33 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

How far are you moving? When?
Old 03 September 2003, 11:38 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Wiltshire to Kent (but not purchasing straight away - hence storage of some items - 3 piece suite, beds and the like).

Just accepted offer, so anticipate move within 6-8 weeks.
Old 03 September 2003, 02:58 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

If you pack yourself you need to consider what happens if anything gets broken. If the removal company do the packing they can't blame you if something gets broken, if they don't they can!
Old 03 September 2003, 06:12 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Don't get Prickfords.

I'm moving too and these buggers tried to charge me a 50% cancellation fee-£800-when I wanted to reschedule due to my buyer delaying the exchange/completion. And to top it they still expected me to use them for the rescheduled move!

Use a local independent company, and read the small print re cncellation/rescheduling etc.
Old 03 September 2003, 09:14 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

I used ward thomas - not especially cheap but absolutely brilliant

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2003, 09:15 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

also get them to pack - if you can afford it worth every penny - six bruisers packed moved and unpacked a four bedroom house in less than a day
Old 04 September 2003, 08:40 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'd say pack yourself..saves money and at least you know its been done properly,and you know where everything is.

My dad had a removal firm for 20 years,he supplied old tea chests,most did there own packing.
Old 04 September 2003, 11:01 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

I have to disagree, virtually everytime I move Pickfords has been great with me taken great care. But also the local car and van hire has been just as good when supplying me with there trusty transit
Old 05 September 2003, 06:53 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

check the insurance cover for damage. p***fords moved me left marks and cuts all over my newly decorated walls and marks on carpet. stupid me had let wife organise and the cover was limited to £140.

they packed ok and bloody fast though.

if the house isn't too big i'd move myself with some mates and bung them a drink ... it's a laugh ... mostly
Old 05 September 2003, 08:24 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
make sure you get house and property damage just in case - it doesn't cost much over all. I have to disagree with the comment about Pickfords - my parents and grandparents have used them to go across the country and we used them to go er, somewhat local. Yes, we had slight damage to a mirror but it was fixed under their insurance policy. They arrived bang on time and had the entire flat packed up within 4 hours. We opted to let them to the packing as we have a lot of china and glassware - again if it breaks - they pay.
Secondly, they pack by room and label it so you know what is in the box.
The independent companies round our way were more expensive
Old 05 September 2003, 09:05 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

I used Crown for 2 international moves and storage. Great service and they packed and unpacked everything, in a much more professional way than I would have. I had no issues.
Old 05 September 2003, 09:50 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

From what i have experienced: -

Moved in 1996 with Pickfords, move was ok, they did all the packing and managed to break a marble table

Moved again in March of this year and used GB Liners, again they did all the packing - nothing was busted .

We used GB Liners from the Cirencester branch

Iain
Old 05 September 2003, 01:03 PM
T.J
Scooby Regular

I always got removal company to do the packing as their insurance covers transit damage...although I've never claimed. If you do the packing your not covered short of them crashing the removal lorry. Have use GB liners and Pickfords both ok. Pickfords are likely to be more expensive.

Tony
Old 05 September 2003, 01:50 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

We used `Olympic Removals` in Enfield.........bit far for you I know but what a bunch of guys we had.
They have my vote as no:1 removals firm due to all the problems we had on the actual day....can`t praise them enough, they were fantastic.!!!!!!

Joan.
P.S I done our packing, that way I knew what went where and how quickly we would be needing it when we got into the new house. (eventually)