Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Legalise it!

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 01:39 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legalise it!!!

When was the last time you saw a stoned guy running around town at 3am fighting another stoned guy!!

Edited to say sales in crisps and lemonade would rise 50 fold if it was legalised

[Edited by Hanley - 9/2/2003 1:40:11 PM]
Old 02 September 2003, 11:22 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Watched an interesting documentary last night about marijuana. It was interesting to see the American governments stance in the 20th century regarding the drug, especially in the 70s when Ford was to legalise it! Apparently the only reason he didnt was a scandal involving his cheif narcotics advisor embroiled in a cocaine scandal.

What are peoples opinions on weed in general? Do you think personal use is harmful to others, and a detriment to society? Or should we legalise it?

Damo
Old 02 September 2003, 11:27 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I see it as a harmless intoxicant that tends to demotivate chronic users as well as making them boring to talk to (unless you are doing it yourself).

The worst thing about it is that people mix it with tobacco.

Stay pure.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:29 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Not bothered either way. When I was a smoker, i'd have weed every now and again and enjoyed it! I'd rather have a pint though!!
Old 02 September 2003, 12:09 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you think it is likely that the government in the UK will actually alleviate all penalties for posession?
Old 02 September 2003, 12:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Cannabis is a pretty low priority substance as far as the police are concerned - their resources are already stretched chasing after heroin and cocaine dealers. I have friends who work for the DS and they say it's pretty rare for them to get convictions involving cannabis, unless there's a serious amount involved : it simply isn't worth it when they could be putting away dealers in more dangerous drugs.

De-criminalising all drugs would effectively remove a lot of profiteering from crime, and I'll bet crime figures would drop significantly if the state controlled supply and prices.

On the other hand legalising it throws up other problems particularly drivers - although a stoned driver may only tootle along at 15-20mph they're still dangerous. Plus there's not a lot of research material available to find out its effects, how long it stays in your system for, etc.

Old 02 September 2003, 01:05 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

get "grass" on dvd from play.com its intresting and pretty amusing
Old 02 September 2003, 01:13 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "although a stoned driver may only tootle along at 15-20mph they're still dangerous."

There was a well known study in the netherlands of "stoned drivers"
it found they were actually more cautious and LESS likely to be involved in an accident. Mind you this was a study of hardened users so who's to say what the results would be with the average man on the street.
Old 02 September 2003, 01:16 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I can't and won't drive after smoking cannabis. i think it affects my driving more than alcohol (having stupidly driven after a few pints a long, long time ago...)

o.
Old 02 September 2003, 01:27 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

it found they were actually more cautious and LESS likely to be involved in an accident
Being over-cautious does not necessarily reduce the chances of an accident. As my mate found out last week when he rammed his BMW into the back of an MPV at a roundabout, which failed to move off when the roundabout was clear. But as you mention, it affects different people in different ways so it's more difficult to set a limit.

Old 02 September 2003, 01:35 PM
NACRO
BANNED

MJW the fault in that case was with the BMW driver regardless of the condition of the other driver. If you rear end someone cos you assume they are going to move then it's your fault.
Old 02 September 2003, 01:42 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Read a report a short while ago (sorry, can't remember reference) but it was a feasibility study about which drugs should be legalised/criminalised.

It assumed that ALL the popular recreational 'soft' drugs were still illegal, including: nicotine (in the form of ciggies), alcohol, cannabis, speed, E's, etc....

The basic idea was that the effects of each drug would be looked at (effects on behaviour and long-term health) and then a decision made of whether each particular drug should be legalised.

Interestingly, only cannabis was recommended to be legallised, and that was as long as it's use was only occasional and wasn't taken while driving, operating machinary etc....

Alcohol was rejected mainly on the grounds that it makes ppl aggressive (I think something like 90% of street voilence is alchohol fueled. That figure could be wrong although I think it's in the right ball park).

Most of the other drugs (nicotine in ciggie form, E's, whizz etc...) were rejected due to the long-term health implications.

Interesting, if contraversial , stuff
Old 02 September 2003, 01:44 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

oh and just rememberd I have a message to B&H!!
"Bring back Gratis points!!!!!!"
Save destorying the rizla pack
Old 02 September 2003, 01:46 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

I quite enjoy the occasional spliff, nice bag of skunk never hurt anyone. all in moderation of course IMO
Old 02 September 2003, 01:47 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes i totally agree , a big bag of ,,,,,,,,,,, what were we talking about again ??? lol
Old 02 September 2003, 02:11 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

May aswell as people will smoke it anywhere

I dont think they realise how much money they would make in TAXES just like cigs

I dont drink or smoke but it dont bother me so i say yes
Old 02 September 2003, 02:14 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good point about two stoned people fighting at three in the morning outside a night club, it just doesn't happen. Think beer, etc is much worse for you than the occasional smoke

Anyway, I used to fly model aircraft a few years ago, and ALWAYS did it whilst stoned. In three years I crashed my plane once!!! Better than can be said for a few non-stoned pilots

I think it should be legal!!! Group buy on some skunk anyone, lol

Phill
Old 02 September 2003, 03:51 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I always hate the name 'marijuana' (sounds much more deadly than plain old Many Jane ), it’s a term commonly used by media types and rabid drug counsellors to exaggerate the ‘man high on marijuana (and no doubt a bottle of voddie as well) robs/mugs old lady stories.

And while I’m at it, another pet hate. Most (if not all) UK solid or resinous cannabis is called soap bar, a highly toxic mix of crap like boot polish, turpentine, henna, barbiturates, ketamine, aspirin and can also include carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene. This shi** is manufactured in the UK and Spain and is purely for UK numptie toker consumption as it has been tested on many occasions and found to contain less that 10% THC. You ‘cannot’ get stoned on this crap, not in the true definition of stoned, and not from any THC that’s in it that’s for sure.
Comparing this stuff to decent grass is a travesty; I'd ban the soap bar deffo but make natural, unadulterated grass legal

From RED EYE EXPRESS

MAKING SOAP BAR IN YORKSHIRE

While reading Robert Connell Clarke's excellent book, Hashish, we came across a section on low-grade export quality Moroccan hash, known in the UK as Soap Bar. It seems that soap is made from only a very small percentage of resin glands (referred to as pollen), and up to 90% non-resin cannabis plant material which is bound together with bee's wax or pine resin and condensed milk as the mixture is too dry and powdery to be bound any other way. As the mixture is very green due to the high percentage of plant material, it is then coloured with instant coffee or henna to give it that sandy brown colour! In order to give it a slightly resinous look, turpentine is then added, which also disguises the taste!
Well, as growers with an abundance of leaf material left over from a crop, we couldn't help ourselves. We had to give it a try!

We sieved off 10 grams of resin glands (pollen), crushed up 200 grams of dried leaf and ran it through a sieve to reduce it to a very fine powder. We then heated this mixture in a bowl over boiling water and added 5 grams of bee's wax, five teaspoons of condensed milk powder, one teaspoon of turpentine, and a couple of pinches of instant coffee powder for colour. We continued to knead the heated mixture into a dough-like form, then pressed it under pressure and allowed it to cool. It bonded well into rock hard lumps, just like Soap Bar! To our delight, when we tested it with a flame, immediately we were treated with that old familiar smell of grade 'A' genuine Soap Bar! Crumpled like it too! Although there was virtually no resin glands in this so-called hash, we gave some to a friend and he had no complaints!!

By T. & K.
Any muppets who smoke this crap, take note

And NACRO, its only boring talking to someone who’s stoned if they are boring to begin with, I’m usually quite quiet and prefer listening to music more than talking about the universe all night, perhaps it’s a balancing act with all the wine I drink with a good few J’s

Old 02 September 2003, 03:56 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I know know Jye, I know- it's all about set and setting- just that friends of mine who are hardcore stoners talk about nothing but the weed- probably 'cos that's all they do (it's their job too).

Your comments re: soap bar are very very true. The effects of smoking that noxious crap are far removed from smoking the flowers from a female plant.

As an aside to the topic but on a related note the Nederlands has made weed available on prescription to those that need it recently.
Old 02 September 2003, 04:57 PM
Luke
BANNED

So they put some rubbish in it......... You want to see what they are putting in it before it leaves Morocco!!!!!!(Spent some time working in ketama and Chefchaouen nearly 20 years ago visited in total about 17 times)

And for an all time classic "Paki Black" what the hell was in that???

[Edited by Luke - 9/2/2003 5:01:54 PM]

[Edited by Luke - 9/2/2003 5:22:02 PM]
Old 02 September 2003, 05:29 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

mmmmmmmmmm, weeds nice. Ive never seen any stoned people fighting. i think its nice just too have a night in and chill with a joint.

cheaper than booze too. Im a total lightweight, so once a month is nice.
Old 02 September 2003, 05:47 PM
Luke
BANNED

And as for adding stuff.......... did you realy believe the so called "smells" of skunk????? most of it came from a bottle.
Old 02 September 2003, 06:01 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I find it strange that two class A drugs Alcohol and Tobacco are legal but no others are. Yet alcohol is directly responsible for many car accidents and much petty crime.

I have no statistics to hand, but would suspect that if all drugs were legalised then the wholesale price would reduce. The government could charge tax and use the proceeds to ensure that addicts could have access to clean needles etc and education. As the drugs would be freely available the government could ensure that the source was pure, not mixed with Vim or flour etc whcih has to be better for most.

I doubt you would get many more addicts than there are already because taxes raised could additionally be diverted into education and there wouldn't be a dealer at every primary school trying to sell them to 6 year olds.

I should imagine that a large percentage of the population has tried either pot or coke but the majority haven't go addicted, just as the majority aren't addicted to alcohol.... tobacco is a different matter.

As for drug driving, surely people do this already, so legalising drug use makes it easier to educate because you aren't educating people on something they aren't supposed to be doing...

Sorry too much drivel.

Dave
Old 02 September 2003, 07:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

We're just talking about a bit o weed here, so the first step is to decrimilize it, which might happen, this at least means you can have a few blunts without the old bill nicking you. Kinda like Holland, purchase and smoke in designated places, or, I guess, your home. No problem with that at all.

Then, if things are ok after a few years. maybe legalise it (is it class C? never remmber what it's classed as).

I can see the decrim possibly happening, but legalising it, nah, don't think that'll happen. However, potheads take note, Canada is thinking about legalising it. The Yanks had a word or two to say about that, got all stuffy and said the borders would be much harder to cross, yet another show of the yanks not liking it when things don't go their way, awww, spoilt brats.

Anyay, I digress. I can never see Class A drugs being decrimd or legalised, sorry, won't happen, well not in my lifetime.

I do remember some programme I saw before I flew out here that was showing some yank films where some chap was a nice bloke, then puffed some weed and then proceded to chop up his wife! lol, pished myself totally. Then they went on about how if you smoked weed you WOULD procede to stronger stuff and basically potrayed all pot smokers and turning into smack addicts. What total bollocks. I have quite a few friends who smoke a fair bit and not one of them is hooked on smack, it's a myth, well, ok, maybe not a myth, but certainly a mistruth.

Do I have a problem with drugs? not really, if people wish to smoke a bit of weed fine, no problem, if they drop an E or five in a club, then sorted, if they fancy snorting a line of coke here and there, fine, their body, not mine, they want to shoot up, go ahead, it's your choice your life. As long as they don't try and push me into taking it, I don't have a problem. This does NOT mean I would sit by and watch someone I know turn into a smack head, no way, I'm not that shallow, if I knew they were getting into something heavy I'd tell them I was worried and if was allowed to, would try to help them, if they did not want my help, well, that is their choice.
Old 03 September 2003, 11:34 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Markus, was it 'Reefer Madness' from 1932?

quote from the film -

Its first effect is sudden, violent, uncontrollable laughter; then come dangerous hallucinations -- space expands -- time slows down, almost stands still... fixed ideas come next, conjuring up monstrous extravagances, the total inability to direct thoughts, the loss of all power to resist physical emotions... leading finally to acts of shocking violence... ending often in incurable insanity.

http://www.monkeyboyreview.co.uk/fil...ferMadness-118

Old 03 September 2003, 09:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I can never see Class A drugs being decrimd or legalised, sorry, won't happen, well not in my lifetime.
Markus mate, it's already happened in Portugal - possession for personal use of any drug is not a criminal offence, as of July 2001. However, you'll still be stopped by the police, have it confiscated, and will be up before a "tribunal", who will basically try to dissuade you from taking it in the future, whether by medical means or fining you. Note, traffickers still get banged up for a long time, so legalisation is a long way away. Switzerland may or may not be working on some sort of controlled distribution system but I'm not too au fait with the latest developments, and whether or not it's just dope or other drugs.

Brendan