Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do diet threads engender so much comment?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 11:15 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What's the term for an upside down pear shape, i.e. top heavy with narrow hips?

Size 12? Ample?!

[Edited by TurboKitty - 9/2/2003 11:16:45 AM]
Old 09 February 2003, 12:11 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

If most men are similar to me, then most men are like dogs with two dicks when walking down the street.. many, many different physical types appeal,
You don't need to read SN for very long to work out what the general preference is around here, (or at least the preferences of the loudest voices or the plain rude enough to comment). Just about any photo of a woman posted on this board will attract at least one negative comment about how she looks. And I don't mean, 'no, she's not my type', I mean, 'she's an ugly f*ck'. A photo of Jennifer Lopez, possibly one of the world's most desired women, was posted not all that long ago and someone felt the need to comment that she has a fat ****. Rounded yes, but fat? I really don't think so. I don't see the need for such judgemental, negative comments.

If Angelina Jolie is an 'ugly f*ck' and Ms. Lopez has a fat ****, what hope is there for the rest of us? Is it really a wonder that eating disorders are on the increase and women are increasingly paranoid about their looks.

I should also comment, because I've focused mostly on women so far, that this trend is increasingly applying to men too. Just look at the interest in the bodybuilding threads.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 9/2/2003 12:15:39 PM]
Old 09 February 2003, 12:24 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

boxst, I agree completely, it's purely the derogatory terms I don't like.

edit:

I have preferences of my own. For example I wouldn't date a bloke with a lot of body hair. However, I wouldn't look at a photo of a hairy bloke and post, "ewww, look at the gorilla, how ugly is that?", or some such. Hairy doesn't work for me, but that doesn't make being hairy any less acceptable, if you see what I mean?

[Edited by TurboKitty - 9/2/2003 12:27:40 PM]
Old 02 September 2003, 10:25 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

?
Old 02 September 2003, 10:27 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No comment.
Old 02 September 2003, 10:27 AM
yoza
BANNED

You want someone to say "because there are so many FAT people about".

Well Im not going to say it.
Old 02 September 2003, 10:32 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
LOL @ Yoza!

Because society decides that people should look like stick insects and then 'normal' sized people, women in particular, believe that they are fat and start to diet!! F*cking glossy mags!!

Oh and we are increasingly eating like the Americans and becoming a nation of fat, lazy, ars*holes
Old 02 September 2003, 11:00 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Question

If mannequins (sorry, personnequins) are anything to go by, the ideal figure for women is that of adolescent boys. Who's responsible for this? Do women want to look like this because it's the body type they find attractive? Or is it because the fashion industry is overrun with pederasts? Last time I looked, the tendency for most women was to have **** and ars*s. Which is nice. Or am I being very old-fashioned?
Old 02 September 2003, 11:04 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Well the nation certainly is getting fatter.

I actually quite like thin women (size 6 / 8) (sorry!) and it's getting increasingly hard to actually find anyone without their tummy sticking out of their too tight trousers...

Steve.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:05 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
As a woman of 'ample' proportions (size 12 LOL), I would say that I would like to be thinner however i've accepted that any thinner and I would make myself ill so i'm pretty happy how I am. Sadly, I can see where women who get thinner and thinner are coming from though!
Old 02 September 2003, 11:09 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Seven posts and the thread hasn't gone pear-shaped yet! (no pun intended!)

By the way, the scientific word for pear-shaped is Pyriform.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:14 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Bubba, we want to look like that because the media tells us we should, and we're called fat if we have any shape at all.

Men are bombarded with completely unrealistic, unattainable airbrushed images and they are increasingly expecting women to live up to these.

Last year I was told by a bloke that he liked me and was interested in my mind but that I'd have to be a size 12 or smaller to be acceptable. We fell out in quite a big way shortly after, which isn't really much of a surprise.

There are people on here that would claim the interest in being thin is to do with identifying thin with healthy, or fat with unhealthy. I, personally, disagree. I think the lengths to which people, (usually women), go to attain the boyish figures you comment on is just as unhealthy as being fat.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:17 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

TurboKitty:

"Unusual" ....

Steve.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:28 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Luvverly!
Old 02 September 2003, 11:34 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Unusual? Yeah that's about right.

I have a size 20/22 bust and a size 14 waist and hips!
Old 02 September 2003, 11:35 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

T.K. I agree completely, but who's responsible for the bombardment? My point is, in order to push one body image rather than another you would expect that the pusher found that body image attractive, or sexually alluring themselves. So is it women themselves pushing slim-hipped no-titty body images, or influential designer homoes?
Old 02 September 2003, 11:39 AM
ChrisB

we want to look like that because the media tells us we should
If you believe the media, you're either stupid or shallow...
Old 02 September 2003, 11:42 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Clothes tend to hang better on women with no shape, which is, I think, why designers choose waif-like women as models.

Over and above that, I don't know what the obsession is. I can appreciate an attractive woman as much as any bloke, but I, (personally), find being able to see individual ribs unappealing.

No offence intended to anyone who is naturally built like that, but I don't see why anyone would want to go to extreme lengths to force their bodies to conform to that look.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:45 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

It's all down to designers. They want the women who model their clothes to be like coat hangers! Oh and men who believe that women with 'perfect' bodies exist! I'm lucky enough to have a fella who likes me as I am!
Old 02 September 2003, 11:49 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Chris, the media influences us all, like it or not. If everyone is constantly told that people should look a certain way, over time is becomes expected. It's not a case of reading an article saying 'you must be a size x' and believing it. It's more a case of people repeatedly seeing unrealistic images, gradually accepting them as the norm, and using them as the standard by which they judge.

It's also more subtle things, such as in which sizes it is possible to buy fashionable clothes that fit properly.

Many people aren't aware of this but most clothing companies, if they make larger sizes at all, make their plus ranges from patterns designed for smaller people and scaled up overall. Unfortunately, larger people are not usually built like this. They're a totally different shape. The result is that it's much more difficult for an overweight person to buy clothes that fit and suit their shape than it is for someone slimmer.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:50 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Red, it's worse than that, not only do some blokes believe women with perfect bodies exist, some of them believe that's what they are entitled to!

[Edited by TurboKitty - 9/2/2003 12:01:42 PM]
Old 02 September 2003, 11:57 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Engender.

en·gen·der ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-jndr)
v. en·gen·dered, en·gen·der·ing, en·gen·ders
v. tr.
To bring into existence; give rise to: “Every cloud engenders not a storm” (Shakespeare).
To procreate; propagate.

v. intr.
To come into existence; originate.

Do you know I've never read that word before. Great word! I'm going to try and bring it into as many conversations as I can today..."Stop engengering me!"
Old 02 September 2003, 11:59 AM
ChrisB

Red, it's worse than that, not only do blokes believe women with perfect bodies exist, they believe that's what they are entitled to!
So just like you've been banging your drum about universally insulting fat people, I'll take you task about saying all blokes are the same and insulting us all.

Old 02 September 2003, 11:59 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Red, it's worse than that, not only do blokes believe women with perfect bodies exist, they believe that's what they are entitled to!
errrrmm... yeah, whats wrong with that???

[hides behind keyboard...]

BB
Old 02 September 2003, 12:01 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

When Jody Kidd was on Top Gear the other week, I thought she looked great. A bit gangly, awkward and posh, but what impressed me was how her personality shone out- a genuinely likeable person.
My wife told me she was expected to be two stones lighter when she was a working model.

If most men are similar to me, then most men are like dogs with two dicks when walking down the street.. many, many different physical types appeal, and stick-thin women just aren't that common. Well at least not in the north where I live.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:02 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Chris, you're absolutely right, it was a flippant generalisation. I've edited it accordingly.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:04 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Bubba, the thing about TV/cameras adding pounds is also true. I've been at the filming of a few shows now and some women who appear very slim on TV can be damned near skeletal in real life.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:07 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

My four-year-old (who is now five) came up with a belting word!

"Parannoying"

Usage example: "Stop parannoying me".

Meaning: Presumably "To engender (there it is again) paranoia by asking irritating scary questions."

Now I'm scared!
Old 02 September 2003, 12:21 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

On the other hand, people are allowed to express a preference. Although perhaps not in such derogatory terms.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer "thin" women. So I go and find a thin woman. I do not find a fat one and say "Hey, you, go diet you can have the pleasure of going out with me".

Steve.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:30 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

TurboKitty:

You are not a size 6 and I'm full of body hair, I guess we are never destined to be!!!

Steve.

Quick Reply: Why do diet threads engender so much comment?