Gravillions

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2003, 12:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just back from nice holiday in Provence, except:

The people who we were staying with have a french registered Citroen Xsara auto, which they keep down there for running about. We burrowed it to drive down to the local town to get some supplies. Was driving down a "D" road, and saw the roadworks sign with a picture of gravel spraying up from a car. Was just pottering along, not (in my mind) going at all fast, probably about 40 MPH. The missus (17 weeks pregnant) was sat beside me. Came around a shallow bend and saw an MPV coming towards us, slightly in the middle of the road. Steered to adjust our position more towards the right side of the road, and immediately the back of the car broke loose. Tried to correct it but we were sliding towards the oncoming car. Suddenly I am thinking jesus - we are in a whole world of sh*t. Must have panicked and put the car into a spin to the right. missed the oncoming car (probably more by luck than anything else), went off the right side of the road and hit a tree. I was in a total panic about the wife. The airbags had gone off and the car was full of smoke (later I realised that this was just from the airbags going off). We were both able to get out of the car and everything seemed to be ok. Some police turned up and were quite friendly and helpful, despite my almost non existent french. the car was a write-off.

2 things i keep thinking about:
If I'd taken my foot off the brake I might have been able to avoid the accident altogether.
The police offered to take us to hospital but the missus said she was ok and just wanted to lie down for a bit. I should have insisted that we go and get her checked out. As it is she will go on monday to the maternity place for a check-up.

It just shows how easy it is for a tiny lack of caution to turn a great day into a potential nightmare. I must say (although it isn't an excuse) I thought the road "repairs" were a bit irresponsible - the off camber bend was litterally awash with loose gravel. so much so that they were able to cover up all the radiator water that poured out of the car by just sweeping some of the loose piles that were all over the road (after we hit the tree we bounced back into the road). It seemed lucky that another accident didn't ensue as someone tried to brake to avoid us. After a couple of minutes, a kindly french chap stopped and went up the road to slow oncoming traffic.

Thw whole thing really shook me up. all being well, we will have escaped with only bruises and scratches. be careful out there.

Charlie.
Old 01 September 2003, 02:46 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just heard from the missus that she's been checked out and everything is a-ok. still can't believe how unhelpful the NHS can be - she got sent all over the place. one lot of people wouldn't see her cos they "only deal with women who are 18 weeks or more pregnant" and they calculated that she is 17 week and 4 days or something pregnant. when she finally got scanned the doctor said she was 19 and a bit weeks. why can't they just get on with it instead of arguing the toss?

anyway - much relieved now.

Old 01 September 2003, 04:02 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Glad to hear you're all OK,

Best wishes.