Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ever been in a situation where you thought you would die?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2003, 11:30 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else been in a situation where their life has hung in the balance - and what did you think?

I was on my zx7r going home from London 2 yrs ago on the M11 in December at about 7pm, when my tailpack flipped under the rear subframe and locked the back wheel at about 90mph. Plenty of people have died in similar circumstances. The first I knew was when I saw the back of the bike come round out of the corner of my eye.....then it started to fishtail.

While it was fishtailed time slowed down so it seemed like minutes - I was really calm and just thought 'well this is it' - no thoughts of family, my life didn't flash before my eyes, and I wasn't scared - has anyone else felt like this is a similar situation?

I was really lucky - I 'managed'to stay on the bike until it had slowed down a fair bit and I was highsided off towards the barriers rather than the second lane - but I didn't hit the bariers and the car behind me managed to stop in time - as I was lying on my back on the 3rd lane in the pitch black - not a good place to be. The bike wasn't so fortunate - a sierra hit it at about 80 and a hell let loose. One of the traffic cops called me 'Mr lucky bollocks'...

[Edited by Boss Hogg - 8/29/2003 11:32:09 AM]my spelling's appalling

[Edited by Boss Hogg - 8/29/2003 1:29:42 PM]
Old 29 August 2003, 11:44 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Yup - zx7r too, pulling out of a junction, too much throttle (10k rpm!!!) and huge powerslide then fish-tailed down the road - thank god for the steering damper!
Old 29 August 2003, 11:57 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

ooh yah, ive had a situation of this kind...i went out as you do to celebrate, and maybe over did it a bit and then had a realy dodgy curry, the next day i felta rumblin n dashed to the throne n was sat there thinkin my life was in the balance while decorating the toilet
Old 29 August 2003, 11:59 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Nearly drowned when i was about 14. Narrowly avoided a head-on when i was about 19. Two down, seven to go (hopefully)!
Old 29 August 2003, 11:59 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Following someone at high speed towards a single-pass bridge I saw that we two were gonna get there well before the person coming the other way- so didn't slow down a lot. I flicked my attention away for half a second and when I looked back the courteous bleeder in front of me had come to a dead stop. Cue emergency braking, ABS going crazy, and no room to steer round so useless anyway. Stopped inches from her and stalled, fingers white on the steering wheel.
Drove the rest of the way home in a shocked daze, just turning over what might have happened if I hadn't managed to stop. Looking away for a full second would have been disastrous. I reckon it was my fault though, you should always assume that the other person is going to do something completely insane, then you might be safe.
Old 29 August 2003, 12:03 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Yep, when I was out in the middle of the jungle in Malaysia, doing a type of "camel trophy" challenge event called the Malaysian Trans-Pen Challenge a few years back.

We were given the wrong tulips (road/trail directions) and took what was stated as the correct turning only to be fronted with a track that was barely wide enough for our Patrol. As we were doing some 70-75mph at the time there was a drop that must of been at least 80-100 ft deep and at the bottom a river As I tried to gradually slow down and keep us on the track and now doing about 50-60mph the track ahead had been washed out by the rain and there was a break of about 10-15ft.

There was no way I could of stopped in time nor jumped it! The only thing I could do was to dig the front of the Patrol into the bank deep enough to bury it in and hope it stuck in enough to hold us up till we could get out and climb to safety...luckily that worked.

During the time that seemed like hours all I could think of was what the hell am I doing here? I should be with my family and not here. There were so many thoughts of what to do and say that I've never normally thought of going through my mind.

Once we'd radioed through to the control and we all managed to eventually winch our vehicle out, my legs just buckled and I dropped to the ground. Guess it was nerves or the like, but gave up racing after that event.

It made me realise that could of been my last day alive on this planet and there’s more important things to do with my time. I never did tell anyone for a few years after as I just couldn’t believe how luck we were.

Nath

Trending Topics

Old 29 August 2003, 12:13 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Had a loaded double barrelled shotgun pointed at my head. Won't go into details of how the situation happened but I felt calm and only thought in my head was that when he pulled the trigger, i'd not feel a thing! Luckily, he didn't and he handed me the gun. I'm terrified of anything 'gun like' now, still, not something you come across every day!!!
Old 29 August 2003, 12:15 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Met a French lady at the end of a long day. Me on my bike, she in her Citroen Safari thing.

Me riding on the left (as you do in England), her driving on the right (as you do in France).

Going in opposite directions, both at around 50mph.

I saw her coming just in time to make a dive for the verge (which was on the left, for we were indeed in England at the time). The impact removed the right hand cylinder from the engine (BMW Boxer) and launched me over the car and about 30' down the road.

I can remember being incredibly angry that I still had things I wanted to do and that all I could see was blue,grey,blue,grey as I turned over in the air. I remember not curling up because I was afraid of breaking my neck if I did and then just relaxing and thinking "what the hell - I'm going to die now anyway." That probably saved my life.

I landed on the road and stopped sliding on the grass verge. I missed a steel 5 bar gate by about 6' and some farm machinery was about 8' away on the other side of the thin hedge.

Sat up in time to see my bike land on its wheels and bounce, turn over and land on the tank.

The impact tore the engine out of the Citroen and pu it into the hedge on the other side of the road. I apparently kicked the windscreen out on the way over the top.

Total injury to me - one shattered elbow.

First copper on the scene was a biker. Sees a white BMW with auxiliary lights etc and a bloke on the ground with a white Bell helmet and Police style leathers. It's fair to say that he was very hostile toward the driver

SB
Old 29 August 2003, 12:17 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

that's what I'm getting at Nat - when your in a situation where things hang in the balance, what are what could be your last thoughts - and has it made you view life any differently.

Thinking back, I was amazed at how calm and almost serene everything seemed, I didn't even feel scared or nervous, but a kind of calmness overtook me - you read about it in some wartime srvival accounts where ppl don't think about anything but how to deal with the mess they're in, and others where people have their life flash before them or think about family etc.

It's had no effect on my life tho - although I'd love to get another bike my missus won't let me - and as I've got a little boy now I can't really justify it to myself - when you ride a bike, esp a 70 mile round daily round trip in an out of London, it's a case of 'when' rather than 'if' you have an accident...

[Edited by Boss Hogg - 8/29/2003 1:31:55 PM]
Old 29 August 2003, 12:21 PM
Scooby Regular

Bike/van/no chance to stop.

I was doing 60 at the time (in a 60 zone) and was given perhaps 15 feet to stop when a dozy driver pulled out on me.

I hit the van, went over the roof, and landed on the grass verge, then slid 20 feet. No lasting damage, but I destroyed the bike, punted the van's engine off its mountings, and was incredibly lucky not to have hit anything solid. After that I started to wear a back protector on the road and got much better leathers with body armour.
Old 29 August 2003, 12:47 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

I nearly died from an asthma attack when I was 18, a little over a week before I sat my A-levels. I took them still drugged up to the eyeballs to keep me breathing, and shaking so much from the medication I could barely hold a pen.

A bloke high as a kite on something pulled a knife on me in a nighclub when I was 17. Not sure if I thought I was going to die, but it was plenty scary enough. Last thing I saw of him was as the bouncers removed him from the club, no doubt to give him the kicking of his life.
Old 29 August 2003, 12:50 PM
Luke
BANNED

Twice (maybe I am Lucky Luke!!) I hope never to experience them again....

Things go very quiet and its a very unusual feeling
Old 29 August 2003, 12:52 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Some muppet pulled out at 30mph from the slow lane into the fast lane (for no reason- wasnt overtaking anything!) when i was doing about 90 on a very clear dual carrigeway..
Pulled out when i was very close to them- instinct took over and slammed on the brakes etc, went sideways blah blah blah...

Scared the cr*p out of me- as stated before- everything slowed down

Old 29 August 2003, 01:04 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Twice for me aswell,
1) stone wall/lampost @ around 100, was tearing down a road i thought i knew very well and suddenly remembered a 90 deg bend just as it appeared. my fault completely and lesson learnt.

2) drove into a full skip at speed, they dont move, this one wasnt my fault though, unlit road, rusty skip with no warning light/markings/cones placed in the road.i saw the skip when it was around 10 feet in front of me.

on both occasions i had the same feeling, this is it..
seconds seemed to take minuites and i felt really calm, weird isnt it.
Old 29 August 2003, 01:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

About 10 times in total and the last biggy got me good and proper.

Even remember doing the "float" which I used to think was bóllócks.
Old 29 August 2003, 01:18 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Bike job again.....

Coming around a corner at a fair old rate of knots, and a car coming the other way did a u-turn.

I had time to think and clearly work out that I was going to hit the car. Didn't think I'd be *awake* at the end of it.

Got the slow motion **** first, and then that distinctive crumpling metal sound that tends to follow it. Once heard, never forgotton. Not nice. Walked away from it (albeit with a limp)

A different one, three years ago. I was riding my horse and as per usual, he was off like ten men down one of the fields. Full flat out gallop kinda thing.....

Then his head/neck disappeared from in front of me, and I started to fly through the air. The last thing I saw before everything went blank was horse (oss) doing, what can be best described as a forward roll, with his hind quarters vertically in the air heading straight towards me.

Quick thought was: "Im going to get crushed"

Came too on field with horse stood next to me, then the little **** ran off home without me. Got a lift back to yard with old farmer in his Range Rover, who calmly told me that I'd been laid out for nearly a minute before moving, and he thought I was dead. Saddle was broken, my hat was broken, and I felt ****, but again walked away from it.

No more thankyou !!!

Old 29 August 2003, 01:21 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

I drank a 1ltr bottle of vodka and passed out several times. thought i was gunna die. good old yorkshire body fat got me through tho
Old 29 August 2003, 01:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

During the infamous 'fuel surge' spin I spent the first 50% of the time trying to get the car to react to anything I did and the following 50% of the time (when I was going sideways across the wrong side of the road at about 60mph!!) I was just sitting and waiting to stop, hit something or die! If anything had been coming the other way I'd likely not be typing this as it would be a combined impact speed of 100odd mph into my side!!

I got lucky
Old 29 August 2003, 01:29 PM
ChrisB

In 1998 I had a big ****** of a car crash. Uno + roundabout + diesel + lamp post through drivers door = 10 days in orthopaedic trauma whilst they fixed my femur up. Oh, a few months of physio to learn to walk again as well.

The first thing I can remember is waking up the following morning on a pre-theatre ward felling very very crap. I know that I was conscious as the Fire Brigade cut the roof off my car as a work colleague went past and stopped. My family met me at A&E and also said I was speaking. The Police breathalysed me at A&E - something I have no knowledge of whatsoever.

I guess you can blank out bad experiences?
Old 29 August 2003, 01:30 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I was just sitting and waiting to stop, hit something or die!
I remember doing that when I span my car off the road and (eventually) up on to the central island of a roundabout last year!
Old 29 August 2003, 01:51 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

M1 - Friday rush hour, good visibility still light. I went to overtake a line of 3 lorries in my little Corsa, the middle one pulled out in front of me to overtake the first one but there was plenty of room, wasn't really expecting the second one to pull out into my drivers door.

THe car spun into the front of hte lorry and I remember watching the hard shoulder as he must have pushed me along in front of himself. It felt like for ages and that's the first time I've ever screamed out of pure terror....I remember thinking of a program about pile ups on the motorway and that I was probably going to die (Corsa v's 44t Spanish lorry, not much of a chance).

Still, he must have pulled right because I hit the crash barrier backwards and took out about 20ft of barrier before bouncing back into the middle lane of the motorway. I pressed the brakes as hard as possible and looked up to see another lorry heading straight towards me...not thoughts of death this time, just had to move the car so I didn't kill anyone else! Engine started on the 4th attempt (I had one foot out the door at that point the lorry was still going quite quick!) and managed to drive onto the hard shoudler with 3 wheels Police were quite impressed.

The only thing that saved my life? The towbar. Needless to say it was replaced with another Corsa and I refused to pick it up from the garage without a towbar already fitted!
Old 29 August 2003, 02:15 PM
yoza
BANNED

I once had a BigMac......
Old 29 August 2003, 02:30 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

January 2001. Turned out to be Appendicitus, but it was 4 days before the doctors realised what it was. Not eating, not drinking, just constantly producing green bile from both ends. After I was operated on and went to have the staples removed (all 32 of them ) I was told I was 48 hours from death when they operated. Which was weird cos I remember lying back and just not caring any more. I felt incredibly calm. I remember "Drifting off" and even the pain started to go away. Then the doctors came in and gave me the examination which would lead to my operation and I snapped out of it and got back to being ill. It was at this point i realised what "The will to live" was all about.
Probably the closest I've ever come. luckily I cant come that close again. Unless I have two appendix's
astraboy.
Old 29 August 2003, 02:31 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

u sure they hadnt given u some morphine
Old 29 August 2003, 02:32 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Driving through Lincolnshire in my 1430 Mini, long, straight, flat road, over took an Artic, half way past a Volvo emerges from the heat haze ahead. I hit the brakes, the Volvo hits the brakes and then the Artic hits the brakes

Eventually the Artic driver realised I was braking too (I was sideways in the road at this point) and let off the brakes so I could tuck in behind with inches to spare.

Second big one was on my bike down a fast country A road, come round a corner and find a tractor and big spiky thing has just pulled out in front of me, he stops blocking my lane completely and a truck is coming the other way. I actually aimed for the gap and shut my eyes thinking "this is it", very relaxed, very calm. After what felt like a lifetime I gingerly opened 1 eye to find I'd missed them both! No idea how close I came to hitting either vehicle, but it must have been tight.
Old 29 August 2003, 02:33 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

no. thats why I was in so much pain. they were only giving me paracetamol for some reason
astraboy.
Old 29 August 2003, 02:53 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

ChrisB - its called post traumatic amnesia I beleive. I have no recollection of an accident i was in on the M4 in Dec 1989 - back seat, big pile up, big head injury.

The first thing I remember is going back to school in late Feb
Old 29 August 2003, 03:25 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

I was late meeting my girlfriend last night - does that count as a near death experience

laters

stu

Quick Reply: Ever been in a situation where you thought you would die?