Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should the postmen strike?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 10:15 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Apparently there is gonna be a ballot of postmen to strike for more money. PO have offered 4.5% UCW want 14.5 %.Surely the postmen should think themselves lucky to have such a simple job. After all it cant be that hard to push a few letters thru ppl's letter boxes.Or can it.

Still I suppose it's better tha walkking the streets.

Chip.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Still I suppose it's better tha walkking the streets.

That's what they will end up doing if they go on strike.

UB
Old 27 August 2003, 10:19 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

The problem is no one appreciates(sp) anything anyone does anymore
Old 27 August 2003, 10:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Smile

No, striking is wrong, imho, argue for more pay by all means but strike, no!

I don't see why they don't put the price of stamps up a bit, 20 odd pence to trail round the country is fecking cheap!

And yes it is difficult posting stuff, well it is here in rural Yorksire where we don't have proper street signs and folk insist on taking the number off their houses and giving it a crap name instead
Old 27 August 2003, 10:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

UB,
Who's a clever boy then

chip.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If the postmen go on strike, I can see the SN For Sale forum taking a big hit

Old 27 August 2003, 10:34 PM
starstruck
Scooby Regular

On what grounds are the UCW making this claim ?

They can hardly claim new duties, new technology etc, such as the FBU did.

The Fireman also, initially, had public support. Can't see the Posties having such support.

Trending Topics

Old 27 August 2003, 10:36 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Post Office loses 750,000 a day or a week (can't remember which)

Either way, to use an old expression "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

UB
Old 27 August 2003, 10:37 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

The working man should have the right to withdraw his labour if he is getting fooked about ! None of this softly, softly sh!te !!

IMO of course
Old 27 August 2003, 10:39 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Yup ! agree with the upping stamps. The other carriers are not shy when it comes to delivering stuff.
Old 27 August 2003, 10:42 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well if they do decide to go on strike it will give the goverment another excuse to privatise the postal service. And about time to imho, can't belive how long it takes them to deliver a letter with a first class stamp and how many letters seem to get lost.

Richard
Old 27 August 2003, 10:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong , BUT ...... I always thought it was illegal to obstruct the passage of the queens mail...eg. our letters....
Old 27 August 2003, 10:47 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Having to wait till the next day for a letter is fecking ridiculous isn't it...in this day and age!

I wonder how much they could of saved by not fooking around with that Consignia bollox
Old 28 August 2003, 12:24 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

how much does your average postman earn?
Old 28 August 2003, 12:28 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on - lets get something straight here!!

The lazy Firemen wanted £30k for doing Fukc All!!!

Postie wants £18k for doing a bl00dy PROPER job!!!

The posties across the country have the FULL support of one pslewis!!

Pete
Old 28 August 2003, 12:32 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

I would'nt call pushing paper through ( clearly marked out ) holes in doors a proper job.

Glorified paper boys if you ask me, they should take a cut.
Old 28 August 2003, 12:36 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

When THIS is on the OTHER end of the letter you are posting I would say they EARN EVERY penny

- compare, if you will, a Fireman, feet up playing Tomb Raider on a Playststion for 99% of his duty time and tell me Postie doesn't deserve a living wage!!!!

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 8/28/2003 12:37:14 AM]
Old 28 August 2003, 12:39 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Twaddle, would a fireman leave a letter:

" sorry, we were unable to put out your fire today, please call 999 to collect the remains of your house / family / loved ones ".

edit to say - what do alsastians have to do with postmen anyway?

[Edited by mj - 8/28/2003 12:40:44 AM]
Old 28 August 2003, 08:29 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Angry

This is the problem when the Labour government are allowed to stay in too long IMO - we move back to a world of militancy.

Why does everyone automatically revert to striking as if we've gone back 30 years? FFS. Yer average postie hardly has the most stressful job ever!

I was listening to the the CEO of the PO and the Union guy representing the posties yesterday on the Radio. The female CEO was incredibly reasonable and was clearly frustrated that, even after offering to go to mediation, the union chap was being a sad posturing **** and was full of his self importance.

The problem with the PO is the restriction on stamp prices. It's a declining industry (as post is replaced by e-mails, text messages and the like) so inevitably the benefits of scale are diminishing and they need to be able to charge more - back to the interference of the regulator (read governement) who are effectively crippling the business.

Gordo
Old 28 August 2003, 08:45 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

lmao @ Pete
Old 28 August 2003, 08:48 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I think they revert to striking when all other options have been exhausted. Surely they should have the right to withdraw their labour?

Personally I think at this time they would be well advised NOT to strike, even though I believe they at least deserve a pay rise in line with inflation. When a company is making as big a loss as the Royal Mail everyone needs to do their best to turn things round.
Old 28 August 2003, 09:06 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

The main thing is - they they won't get any sympathy from the public if they strike
Old 28 August 2003, 10:02 AM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

Not usually in favour of this type of action, but I think it time to look at exactly why management of huge corporations continually provoke trouble. Adam Crozier is the latest in this line. As head of the FA and having watched many Football League clubs approach bankruptcy, he was considered a plum choice to run Royal Mail. His credentials for doing so are substantially less than mine, since I have a reasonable knowlrdge of the postal service, and I don't have a history of wrecking a once-flourishing business.
Sat in his ivory tower, twiddling his thumbs for something to do during his first week, he decided to scrap all Royal Mail trains, the Royal Mail cross-London underground line, and all other non road transport, putting a massive number of extra lorries on our gridlocked roads. He is an example of how our industries appear to want only bosses with a proven record of failure to come into fat cat land. I'd look no further than Crozier for the source of the problem.
Old 28 August 2003, 10:30 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Right you guys lets get this straight, I'm a postman, and a pay deal was promised to us 2 years ago where we should be on £300 a week, not take home pay, gross wages, My currant wages are £260, before tax etc, I then bring home under £200 a week, so I think what Royal mail have done is well out of order, nevermind all the managers that are on between £40,000 to £50,000 a year, that when the company was restructed 2 years ago were put on special projects, beacause they didn't have a proper job to do, I mean we have a manager on 50k a year filling in for postmen drivers in the meantime he is playing a bout with his bloody laptop, If you are an early delivery guy, you have to out of bed before 4am in all weathers, I myself work the late shift, so I don't start work until midday then I don't finish till 8PM, MJ your comments about us being glorified paper boys/girls, all I say to you is get up at 4am go into an office sort mail, then throw up your delivery and then go out and deliver it, I'm not talking a few items here and there, around 2,000 items have to be sorted by every postman each morning, then go out and face the public, espcially these ***** waiting for their DSS cheques, and if they are late the abuse we have to take from them, I have to admit most people are really nice but like every job you get the odd tosspot, at the end of the day all we are asking is a fair wage for doing a job.
Any questions I will try and answer, BTW Adam Crozier would'nt know a letter even if was shoved up his ar$e, the guys a total prat.
Cheers
Colin
P.S. Chip if you think it is that simple you go and do it, people like you really pi$$ me off.
[Edited by Scoob99 - 8/28/2003 10:33:07 AM]

[Edited by Scoob99 - 8/28/2003 10:37:47 AM]
Old 28 August 2003, 10:39 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Scoob99, very relevant comments, my best mates a Posty, and hes so f**kin tired all the time from overtime he hardly has a life- main problem I see is divorcing the political side of the debate from helping the actual workers- the Post office union is one of the only bodies left with any type of power at all, lets hope they acn be sensible and understand what their real aims are rather than flexing their muscles at New Labour & its Thatcherite puppets.
Old 28 August 2003, 10:48 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks Rich, yes lets hope so.
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 August 2003, 10:50 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

P.S. Lewis thank you mate.
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 August 2003, 10:58 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Until my postie learns to actually out the letters through the letter box (not half way), learns that my house is neither number 10 nor number 14, makes at least some attempt to not have the rain destroy my post when it's wet (I don't mind a bit of dampness, but totally soaked and then shredded because he can't be arsed to put them through the letter box properly is no good) I may support strike action.
Old 28 August 2003, 11:08 AM
Student Bloody Lamo.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

our Postie is habitually putting wrong numbered post in our door and our post next door, doesnt wait after pushing the doorbell to see if you really are in to deliver your parcel before popping the crap post-it note throught the door.
Posties like fireman should just be gratefull they have a job and STFU and stop whinging about it.
Dont like it, get another job because there are hundreds of thousands of genuinly unemployed out there who would love a job like that and wouldnt moan like girls about the pay.
simple choice, work and accept the conditions, or change it by moving to a better paid job.
Do not expect sympathy on this one though, the firemen in our area got real grief on the pickett line outside the station towards the end.
Its an underated job by all means, but that doesnt mean you can strike ***** nilly to change things, vote with your feet.

Student.
(telling it like it is)
Old 28 August 2003, 11:10 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Scooby99 - you have my support. I find most posties are really nice and are always talk to you. I for one would not like to be getting up at 4am every day especially during the winter for the pittance you get paid.

It gets my goat that others have the nerve to call posties overpaid lazy people when they have never done the job.

I think the post office is brilliant. Posted my blitz exhaust with £500 insurance for £12 to wales. Bargain seeing as the box was massive and I couldnt even fit it in the scoobs boot. Most of the letters I post take 1 or 2 days tops even to my parents out in the sticks in cornwall. Never had anything go missing. Special delivery guarantees delivery before 12noon for about £3.60

Simon.

Quick Reply: Should the postmen strike?